hey guys, I gots a dumb question for ya today. I'm just fooling around, attempting to record on my computer, and I decided to try pluging my acoustic/electric into it straight through the microphone input.

It sounds great! No feedback at all, crisp and clean acoustic sound. Basically, very similar to a real studio recording.

My question is: is this bad for the computer? If it is, I wanna stop doing it immediatly, but if it isn't, then I definitely want to use it!

Also, would electric guitar (clean and distorted) and bass guitar (clean and distorted) be bad for the input?

Thanks!
Are you using the Microphone input? If so, you should be using the Blue input jack on the back of the computer.

Other than that, no, it shouldn't harm the computer. A lot of people actually direct plug bass and clean guitar. Your sound card might have trouble with Distortion though.

Glad you're enjoying the tone!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
There is a lot of risk involved with plugging it into a mic port. Its not meant to handle much more than the average person talking on it and you can blow your mic port if you do something stupid.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
if you think that is good, imagine what it would sound like through the proper equipment.

won't hurt the cpu, enjoy!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by lockwolf
There is a lot of risk involved with plugging it into a mic port. Its not meant to handle much more than the average person talking on it and you can blow your mic port if you do something stupid.

I'm fairly certain this is completely wrong. Never in all my experience of DIY recording (I have a lot) has plugging directly into the computer been an issue. And mic ports can handle a lot more than just talking. A black metal scream that can overdrive an average microphone from two rooms away causes no damage to the computer even when I put the microphone IN MY MOUTH and do it.
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
I'm fairly certain this is completely wrong. Never in all my experience of DIY recording (I have a lot) has plugging directly into the computer been an issue. And mic ports can handle a lot more than just talking. A black metal scream that can overdrive an average microphone from two rooms away causes no damage to the computer even when I put the microphone IN MY MOUTH and do it.

Its relative to your sound card. The stock sound on most PCs can't. If you've got a separate sound card, most have a better designed preamp to handle music.

Basically, stock PC = No
Custom built PC with soundcard = Yes
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thats how i do my recording too, except that i plug into the line-in input on my laptop.
My setup is Guitar -> Boss GT8 -> laptop line-in.

The sound is clean even when i'm using heavy metal effect or any kind of effect.
Right now i'm unsure of getting a Line6 Pod Studio UX2, don't know if it necessary, whether it will improve the quality of guitar recording.
I'd use the Line In instead of the Microphone input. The mic in can cause feedback because it has a preamp on it.