So I have a buddy of mine that is in an underground hip hop group called Leaders of the Lost. He asked me to write some riffs for him but I have never really recorded anything. I've been playing for about 4 years and was just wondering if anyone might have some good tips, ideas or any sort of help. The group sounds is like a horror/dark hip hop. They're looking for chug/ thrash riffs. Also if you know of any good thrash or metal riffs / songs by any band that might work, let me know. Any help or ideas would be great and if you need any more info let me know. Thanks.
Quote by Nelsean
I just gave myself a hard on by just looking in the mirror and im not even gay.

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Shes smashed alone in a bed, and you're on the computer.

man fail

I refuse to learn Stairway to Heaven.
1: Listen to any generic *core band
2: Copy their breakdowns
3: ???
4: PROFIT!

No really, that's what they all do, all breakdowns sound the same and are ZOMG Br00TLZZZ CHUG. No need to thank me, just pay it forward.
For riff ideas and stuff, check some songs by Hollywood undead, gorillaz, or various other bands that use loops and don't really fit into any categories. You can draw ideas from anywhere. Listen to some old music, if you find a guitar part you like, abbreviate it, make it so that it sounds good when looped, and then throw in some metal distortion or chugs or something to make it sound x-core. Riffs for hip-hop type stuff doesn't have to be complex or hard. Just catchy and, in your case, bad-ass or violent sounding. You basically just have to sample other music and adapt it slightly.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
in my experience playing with MCs, since the lyrics are the focal point keep the guitars simple, and yes it's going to be repetitive. reggae riffs always work.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I've been jamming along with some of their old stuff and it just usually comes to be a heavy simple chug riff with small variations, obviously repetitive and kind of boring but it still sounds pretty good. I just want to have more of a Tom Morello type sound.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by DieGarbageMan

man fail

http://www.myspace.com/jeneticshiphop here's kind of what they sound like.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by DieGarbageMan

man fail