so please answer me:
81b- 85n
85b- 81n
85b- 60n
(b=bridge, n=neck)
how do these cobinations sound? (clarity, harmonics, definition, fatness, brightness, sustain, etc.)
im leaning towards the 85 in the bridge, but who knows, i want to know as much as i possibly can about different combinations
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
What wood is the guitar you're putting them in?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
mahogany
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
LAst one.
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by Sumlover41
LAst one.

what i was thinking :P
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Now hold it just a god damn cuntt punching minute.... The EMG 85 is a warmer pickup than the 81. AND you're popping it in to a mahogany body guitar. You're gonna get a really, really warm sound like that, especially for a bridge pup. I would suggest an 81 and 60 combo, with them in the bridge and the neck, respectively
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Hey guys i was wondering if i could put emgs in my 2007 HH Mexican Fender Strat? Coz i wernt sure about f-spacing and all that.
Sorry but I have to say the 81b 60(a)n is the most verstile HH configuration for EMGs IMO

The 85 will be very muddy in a mahog guitar at the bridge, the 81 is very "EMG'ish" but it works great in a mahogany guitar... The 60a is an amazing pickup and coil splittable too...

maybe you should try them?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Sorry but I have to say the 81b 60(a)n is the most verstile HH configuration for EMGs IMO

The 85 will be very muddy in a mahog guitar at the bridge, the 81 is very "EMG'ish" but it works great in a mahogany guitar... The 60a is an amazing pickup and coil splittable too...

maybe you should try them?

an 81b? You mean an 81TW... I've never heard of an 81b that's coil-splittable.

But yeah, TS, try out these combinations and find out for yourself. Schecters are made of mahogany and many guitars use EMG's 81/85 or 81TW/89. I see ESP/LTD's using double 81's, 81/60's more than Schecter does.
B - bridge
N - neck

should have been clearer, my bad

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
B - bridge
N - neck

should have been clearer, my bad

I was thinking that's what you meant, but then you said 60A and coil-split so I thought 81TW

Oh don't you just hate guitar terms?

Indeed I do mate,

I used to just say "that one and this one"

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What guitar specifically are these being put in. Just having a mahogany body doesn't mean much, the neck wood, fretboard wood, hardware and construction matter just as much if not more than the body wood.

Though for now I'll add that you shouldn't really think of EMG pickups as being best in defined positions or work well together. With most modern pickup manufacturers who make diffreent neck and bridge models of each pickup then sure, you want to match them well and there are certain combinations and positions that won't sound too great to anyone. EMG have a much more old-school approach though, in that they don't make separate bridge and neck models and you should really take each position on its own rather than thinking of the pickups as a set.

For example, if you want a thick neck tone I would advise the 85. Doesn't matter what the bridge is, the 85 is the thick neck pickup of the EMG active range. Want a smooth neck tone but a little more open? Use a 60A, regardless of the bridge pickup. Want a brighter neck tone? Use an 81. Want a brighter and lighter neck tone? Use a 60.
Same goes for the bridge. Doesn't matter what pickup you put in the neck; work out what tone you want the bridge to give and use the pickup that gives that tone. All of the EMG pickups are around the same output and can be matched easily; they can also be swapped around very easily.

But more importantly than all of that, what is your amp? I can tell you right now, if you use that RP250 a lot then you're not going to want to use active pickups, other than active single coils (possibly the EMG 60A or 89 models - they can sometimes work out okay with multi-effects pedals). Generally you don't want to use active pickups with multi effects, POD units, solid state amps (unless you're a hardore jazz player) and so on. Active pickups are meant for naturally high-gain valve amps, solid state amps with excessive headroom and long pedal chains of dedicated stompbox and rack units.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I can't imagine buying non-X series EMGs at this point unless your only goal is to play metal with an 81 in the bridge. The X series just sounds so much more organic and natural. I'm also a fan of the 85X in the bridge - it's not excessively warm with most guitars.

So I would go 85X 60AX as a starting point for two humbuckers. My #1 uses an 85X SAX SAX setup.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jul 23, 2010,
@mrflibble, i see you know your stuff
i'm probably putting them in an ibanez rga32(mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard), and the only ones available to me are 60, 81, 85, 81x and 85x (long story)
i also intend to get a nice high gain tube amp in the future, rp250 is just for stuff like noise gate, delay, lil' bit of drive, and such stuff (on gigs & rehearsals i play on nice amps, so no biggie there)
also, yeah, i was referring to using 2 pickups in their (optimal)respectable positions, rarely together.
i'm not looking for coil splitting
so what would you recommend in bridge and neck, based on this:
i play mainly heavy metal, metal core, hardcore, thrash(testament), and those kind of genres (sometimes hard rock etc) with this guitar, and downtune a lot(drop B is the lowest i go), i like a full but still bright sound(with a lot of definition and clarity), in my humble opinion, i think that an 81 would do good? (how about 81x?)
as for solos, i go from sustaining emotional solo to shred, and i prefer a smooth, warmer(not muddy), yet clear sound, i guess the pick here is the 60(what do you say?)

@even bigger d, i'll look into the x series, thanks
however, i am worried that an 85 in a mahogany guitar will go muddy(especially with low tunings) :\

@tom1.0, thanks for the recommendation
i'm liking the 81/60 :P
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
i find the 81 in the bridge to be too bright. ive swapped it out in the bridge posish with the 60a several times just to compare, and every time the clear winner has been the 60a. also, when the 81 was in the bridge, id put the 60a in the neck and i found it to be way too muddy. the 85 makes a much better neck pup. the guitar my EMGs are in is also mahogany with rosewood fretboard, and lately its been staying at least a step and a half down.

i really cant speak for the X series or the ceramic 60. id like to try all of those but i dont want to just go spending money like that yet.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
i find the 81 in the bridge to be too bright. ive swapped it out in the bridge posish with the 60a several times just to compare, and every time the clear winner has been the 60a. also, when the 81 was in the bridge, id put the 60a in the neck and i found it to be way too muddy. the 85 makes a much better neck pup. the guitar my EMGs are in is also mahogany with rosewood fretboard, and lately its been staying at least a step and a half down.

i really cant speak for the X series or the ceramic 60. id like to try all of those but i dont want to just go spending money like that yet.

i can't get 60a anywhere
ps. heard it's not very effective @ metal
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
81 60 dont sound that bad really
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
60a is definitely effective at metal my friend. thats mainly whats been in my guitar. and i just looked at your location so its understandable if certain pups arent available to you. best of luck in finding a set you are happy with!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by simpleben09
Now hold it just a god damn cuntt punching minute.... The EMG 85 is a warmer pickup than the 81. AND you're popping it in to a mahogany body guitar. You're gonna get a really, really warm sound like that, especially for a bridge pup. I would suggest an 81 and 60 combo, with them in the bridge and the neck, respectively

This +million

I've tried an 85 in the bridge and it's really not as clear as an 81. It has slightly more output, but it's got a midrange hump which kinda mashes notes together.

The 81/60 combo is the way to go imo.
tried ltd ec-1001 and h-1001, both mahogany, both have 81 in bridge position, ec has 60 in the neck, h has 85 in the neck.
60 definitely sounds brighter than 85, both have very good harmonics, as for the 81, it rocks
so i think 81/60 should do fine
but, should i take 81/60 or 81x/60x? what's the difference?
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Out of the pickups you say you can get, and looking at the full spec of your guitar, an 81 is the obvious choice to me for the bridge position. The neck position is a little harder. I would suggest you have one more search to see if there is any possible way to get the 60A. If you can't, I would advise you think hard about what you really use the neck position for the most. If you actually use it for shred a bit more than anything else, go for the 60. If shred is more of a secondary style for you then go for the 85X. If you think you really do use normal soloing styles and shred styles on the neck equally then I would suggest you go for the 60 and you'll maybe just have to get used to using the guitar's tone knob a little more than usual.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MrFlibble, i thank you so much :'D
you've been VERY helpful
i think i'll go for the 81/60
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)