How do i take care of a guitar that hasn't got any finish and seems to absorb my sweat whilst playing?
I don't really know what else to add, i don't feel wiping it with a damp cloth would be a good idea and i don't know what else to do..

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
All proper guitars have gloss. The difference is that some of them are high gloss(shiny), while others are matte finish.

You can use a damp cloth without worry. Just make sure it's mildly moist rather than dripping wet.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
if you don't feel like wiping your guitar down, and don't want to get sweat in/on it, why not get a piece of light fabric and play with it between you and the guitar OR always wear a light cotton long sleeved shirt when you play?
Are you sure it's unfinished? if so I'd at least seal it with an oil (e.g. Danish or Tung) or shellac. Shellac doesn't have to be applied with the expertise of French polishing to achieve some partial protection, even though it doesn't provide full protection against moisture (a good quality oil will though).
Cheers, to everyone. I'll just wipe the thing. I'm sure it does have some sort of finish. It's a Mahogany Martin 5-15s if anyone was wondering.

Quote by R.Christie
Are you sure it's unfinished? if so I'd at least seal it with an oil (e.g. Danish or Tung) or shellac. Shellac doesn't have to be applied with the expertise of French polishing to achieve some partial protection, even though it doesn't provide full protection against moisture (a good quality oil will though).

I haven't got the balls to rub oil into my guitar, i'm afraid. Cheers, though.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
i would definitely NEVER apply oil to the body of any guitar ever without talking to the manufacturer to make 100% sure that there's no finish. oil harm the finish if it's nitro or some other more fragile types of finish like a french polish or oil finish. it can remove it or cause it to turn into a gummy mess. also it can harm the joints if too much is used.

btw, not familiar with your particular guitar, but the 15 series has a satin finish, which means it IS finished.
Last edited by patticake at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by patticake
i would definitely NEVER apply oil to the body of any guitar ever without talking to the manufacturer to make 100% sure that there's no finish. oil harm the finish if it's nitro or some other more fragile types of finish like a french polish or oil finish. it can remove it or cause it to turn into a gummy mess. also it can harm the joints if too much is used.

btw, not familiar with your particular guitar, but the 15 series has a satin finish, which means it IS finished.

I wrote a 5 instead of a D. It's a D-15s.

I get confused between 5's and D's I don't know why.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
makes sense. nice guitar, btw - we were just playing a couple - and definitely finished

Quote by Jiggzy.UK
I wrote a 5 instead of a D. It's a D-15s.

I get confused between 5's and D's I don't know why.