Hi, I want to know if my pots are 250k or 500k. How can you see that?

Thanks in Advance
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Aria Steel String acoustic
It's usually stamped on the back of the pot.

Also, as a broad generalisation, if you have humbuckers they are likely to be 500K, if you have single coils they are likely to be 250k, but that doesn't always hold true.
Get a multimeter, and measure the resistance at "10" or "0", i think its 10 but cant remember. This will tell you if they are 250, 500k or anything else. Then, set it to "5" and measure, if its half of the original value then its a linear taper. If its only a small fraction of the original then its logarithmic. If, for some strange reason, its nearly all of the original, then its anti-log, but those are rare so you shouldnt have one.
You can just measure the oustide lugs for the rating. Normally it is printed right on them, so that makes it much easier.

For the method minnis is describing, it would be between one outside lug and the middle lug, at 10 or 0, it could either be close to full resistance between those two lugs, or almost no resistance. At 5, on a linear it should have equal resistance on both sides. At 5 on a log, it will have a smaller value one one side, and a larger value on the other.

The resistances of both "sides" should add up to be the overall value, or the resistance between the 2 outer lugs.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
It's usually written on it. If it's not, take an ohmmeter and measure the resistance accross pin 1 and 3(not the middle one!).
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Also note that a pot is normally never right on the dot and they can be way off (by the hundreds!).

This is why some people buy pots by the bucketload, measure them, and find those few that are closely rated as possible.

I just bought some 1M CTS pots and out of a handful of them only 1 was near the actual rating. The others ranged from 40-110K off! (although 40K off is acceptable for a 1M pot, imo).
Last edited by elbiatcho1 at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by elbiatcho1
Also note that a pot is normally never right on the dot and they can be way off (by the hundreds!).

This is why some people buy pots by the bucketload, measure them, and find those few that are closely rated as possible.

I just bought some 1M CTS pots and out of a handful of them only 1 was near the actual rating. The others ranged from 40-110K off! (although 40K off is acceptable for a 1M pot, imo).

That pretty much applies to every components. A component will never be exactly what it's marked on it. It's physically impossible. It's called tolerance. A 470 ohm 10% tolerance resistor for example will have a value within 10% of 470 ohm. Another example that comes to mind is in power amps. The first 2(the differencial amp section) transistors should always have a very similar beta, if not the same. People will buy loads of transistors and get two identical ones for replacement.

Also the multimeter can be something else to keep in mind. Some meters are more accurate then others. When you look at the specs it should be written somewhere what the % of accuracy is. If it's not there, don't buy it :P .
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Thx for your replys guys. I very much appreciate it
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Aria Steel String acoustic