Good afternoon!
I'm new here... so, hi everyone! I've been alot on UG to get some tabs... but i guess it's time to say hi to UG ^^

Anyway, my question is.
Can you plug a guitar into your windows computer? And edit the sound with a program like GarageBands?
I heard you can with a Mac, but is this possible for a windows?
I would like to try it out if it's possible...
Thanks in advance!
well to start, you can't connect a guitar directly to a computer just with one cable. You need some sort of interface such as the M-Audio Fast Track, which you plug your guitar into, and then plug the Fast Track into your computer via a USB cable. It's about $70 i think, but its well worth it. And, just so you know, GarageBand is for Macs only, so you couldn't use GarageBand on your windows. But, the Fast Track comes bundled with some pretty decent editing software.

Oh, and welcome to UG.
LEEDLE LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE
Yes it's possible with various programs - i personally don't do it because i believe it sounds she-ite

But i guess it's free etc etc

You can plug straight in if you have a lead with PC jack in it and it comes straight out the speakers - but it sounds mostly crap.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Line 6 guitar port and podfarm software
Its what i use
Ibanez RGA 121
Yahama Pacifica -- painted purple and blue
2000 American Standard Strat
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
MXR Phase 90 with R28 switchable mod
USA Big Muff
Quote by CroMag523
well to start, you can't connect a guitar directly to a computer just with one cable. You need some sort of interface such as the M-Audio Fast Track, which you plug your guitar into, and then plug the Fast Track into your computer via a USB cable. It's about $70 i think, but its well worth it. And, just so you know, GarageBand is for Macs only, so you couldn't use GarageBand on your windows. But, the Fast Track comes bundled with some pretty decent editing software.

Oh, and welcome to UG.

You can connect with just one cable. Most sound cards come with a recording program or audio suite that comes up upon insertion of the jack.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Thanks for the replies!
But i'm not going to try it... its gonna sound crappy i guess, not worth it.
But thanks anyway ^^
What I would do is buy a mic, a XLR to 1/4" cable, and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. You would be able to plug it into the microphone port on the computer, and just put the mic by your amp. Granted this won't give you the best tone, but it'll be better than nothing.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Guitar-USB-Interface-Link-Cable-PC-MAC-Recording-NEW-/250665876360?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a5cd9bb88

It's dirt cheap, and mine actually came with Guitar Rig 2, which was a pirated copy I don't doubt. Guitar Rig is pretty ****ing amazing, but it's expensive as hell to buy off their website (they're competing with amps after all). I didn't think it sounded crappy at all. In fact, I was extremely impressed. There was a bit of hissing here and there on certain amp simulators, but I dunno if that's a quality issue. And yes, it lets you record. I'm not sure if it has any editing or mixing functionality, but it's a direct line from your guitar.
Get an external recorder - it's mucho mucho better than any inter PC connection.

I got a Zoom H4 for 25 pounds

Scour ebay etc, it doesn't have to be perfect - if you go on my profile the Zenith recordings and are few others are Zoom H4 recordings with no external editing.

You could get the boss recorder its around 100 pounds, probably the cheapest one (RRP) around.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
In trying to set up Guitar Rig (an amplifier modeling program), I found that first, one needs a sound card that has the appropriate capabilities, and a line-in jack.
Then, there is a big problem with latency. Just running the program like that did not work. There is a substantial delay between picked note and actual sound.
So, you then need either to use one of the devices the guys mention above, that bypass all the Windows sound software, or use a downloadable and free program that does the same thing.
Naturally, the better the sound card you have the better the results....
Yeah the USB device I used for Guitar Rig didn't have any latency issues at all. My PC is like 5 years old.
Quote by Anthony1991
Get an external recorder - it's mucho mucho better than any inter PC connection.

Uhh... no? If you know what you're doing and you're using an interface like the lin6 Studio Pods it's quite possible to get studio-quality results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk01HJmysPo
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Or you could just do what I did: Throw down $700 and get Pro Tools 8 with an MBox2. Then you have the same software that most professionals use. All that you will be lacking is hardware.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I can plug my guitar directly into my Dell M1330 which has a plain Sigmatel audio card and I run the ASIO4ALL drivers and have no issues at all with latency.
i have a line 6 tone port, and imo, the heavy distortion sounds like garbage, but the cleans are amazing.