Hey guys,

So I am going to get a Weber Mini Mass to control my distortion on my Tweaker and use it as a headphone tap. The thing is, due to my small room, I am downsizing and playing the Tweaker through an old Blackstar 1x10 cab. I have a little room on the cab if I move the head so it lingers off, and I could place the attenuator there. However, if I decided to place it on top of the amp head, what kind of problems would that pose?

I realize the Tweaker vents out the top, and I wouldn't be covereing more than a quarter of the vent. However, I know attenuators also shouldn't get hot? Is it okay to just put it on the floor (on carpet?) or try to place it on the speaker cab and let the head dangle off the edge a bit?

Thanks!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Both of those things are designed to dissipate quite a lot of heat. Unless it's very hot in your room in the first place, you shouldn't have any problems just putting the attenuator on top of the amp. A fan in the room wouldn't hurt if you're really worried. You could also take the back panel off the head to improve airflow.
Depending on how much you attenuate, it could get hot. The rubber feet will keep it from burning anything though. Most people put their attenuators on top of their head.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It shouldn't be hot, theres central air in the townhouse. I may be able to fit a fan there... I should say I am putting this in a closet, so there won't be a whole lot of air flow...

I do not plan on attenuating much. I can probably comfortably play with my MV at 9oclock, but it sounds more full at least after that, so I don't know how this works out but I only need to attenuate 1/8-1/4 of the volume... is that asking too much?
It's never going to be really hot unless you use it as a load box with the amp turned up a fair bit. It will be warm to the touch at low attenuation settings and will increase in heat as you use more attenuation. But as for sounding more full, the speaker interaction likely plays a much larger part in that than cooking the power tubes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

True but my argument if you call it that is the Blackstar ht5 sounded more full at a lower volume than the tweaker is on now. Wouldn't that in turn signify it may not be all the speaker?
You can't really compare it like that as the Blackstar is voiced for very low volume playing. The Tweaker isn't.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

How so? Solid state components in there?
It was just designed to work better at low volumes. And yes, it has quite a few solid state components.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Depending on how much you attenuate, it could get hot. The rubber feet will keep it from burning anything though. Most people put their attenuators on top of their head.

The Mass and MiniMass don't put out any heat. They use a speaker coil with no cone.

I put rubber gaskets on all the mounting bolts to cut down on vibration when the Master is on 10.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I won't be turning it that loud for sure. Thanks fellas.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The Mass and MiniMass don't put out any heat. They use a speaker coil with no cone.

I put rubber gaskets on all the mounting bolts to cut down on vibration when the Master is on 10.

Forgot about that. This applies for any resistive load attenuators TS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by bubb_tubbs

yeah mine doesn't heat up at all, it's magic!