So my Tube Screamer is nearing the end of its life, and I really love this thing. I'm wondering, when this thing finally kicks the bucket should I just replace it with a new one, or do you guys have any good recommendations for any other similar overdrive pedals?

thanks in advance.
similar to wat?

But the TS9 is always a good default answer
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Keeler Designs have some awesome OD's, The OCd is a classic as is the Crowther Hotcake. If you're willing to drop serious cash the Effectrodes look good.

But if you really love the TS, look into the maxon Ts9 pro model. Bit more than the standard but sounds really full and rich.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
The Onerr carbonX overdrive is a very good overdrive pedal imho. What kind of amp do you have?
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
I love the Zakk Wylde Overdrive. I do only use it as a lead boost, though... Tightens lower end, boosts as much as you tell set it, LOADS of gain even when you set it minimally.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by Chikao42
I love the Zakk Wylde Overdrive. I do only use it as a lead boost, though... Tightens lower end, boosts as much as you tell set it, LOADS of gain even when you set it minimally.

Isn't the ZW overdrive basically an SD-1 in a new enclosure?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Isn't the ZW overdrive basically an SD-1 in a new enclosure?

Not really; it's got more gain, its more transparent, it drives the tubes harder and tightens up the bottom end.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
Quote by julzius
similar to wat?

But the TS9 is always a good default answer

Sorry I should have been more clear, similar to the Tube Screamer. Thanks for all the recs guys. The Fulltone definitely caught my eye, they make great pedals.

Quote by jeffbecklad
The Onerr carbonX overdrive is a very good overdrive pedal imho. What kind of amp do you have?

I'll make sure to check that one out, I'm running it through a Analogman mini-comp and into Twin Reverb.
Last edited by ledhed68 at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by ledhed68
Sorry I should have been more clear, similar to the Tube Screamer. Thanks for all the recs guys. The Fulltone definitely caught my eye, they make great pedals.

If you've got a high budget, you will not go wrong with a Fulltone OCD.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
I use a Rat, got a great dirty tone
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by jeffbecklad

at last someone else who has one!
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Fulltone OCD, hands down. There is no comparison.

best pedal I ever tried/used
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by cliff_em_all
Keeler Designs have some awesome OD's, The OCd is a classic as is the Crowther Hotcake. If you're willing to drop serious cash the Effectrodes look good.

But if you really love the TS, look into the maxon Ts9 pro model. Bit more than the standard but sounds really full and rich.

The OCD is in no way similar to a tubescreamer sound.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Im sure its not similar but in the early testing stages of my new setup my DLS v2 is sounding pretty sweet!
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
I'd look at the Maxon line of pedals. They were the originators of the Tube Screamer and they still put the JC chip in their pedals. Solid too. Maxon OD9 or the OD808 are great pedals. MAB signature pedal is also a really smooth overdrive.
So after a bunch of ridiculous recommendations that could or could not fit what you want, what do you plan on using the OD for?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm a boss guy I have a super overdrive,DS-1 and DS-2 and I use them all for different things...I'm using a keely modded ds-1 with the ultra mod but not slamming on keely but I liked it better stock....
I have a analog man modded DOD 250 and its a really cool pedal,kinda in between the sd-1 and a ds-1 sounds alittle more fuzzy than a ds-1

Ever tried the visual sounds jekel and hyde? I had one it was kinda like a tube screamer and a ds-2 in 1 box
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by TriviumFan717
I'd look at the Maxon line of pedals. They were the originators of the Tube Screamer and they still put the JC chip in their pedals. Solid too. Maxon OD9 or the OD808 are great pedals. MAB signature pedal is also a really smooth overdrive.

I heard that Ibanez still puts the JRC4558s into the TS7? Not sure if it's true or not.
Just get an IbAnez Tubescreamer. But not the TS7, thats the cheap knockoff version.

Ibanez TS9, TS9DX, TS808
Maxon OD9, OD808

are what I would look at
Quote by Tedward
I heard that Ibanez still puts the JRC4558s into the TS7? Not sure if it's true or not.

correct.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The Lovepedal Kalamazoo is amazing for lead tones, check it out.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by handbanana
Just get an IbAnez Tubescreamer. But not the TS7, thats the cheap knockoff version.

Ibanez TS9, TS9DX, TS808
Maxon OD9, OD808

are what I would look at

It's the same ****ing circuit made by the same company. How is that a knock off?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs