Me and my cousin are writing a hardcore song and I need some help writing the breakdown for bass. if you can help me that would be great
Breakdowns are pretty basic. The only thing that really separates them from other breakdowns is the pattern. You can follow the guitars, follow the drums, or do melodic runs between the busy parts. That's about all there is to it.
So you need help WRITING breakdowns? I mean...you can come up with any breakdown and most likely it won't be anything special unless you have it to the beat of like...the Super Mario theme song. Other than that, with the number of -Core bands out there, writing an original breakdown is hard.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Have drums play in 4/4, guitar and bass play some sort of pattern in some odd 8 meter. Thats how I write most of my breakdowns.
One of the coolest breakdowns my old band did was 2 measures of 5/8 and then a measure of 6/8, equaling 16 eighth, or 2 measures of 4/4.

Stuff like that.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
Have drums play in 4/4, guitar and bass play some sort of pattern in some odd 8 meter. Thats how I write most of my breakdowns.
One of the coolest breakdowns my old band did was 2 measures of 5/8 and then a measure of 6/8, equaling 16 eighth, or 2 measures of 4/4.

Stuff like that.

That sounds really confusing. I just mess around in guitar pro and see what sounds good.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
breakdowns ain't hardcore.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
How long is it? And do the guitarists/drummer play anything that you could use? I find playing what the guitar plays in reverse sounds cool. For example, if the guitarist does a scale run, you play it from the note he plays last to the note he plays first, at the same time as he plays his part, if you get what I mean.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Go listen to my band.

www.myspace.com/giveupnothing

We have some pretty sweet breakdowns.
I just follow the guitar and do all the open notes. I'm usually doing it with the Bass drum, while the guitar does cool over tone stuff.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by 6stringbassist
Go listen to my band.

I just follow the guitar and do all the open notes. I'm usually doing it with the Bass drum, while the guitar does cool over tone stuff.

You should totally get me an autograph from For Today's vocalist. Just saying
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
That sounds really confusing. I just mess around in guitar pro and see what sounds good.

It's really not. There's 8 8th notes in a measure, just write out a pattern that equals to 8, 16, 24, 32, ect. 8th notes and use it. And then split it up in a logical way that you can count it and not get lost.
You can easily do that in guitar pro too. Just fill a whole bunch of measures with 8th notes and then just add rests as you go along. mindless really. 3 notes and a rest, 2 notes and a rest, 3 notes and a rest, 5 notes and 2 rests, on and on.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by 6stringbassist
Go listen to my band.

your band ain't got no songs.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by drugfreeboy
breakdowns ain't hardcore.

Reign of Terror....
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
Reign of Terror....

i stand by my statement. don't know who they are but they probably are second rate metal band that uses the name hardcore to seem more appealing.
Listen to bands who have good breakdowns.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright