I have an old Tele deluxe and I was wondering if it would be safe to take the pickup covers off... I hate the look of chrome on black want the covers off. Would if affect it in any negative way?
Shouldn't do. Some tone addicts say the covers make the pickups sound slightly worse anyway, so it should be a win-win for tone and looks.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
I like the look of chrome on black.. (personal preferences)
It might have tonal differences but nothing serious,go for it if you want.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I love the Telecaster to death and I take the pickup covers off of every one I get. I have 3! Haha. One with P-90s
I wouldn't recommend it seeing as the WRHB pickups in those reissue tele deluxes are just regular humbuckers surrounded by a shitload of wax to make the cover fit. You'd probably need a new pickguard to make it not look like arse.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
If your Tele Deluxe is "old" as in 1972 thru 1979, I would NOT take the covers off. The bobbins inside have metal tabs where the wires are soldered to, and they're very exposed. You will likely break them off when you play.

I have seen people remove the covers and have them painted or powder coated black. Powder coating is more durable than paint.

You could do it.
Quote by Telenator
If your Tele Deluxe is "old" as in 1972 thru 1979, I would NOT take the covers off. The bobbins inside have metal tabs where the wires are soldered to, and they're very exposed. You will likely break them off when you play.

I have seen people remove the covers and have them painted or powder coated black. Powder coating is more durable than paint.

You could do it.

He's probably made his decision by now seeing as this thread's two years old. Please look at dates on threads before bumping them