I have a lightly modded 5150 combo and am considering putting a NOS Mullard 12AX7 in V1. I know this is arguably one of the best preamp tubes out there, and I'm sure it will sound better than the current production tubes I have in there now, but I would like to hear from some who have put one (or more) in their 5150/6505, 6505+, or similar high gain amp. I am looking at the regular ECC83 rather than the CV4004 since it costs a little less and is supposed to have a little more gain suited for modern applications.

I play mostly hard rock and metal and have found that for new production tubes, the 9th gen. Chinese 12AX7's sound best in this amp to my ears since they are slightly rolled off in the treble, or appear to be since they sound smoother and more balanced than a lot of others.
Part of the problem IMO with nos tubes is that they aren't made any more, google eurotubes, not trying to sway you, but nos tubes are expensive and personally since the number of them on the market is dwindling it gets to be hard to find them
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
^ If you buy NOS preamp tubes you'll probably go 10 years at least before you have to replace one. Availability isn't really that much of an issue.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Metalmaker
Part of the problem IMO with nos tubes is that they aren't made any more, google eurotubes, not trying to sway you, but nos tubes are expensive and personally since the number of them on the market is dwindling it gets to be hard to find them

Yeah I know, and they are expensive, but the new one's just don't sound as good, and a good NOS Mullard should last several years. I have come across several NOS tubes, even bought a few over the last 3 - 4 years. I have checked out Eurotubes and tried different variations of their JJ tubes in the power and preamp section of this amp and my previous amp. Not bad tubes, I even have one of their high gain 12AX7's in my amp now.
a good nos will beat a mullard anyday. v1 can be slightly micro. v2 you should spend the most money on to make sure it's not micro. the p.i. can be micro.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
a good nos will beat a mullard anyday. v1 can be slightly micro. v2 you should spend the most money on to make sure it's not micro. the p.i. can be micro.

I am talking about a NOS Mullard, not the new "re-issue". I'm sure most NOS tubes sound better than any new production tubes, and the Mullards from the 60's are supposed to be some of the best 12AX7's ever made. The short plate tubes shouldn't have a problem with microphonics in any position of my amp. I have a long plate Sovtek LPS in my PI, and never a problem with micro there either.
Last edited by ChadT at Jul 23, 2010,
ya if u get them tested for for guaranteed nos. But i'm saying that there's really no reason to pay for the best best stuff for all your positions.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer