Hey bass forum! I'm getting my P-bass sprayed arctic white, but the dude who's doing it just wants the body, as he doesn't want to take the thing apart himself, which presents me with a problem. Even though I imagine it's easy enough to remove the neck, bridge, pickguard and electronics - I don't want to just remove it all without knowing if there is anything I need to do with the neck or various other parts to make sure none of it is irrepairably damaged by my general ham-handedness.

tl;dr - taking bass apart, what do with neck and electronics?

Thanks
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Disassembling is pretty straightforward. The worst thing you could probably do is strip a screw or something. If your hand or screwdriver slips and a wire comes loose, no big deal, just solder it back into place later.

The only real precautions I'd say to take are: 1) store your neck in a place where the temperature and humidity don't fluctuate too much, and 2) keep all your pickguard screws and neck-screws, and your bridge in a plastic bag, and keep it with the neck and pickguard/electronics. Little parts have a nasty habit of wandering off.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 23, 2010,
First of all remove strings.
Then start with the neck blots. Slowly loosen each one at a time and dont take one out at a time but loosen them all in order so they pretty much come out toghether.
Then remove the bridge. Straightforward enough.
Then the electronics. First unscrew the input so it can be pulled into the body. Because its a p-bass you can just unscre the pickguard and the pots will be attached to it and the input. So you can lift that off taking care. The unscre the pickup and lift it off along with the pickguard.

Store all the stuff in a safe box so you dont loose it all.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks guys
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212