I've been looking at the Harley Benton guitar kits (strat and tele) and was wondering if these are any good. It's mostly for the practise and satisfaction of building a guitar, but I'm just curious how good quality these guitars are and hoped someone here could tell me.

All help is greatly appreciated.
I don't have one, but seeing it's from Thomann (whom has never let me down in products :P) it would be a nice starter/practising for quite a low price.
To be honest, I think 95% of the kits you can buy are all out of the same Chinese factory.

Don't expect great things, I built a very similar kit, it's long since been thrown out - it was a good experience in terms of re-finishing etc, but other than that they aren't the best.

There are some nicer kits available, but if you are seriously thinking about building a strat ot tele, I'd source the bits seperately and build it that way - you will end up with a much nicer guitar.
Carvin's kits might be significantly better.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

A friend of mine built a guitar from a Carvin kit, and it was quite a good guitar.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by mark_wuk
To be honest, I think 95% of the kits you can buy are all out of the same Chinese factory.

Don't expect great things, I built a very similar kit, it's long since been thrown out - it was a good experience in terms of re-finishing etc, but other than that they aren't the best.

There are some nicer kits available, but if you are seriously thinking about building a strat ot tele, I'd source the bits seperately and build it that way - you will end up with a much nicer guitar.

It's mostly about the experience of building. I plan to build a Telecaster by sourcing all the bits seperately and making sure each component is quality, but I firgure for about £60 I can get a good experience and some practice for when I do build a better one.
The Harley Benton guitar kits are not that good. Just look at the body and description of this strat kit.

Harley Benton DIY electric guitar kit - Stratocaster style, solid untreated wood body, one piece maple neck with rosewood thomann fingerboard, diecast machine heads, vintage tremolo, 3 single coil pick-ups, instructions included, no soldering necessary. Tools required: screwdriver. Colour: Natural.

In that pic I can see that the body is at least 6pc and in the description it doesn't tell you what kind of wood it is. The variation in colour says that whatever they are using, it's not very consistent and that's not good. You can have a 4pc or 5pc body and still have it give you good tone but it's important that the wood is matched up well rather than random pieces slapped together and it's important that they let you know what kind of wood you are getting.

Ultimately, you are not going to be getting the experience of building a guitar, you are going to get the experience of finishing a guitar and the final instrument isn't going to be that good.

In terms of bang for your buck the www.diyguitarshop.com kits are the best that I've found. At this point in time I've just finished building my 6th guitar from them and am getting ready to start a 7th. The bodies on the diyguitarshop kits tend to be 3 or 4 pc but they are made with woods like alder, ash, or mahogany and the pieces are matched up well. The hardware with these kits is ok, not great, but not bad enough to need replaced. The pickups are not very good but that's part of the reason I get these kits. I build pickups for a living so I buy these kits so that I can have workhorse guitars to take to shows and showcase my pickups.

No strat and tele kits make you feel like you have really built a guitar when you are done but they are still fun and you learn a lot about how to setup the guitar. Most people that have gotten reasonable kit guitars and had bad experiances with the finished product didn't bother to do things like fine tune the neck, file the nut, and level the frets so it's important that you don't forget the little things.