Hey, I'm pretty much stuck in my guitar playing. I've read a few other posts with similar problems but we don't seem to be suffering from the same things. I play (or try to play) electric blues, usually lead. I'm able to incorporate slides, bends,vibratos etc. into my playing but it all sounds like a bad solo. I'm pretty much dedicated to jamming and improv rather than playing entire songs (but if you guys think thats my problem i'm down for changing it up). My favorite players are Clapton and SRV, and I while i know i'm years from playing anywhere near as well as they can, I'd like to know how to make the talent gap a little smaller.

Basically I want to know what i need to practice to improve at lead-blues improv, soloing and jamming. I know the scales and I know the techniques I guess I just can't place them all together very well.

Thank You very much to anyone that can help.
You need to figure out your own favorite bluesy licks and just practice practice practice until you can play them fast and smooth. Then you can change them up, piece them together, use them in different keys etc.
It sounds like you're on the right track just keep it up. Though I would recommend learning Texas Flood and Crossroads. Those songs really improved my electric blues soloing. Good luck!
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Hey thanks alot. Texas Flood and Crossroads are two of my favorite songs. I will definitely do my best to learn them.
play play play, jam jam jam. In my experience that's the best way to get better and get out of a rut. Especially the jamming with other people part. Another thing is branch out a little. I play similar music that you do (even though i'm really a metal head at heart) But when i get stuck in a rut I always try to branch out and learn different styles of music that are in a round about way similar to blues. Try learning some country style guitar ala Albert Lee, or go acoustic and learn all that shit. One other thing that can be fun and keeps you musically active is learn another instrument. A couple times in my life when I got bored with guitar I picked up drums and bass, and recently I have a new found love for playing harmonica. But those are my suggestions, and they don't really apply to getting better at playing blues but will help you if you are stuck in your playing.
I know how u feel. Try going on youtube and type in Blues backing tracks for guitar, there are various keys. Pick the right key to play in then use a box ( a group of notes in the scale u are using). Then just play about with phrases, you will find something good.

One song that helped me was the riff out of "Had to cry today" by Eric Clapton.
First of all, blues credo: you don't have to be sad to play the blues, but it helps.

You're being a little vague. What do you mean by "sounds like a bad solo"? I may need an audio example.

If you want to, play a few blues songs on whatever device you usually use and improvise to that. Steal your favorite players' licks-- this is the first step to creating memorable licks of your own.

Start slow. It is equally if not more important in electric blues to incorporate slow and dare I say it sexy licks as it is to use fiery and fast licks. This requires looking like you're struggling something fierce to play the guitar.

Hope this helps!
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
Quote by jeffbecklad
First of all, blues credo: you don't have to be sad to play the blues, but it helps.

You're being a little vague. What do you mean by "sounds like a bad solo"? I may need an audio example.

If you want to, play a few blues songs on whatever device you usually use and improvise to that. Steal your favorite players' licks-- this is the first step to creating memorable licks of your own.

Start slow. It is equally if not more important in electric blues to incorporate slow and dare I say it sexy licks as it is to use fiery and fast licks. This requires looking like you're struggling something fierce to play the guitar.

Hope this helps!

By bad solo, I guess I mean it sounds like i'm running up and down a pentatonic or blues scale over and over with a few bends thrown in. Part of it may be my amp (Fender Frontman 10G so like a $50 amp), but I will be sure to look up a few licks from my favs. Thanks alot dude.
"Since I've Been Loving You" by Zeppelin another good one to learn for more relative minor-y sounding blues licks, also one of my favorites to play. It'll take you a long time to master Page's nuances with the dynamics and vibrato but your playing will become much more expressive.

Also, for your soloing - in addition to learning a vocabulary of licks, I think you may want to learn the neck a bit better. It sounds like you're having trouble finding target notes. Go improvise when you read this. Improvise using say, an A minor pentatonic scale and try to start and end your phrases on the root note, A. See if this helps out a bit. Other target notes would include the notes of the chords underneath what you are playing.
Watch SRV at the el macumbo and just start learning licks...
Remember to have fun and just explore...I started out with a passion for srv and hendrix and it was the best launching pad I could have gave myself to get where I'm at now
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think