Page 1 of 2
If you had to play with a guitarist how would you prefer that they play guitar.
To clarify - some guitarists can read music very well, know their theory, root notes, know all of their shapes etc.
Another sort of guitarist I have been exposed to is the one that does it all by ear, prefers to improvise etc. Maybe this person has a good ear, and this allows them to play with ease.
So - If you had to classify your favorite type of guitar player, how would they play?
Hate Me.
One that stays quiet, I'm the star dammnit.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
someone that only shreds and sweep picks and uses no emotion when they solo
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Quote by Erik_Aero
Someone that only knows power chords and the pentatonic scale.

That.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
Someone like Steve Vai, that plays pretty damn amazing songs with so much feeling and emotions into every note they play and show there compassion towards music.
Someone like Alex Lifeson for me- knows theory, can improv and knows some of the weirdest chords known to man, can solo and knows when to stop noodling and slow down.
The kind that really can do things others can't. Long bluesy sustains, quick, refined runs, great melody.

Oh, and this thredad might start some arguements. But whatev.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Someone like Alex Lifeson for me- knows theory, can improv and knows some of the weirdest chords known to man, can solo and knows when to stop noodling and slow down.

+1

Him and, on a less technical level, the Edge make excellent music.
Someone creative and someone I get along with.

Thats it, I don't really care if they can sweep pick/play at 200000bpm/know all the scales etc...
I'll take fun riffs over technical solos pretty much all of the time, so people like Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by mattman93
I'll take fun riffs over technical solos pretty much all of the time, so people like Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy.

Matt Bellamy is yum xD
Someone who isn't so much better than me that I just give up and play triangle.

So, basically Stephen Hawking.
I like epic kinds of riffs. It doesn't have to be hugely technical or anything, I just like it to sound epic. Songs like Welcome Home, Nymphetamine, Viking Kong, Holy Diver.
Somebody who knows when not to play. Or more accurate than that, just play when the song needs it.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
O_o

Weird person...

You say that kind of stuff about Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson...
Quote by 6BassRocker66
Synyster gates! hes the best just to let you know Dont disagree, cause he is.

No....just no.....
Quote by zakarai
Matt Bellamy is yum xD

This isn't cool. You've just done Matt a huge disservice. Although I'm sure you'd like to service him.

While I do enjoy technically proficient guitarists, I prefer those who play with an emphasis on feeling. This includes players like John Frusciante, David Gilmore, Carlos Santana, etc.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Can write melodies, riffs and songs in the genres of blues to funk to metal to jazz to classical baroque shit and beyond and between. Doesn't sound like anyone else. Doesn't need a wah pedal or a talkbox to make his guitar sound vocal, but isn't afraid to resort to them if really needed. Composes only great solos. Has some sort of stage charisma. Creative use of gear.

... in short, Brian May.
Someone who knows alot of theory, but doesnt consciously think about it when writing/playing. Travis Stever is a good example.
...In my opinion.
I always liked guitarists that can take four notes and make a brilliant solo out of it, just through their playing style and ability to improvise an amazing melody. I find fast solos a bit awkward to listen to.
Quote by Minkaro
Someone who can do whatever you want him to do, be it shredding or emotional stuff. Metal, acoustic, jazz, blues.

Basically Buckethead.

Or Ron Thal
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
This isn't cool. You've just done Matt a huge disservice. Although I'm sure you'd like to service him.

Thank you. With this post, this thread is officially weird.
Tremonti. Neal Schon
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
I always find interesting riffs better than amazing technical wankery. For instance, I find Pins and Needles by Billy Talent immensely more enjoyable and in a way more skilled than anything any of the virtuoso players do. It's an original and fun riff, and it seems more imaginative and talented than going,
"Hey... Hey guys... Guys... Get this... Guys... I put a note... Hey guys... I put a note from the Dorian scale... Guys... Dorian... I put a note from the Dorian scale... In a Mixolodyian-based riff! Kuh-razy!"

That is the creative process that goes into 9999BPM shreddery in my head.
...In my opinion.
my favorite guitarist has everything, from great knowledge of theory to a love of experimentation. like right in between omar rodriguez (who's amazing and experimental but doesn't know crap abt theory) and steve vai (who's also amazing and knows everything about theory and is an amazng sigt reader). yea, why not have everything? do i have to choose 1 or the other?
signature guitarists.
people that, even though they are proficient in theory, are more for emotion and creativity, and someone who can come up with things that not many others can do.
someone like frusciante, munky or head, Daron malakian, Dimebag Darrell, Tom Morello, Matt Bellamy and so long.
Tom Morello, for example, using a pencil and a delay effect to create a sound..genius, i love that spark.
i find, for me, that talent lies in creativity.
I like guitarists that can shred the **** out of their guitars, but don't do it all over the place. Buck Dharma, whom i firmly believe is the world's greatest guitarist, plays with ridiculous amounts of feeling and emotion and what not, but also can wank with the best guitarjackoffers. his solos always fit perfectly with each song. He also can improvise fantastically well and write music that gives me an erection. A good guitarist also branches out, and doesn't just play one genre or style. that's what i focused on with my playing. being able to competently play any style or genre, as opposed to being really good at one style.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Jul 23, 2010,
The kind that can manipulate sound waves in such a way that it is pleasing to my ear-hole.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Last edited by FlyinHigh26 at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by mattman93

The ironic thing is that both those guys can shred their asses off if they felt like it.
This is my 2000th post, do I have a life?

Anyway, I like guitarists that are great songwriters, and shredders.

Example: Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Buckethead, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen

These guys can shred beautifully, but still write great songs. Guys like Yngwie and Michael Angelo Batio can shred very well, but their songwriting is only decent.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Jul 23, 2010,
Someone better than me. I always improve fastest when I play with somebody miles ahead of me.
While driving yesterday, I saw a banana peel on the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart.
Page 1 of 2