Page 1 of 2
Well, I've gotten a whole bunch of stuff over the summer, and this thread serves to give you guys a picture-laden account of it all. Actually, guitars is the main concern of this thread, but there's plenty of other content to justify a NxD, and as mmolteratx said, the people in EG don't deserve our pr0n. First off:

Yup, a new Strat. Nothing special, just good ol' MIM, but I got a great deal on it. With a setup, this could be a great guitar for... well... Strat tones. In terms of a review, this thing needs to be adjusted, but that's not fender's fault. It sounds great in the neck position with clean tones, and the bridge humbucker is actually very smooth. I love running this guitar into the Eggy with the volume wide open on the clean channel, a very satisfying crunch. Oh, and it's blue.

Next up are some odds and ends I got:

Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
...More like pedals than odds and ends I suppose. So I bought the BBE to go along with my Memory Boy. It's more versatile and tweakable, and sounds more processed, which isn't a bad thing if you have a nice, warm, analog-ish delay on your board as well. I love the ability to switch between two delay times, and this pedal was the clear cut choice from the beginning.

The MXR Super Comp is a nice compressor that really makes you sound more professional and sustain-y. It doesn't suck tone, but it's a bit noisy. Overall, a good pedal, and I got it for cheap, so I'm not complaining. Not much else to review here, moving on...

I really like the Hardwire pedals. That's why I bought two . I wanted a tubescreamer-style pedal, which this really isn't, but I prefer it for boosting an amp into smooth, singing lead territory, as well as high gain rhythm tones. The two EQ knobs serve me very well, and I'm glad to have the added tweakability that I feel is lacking in the TS series. The Hardwire Chorus is awesome. I played a few at my local shop, and this one was absolutely the best. I had no problem picking it up for its versatility, sound quality, and overall cornucopia of tonal options in terms of chorus. I really like the Analog mode, but Boutique sounds great as well. And really, all of the modes are usable, which I like. The stereo chorusing sounds great as far as the clips I've heard, but I have yet to try it. And boy does this thing sound great with distortion. In fact, the first thing I played on this pedal was Paul Gilbert's "Hurry Up," because I had been waiting so long for such a fitting pedal.

Next up is more GG&A stuff, and then one very special surprise for everyone on these boards. But mostly for me, because I get to use it

So I really like the way my Ibanez plays. It’s an absolutely excellent guitar, the trem is nice, and the action is really low without buzzing. The pickups are a different story, though. That’s why I bought these:

…A Dimarzio PAF Joe for the neck, and a Dimarzio AT-1 for the bridge. Haven’t installed them yet, since I have a Dimarzio True Velvet coming in for the single coil spot, but I may post pics or something to update when I do.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Finally, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, but didn’t know you were waiting for. I got another guitar. This one is a reward from my parents I guess, they bought it because of grades and test scores and stuff. Bragbragbragbragbrag. I won’t get into that. You want to see pics, don’t you? :

Oooh an Oriental rug. What could it be?

Does that shed any light on the mystery?

How about that?

A PRS McCarty Smokeburst. This guitar is the most comfortable thing I’ve ever played. It’s not quite as fast as my Ibanez, but I can barely tell the difference, since I’m not that fast of a player anyways . The finish is stunning. You can see that. It also seems like the most well built thing ever to be made out of wood. It sustains like a single block, and rings like a freaking bell. The electronics are perfect, the taper of the pots works great for everything from rolling back and volume swells to managing your voicing and coil tapping via the tone knob. It stays in tune very well, and the tuners have a great ratio that turns smoothly, but not too abruptly or jerkily. Best of all are the pickups. They can’t sound bad. My pedals actually sound wayyy better just because of this guitar, and I find myself using less gain because I don’t need it for sustain or to cut through. I have more clarity, more punch, and many more tonal options. The coil tap sounds great; I wouldn’t call it an instant Stratocaster, but it’s a mahogany guitar anyways, so it gets close for what it is. It sounds great nonetheless, very articulate and shimmery on a clean setting, and raunchy as hell when you turn the gain up. Think Dave Gilmour’s tone on steroids. Overall, this guitar is the complete package for everyone who doesn’t play the Br00+aLzzzzzz, and I couldn’t be happier.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Did you say moar pics?

Der u go. And I realize none of my pedals are connected to anything. Thanks for noticing.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I was about to ask if you're homeless due to splashing out on guitars and shiz but then I saw a pool -_- i r jealous

HELLO!

wow. B-E-Autiful

HNST!
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
urrrrrr spoileeeeeeeeed.
congrats man.
that's a nice looking mccarty!
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by JamesLPs
I was about to ask if you're homeless due to splashing out on guitars and shiz but then I saw a pool -_- i r jealous

I live in Florida. Most people have pools here haha.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
........... You know what I got for getting a 100 in 3 AP classes, a 2150 on the sat and a 4 and 5 on two AP exams?

"good job son"

Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by AcousticMirror
urrrrrr spoileeeeeeeeed.
congrats man.
that's a nice looking mccarty!

Yeah, well it took a near perfect SAT score to satiate my parents. Looks like I've got the Asian parents you never had. Sorry if you're pissed now cuz your parents beat you for Bs.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
I live in Florida. Most people have pools here haha.

u need a amp soon.

Quote by Metalmaker
........... You know what I got for getting a 100 in 3 AP classes, a 2150 on the sat and a 4 and 5 on two AP exams?

"good job son"

I feel your pain, 1950 on the SAT and a 5 on an AP test and I got the same reaction. I'm not a whiney bitch though...sooooooo, there is the difference between us.

Just messin with you.

HNGD!
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

HNSD!! You lucky Bastid, they expect me to do good in school cause Im suppose to haha
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by ibz_bucket
Yeah, well it took a near perfect SAT score to satiate my parents. Looks like I've got the Asian parents you never had. Sorry if you're pissed now cuz your parents beat you for Bs.

dood my parents beat me for a's. I as like wtf wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Ehhhh......

Bear perfect? If it's over 2300 I'll give you props, but, at least where I live all that would get me is like, lol, maybe a new set of pickups
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Metalmaker
Ehhhh......

Bear perfect? If it's over 2300 I'll give you props, but, at least where I live all that would get me is like, lol, maybe a new set of pickups

2390, actually. And 5 on AP Physics/US History/English Lit. Oh, and a 4 on Calc AB.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
man I got a 1520 on my sats. My parents were like I guess that's good enough. but i was like noooooooooooooooooooooooo. Then I beat myself. My parents were like we've taught you so well. Then they hugged me. That was the only time.

Okay, not gonna lie ts, pretty beasty, but I don't know of anyone who would get a prs from it, maybe 1200 to maybe 2000 us dollar guitar MAYBE but not a 3200 one, but congrats
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by Metalmaker
Okay, not gonna lie ts, pretty beasty, but I don't know of anyone who would get a prs from it, maybe 1200 to maybe 2000 us dollar guitar MAYBE but not a 3200 one, but congrats

Thanks, but I really don't want to turn this into a "brag about your standardized testing abilities" thread. That's a nightmare.

Quote by mmolteratx
Nice Priss. Me likey McCartys.

Thanks man
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I haven't played a mccarty yet. I don't care to much for custom22/24s. wanna try a mccarty.

McCartys are way better than the 22s/24s. I've never played a 24 I like and the rotary pickup selector is the most impractical thing ever for live use.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
McCartys are way better than the 22s/24s. I've never played a 24 I like and the rotary pickup selector is the most impractical thing ever for live use.

This was the main deciding factor for me. I couldn't believe anyone would actually put that thing on a guitar.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I kinda liked it in theory. I was gonna put one on my spruce but it wouldn't fit.

if that McCarty had a rosewood neck it would be perrrrrrfect. beautiful guitar still though, i have the jealousy..
Quote by rgoring
if that McCarty had a rosewood neck it would be perrrrrrfect. beautiful guitar still though, i have the jealousy..

Rosewood neck? Never heard of that being done very often. Thanks though.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by AcousticMirror
I kinda liked it in theory. I was gonna put one on my spruce but it wouldn't fit.

It is kind of cool when you're just messing around with it at the store but I've gigged with a 24 and hated it more than anything ever. It was almost as bad as the time I had to gig with a Line 6 Uber Metal into a Fender Deluxe.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by ibz_bucket
Rosewood neck? Never heard of that being done very often. Thanks though.

they arent done very often, i've only ever seen 2 rosewood neck McCarty's in my time, but they were the nicest looking and best playing guitars i have ever had my hands on. i love all McCarty's tho.
Last edited by rgoring at Jul 23, 2010,
i think greg has a rosewood on his mccarty

Happy new stuff day! Wow. That is quite the new gear overhaul. First of all, the blue fat Strat is a beauty. Nice pedals (I'm kind of curious about that chorus myself). And the PRS is also a beauty, but I personally prefer the Strat.

And I get a pretty nice reward for good grades, but not that nice. I get 20 bucks for every A on my report card. Not bad. I usually save it until I go to Chicago (I go a few times a year) and spend it there. I really don't get new gear until X-mas or my birthday. And not too many people take the SAT in the midwest. We all take the ACT.
Quote by patbuck2
Happy new stuff day! Wow. That is quite the new gear overhaul. First of all, the blue fat Strat is a beauty. Nice pedals (I'm kind of curious about that chorus myself). And the PRS is also a beauty, but I personally prefer the Strat.

And I get a pretty nice reward for good grades, but not that nice. I get 20 bucks for every A on my report card. Not bad. I usually save it until I go to Chicago (I go a few times a year) and spend it there. I really don't get new gear until X-mas or my birthday. And not too many people take the SAT in the midwest. We all take the ACT.

That's what I've heard from a lot of people, about the ACT, that is. Never taken it though, but I did hear that it's somewhat easier. Thing is, I never got rewarded for anything on my report card. This is really the first grade-based reward that I've gotten, and probably the last. They're also not paying for college, so I have to get a scholarship.

Anyways, the Strat was purchased mostly because it was a good deal. I might flip it, but right now I'm trying to see if it is worth keeping in terms of playability. This PRS is getting all my attention though .
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
That's what I've heard from a lot of people, about the ACT, that is. Never taken it though, but I did hear that it's somewhat easier. Thing is, I never got rewarded for anything on my report card. This is really the first grade-based reward that I've gotten, and probably the last. They're also not paying for college, so I have to get a scholarship.

Anyways, the Strat was purchased mostly because it was a good deal. I might flip it, but right now I'm trying to see if it is worth keeping in terms of playability. This PRS is getting all my attention though .

Yeah, I have to either get any scholarship money I can get or take out those ridiculous college loans. I'm pretty sure I might be able to get some scholarship money, but I will probably be taking out loans and paying them until I am having my midlife crisis. I base this on the fact that my 30-year-old sister is still paying back her loans with no end in sight.

And the ACT really isn't that hard, they just don't give you enough time. At least, I read quite slowly, and so the last 5-10 questions of every section were all just "C" for me because I would run out of time and just fill in whatever was left with C.

Anyways, I can't say too much about PRS guitars because I've never even played one very extensively. I've seen one before and I briefly touched it, but that's it. I just love the feeling of how comfortable a Strat is to me.
The ACT is incredibly easy. The SAT is a bit harder but not much. No studying got me a 2010. I've gotta take another in October though to break 2200.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by AcousticMirror
u need a amp soon.

And better pedals.

Great rig so far though.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i think greg has a rosewood on his mccarty

No my neck is mahogany with a rosewood board.

McCarty's have a thicker mahogany body than 22s and 24s, and an increased neck angle. They don't suffer from the PRS "floppy neck" syndrome. and usually cost less than 22s and 24s.

Great stuff itz! Congrats on new gear.
Quote by patbuck2
Yeah, I have to either get any scholarship money I can get or take out those ridiculous college loans. I'm pretty sure I might be able to get some scholarship money, but I will probably be taking out loans and paying them until I am having my midlife crisis. I base this on the fact that my 30-year-old sister is still paying back her loans with no end in sight.

That's the thing, I'm not sure student loans are worth it for undergrad if you go to grad school, which I plan to do. So I really would like to get a full scholarship to somewhere good and get it over with. My brother is 30 as well, and he's deep in debt from medical school, residency, etc. And he's still doing his fellowship, so he's not even making the insane doctor money yet.

Quote by AcousticMirror
u need a amp soon.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
And better pedals.

Great rig so far though.

I'm working on it, I'm working on it. There was a 5150 on my CL for $300 today, needed new speakers and tubes. Not a problem for me, as I'd retube and put in some K100's anyways, but the parents said noooo.

Quote by mmolteratx
The ACT is incredibly easy. The SAT is a bit harder but not much. No studying got me a 2010. I've gotta take another in October though to break 2200.

That's really pretty good in the grand scheme of things. Judging by how knowledgeable your posts are on here, I'm sure it won't be too much trouble for you to get a really good score. I just hate how with the college app process here in the USA at least, you become largely a number and a skin color. It's a shame. But good luck man!

Quote by gregs1020
Great stuff itz! Congrats on new gear.

Thanks. Glad to hear some approval from the resident PRS guru. My ears were approval enough to buy the thing though,
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
what year is the mccarty? also, how do you like the xotic bb? riffhog loves his, i almost grabbed one a while back but went with an eternity burst because i friggin' love those things.

i like the mccarty bridge pup, it's very vintage paf sounding to me. the neck pup i like but a lot of others don't. (i do think people should really give it a fair chance, with the right setting it's great). i don't have the stock pups in mine, it came with underwound nailbombs that are nice and dark. i will put them back in for a run at some point.

grats again on all that new gear. it has been a good summer.
Quote by ibz_bucket

That's really pretty good in the grand scheme of things. Judging by how knowledgeable your posts are on here, I'm sure it won't be too much trouble for you to get a really good score. I just hate how with the college app process here in the USA at least, you become largely a number and a skin color. It's a shame. But good luck man!

I'm Latino though so the skin color thing works in my favor. I barely missed out on the National Merit scholarship last year but since I'm Latino, I got the one specifically for us for $3000. Kind of ridiculous since my friend beat me by 2 points and didn't get anything but hey, I'm not complaining. 2390 is insane though. One of my Asian friends got that on the first one he took because he got lucky on the essay. Pretty much any other topic and he wouldn't have done that good.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Page 1 of 2