Update:

I found out that the original owner modded the power plug. The head is rated 50 watts with 220 - 240 volts. I have a power cord that says ~250 volts. Is it okay to plug this in the head and into my outlet?

I have acquired a Cornford MK50 head, but it's a UK model that goes by 220V. What do I buy so that I can use it here in the US?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but I looked this up online and I couldn't find on anything that dealt with the importance of watt and volt ratings... I could only find "converters" or "adapters", but how do I know which one is the right one?
Last edited by jnukes2 at Jul 23, 2010,
you will probably need to have the transformer changed, if there's not a switch to change the voltage
There's probably a tap on the PT primary for 120V operation. Take it to a tech and they should be able to wire it up no problem.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You can buy step down transformers, not sure if they are "outboard" or not.

It might still be able to work without blowing up. What's dangerous is if you're doing the opposite (running an American amp in the UK for example). I wouldn't risk it unless you were sure though.
Bump for an update.

I called some techs and we couldn't find any schematics online. They'd have to see it in person but the nearest one is about two hours away from me. One tech mentioned that a 500 watt step up transformer with British plug ins would be a quick fix.
Yea, you could use a large power step up transformer but in the long run it would be less hassle to just get the simple fix done if you're moving it around fairly frequently.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
and you might find that a step up transformer will add noise to the amp.

and really something like a Cornford amp would be the type of boutique amp that would have a multi tap transformer in it.

have you tried emailing cornford about it?
Alright. Got all my questions answered. I emailed them and got a reply. It has an international transformer.
Quote by Tedward
You can buy step down transformers, not sure if they are "outboard" or not.

It might still be able to work without blowing up. What's dangerous is if you're doing the opposite (running an American amp in the UK for example). I wouldn't risk it unless you were sure though.

i was stupid enough to plug in an apple mac G3 with the voltage set to the american voltage... BOOM, lots of smoke
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp