Whatever feels right. I mean, I'd obviously not advise using thins, but I usually used medium fender celluloid picks, and those did well for me. After awhile, I started using Jazz IIIs (if you haven't seen them, they're about the size of a dime), which I quite liked. However, once you start using them, it's pretty difficult to go back to normal picks.
I would go to the store and get 5-10 bucks worth of picks. All different sizes, shapes, and thicknesses. (Is that a word?)

You should go home with crap load of them, chance are you'll like some of them.
Quote by Captain Insano
I would go to the store and get 5-10 bucks worth of picks. All different sizes, shapes, and thicknesses. (Is that a word?)

You should go home with crap load of them, chance are you'll like some of them.

That'll get you like...2 packs. xD
I use the red tortex picks. I like them really thin so they bend easily and you can get like...32nd notes super easily.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by CurlyFry
I use thick, i recommend you do the same.

All personal preference.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
I use 0.81mm because they are thin but not so thin that they will snap or anything like that. I use them for playing guitar as well. For me, they are the perfect size.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
your fingers.
but if you really want to use picks, i used to use medium dunlop tortex before i switched to fingers.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
your fingers.
but if you really want to use picks, i used to use medium dunlop tortex before i switched to fingers.

-facepalm-
Are you one of those "real bassists don't use picks" kinda guys?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
use your finger
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Quote by SMbassist
The blue tortex picks. I think they're the .88's

Thinnest to Thickest:
Red - .50
Orange - .60
Yellow - .73
Green - .88
Blue - 1.0
Purple - 1.14
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
-facepalm-
Are you one of those "real bassists don't use picks" kinda guys?

Nope. I used to use picks myself.
I just find finger sound nicer, and it's easier to swith to tapping and slap without a pick.
also, it was really annoying when i went to band practice without a pick.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by herby190
Whatever feels right. I mean, I'd obviously not advise using thins, but I usually used medium fender celluloid picks, and those did well for me. After awhile, I started using Jazz IIIs (if you haven't seen them, they're about the size of a dime), which I quite liked. However, once you start using them, it's pretty difficult to go back to normal picks.

I love Jazz IIIs. But before that I liked the small Fender Heavies and the 2.0mm purple Dunlops, so it kinda makes sense that I like the Jazz IIIs.
I pride myself on my humility.
I agree with an above user, go and buy 1 or 2 of as many pics as you can find. I would try and keep everything above .8 though as that seems to flimsy for bass. also those really thin bendy ones for 32 otes like someone above was saying are pointless IMO you can go faster with med or thick pics if your technique is up to snuff.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I would advise you to learn to play with your fingers ASWELL as a pick, trust me in comes in useful. I use Jim Dunlop 2.0mm picks for playing bass, as i like a very solid pick. Try using different gauge picks and see which one you like the most, but try and find people ith these picks and try them, no need to waste your money if you don't have to.
The large triangle shaped picks. I have a clayton .80 which feels perfect but I think dunlop makes them also.
When I do play with a pick, there is no better pick than the heavy Tortex gripped ones. They are seriously the most comfortable to play with I've ever seen.
My Instruments:
MusicMan S.U.B. 4
Ibanez SR500
Peavey BAM 210
Gallien-Kruger MB115 Ultralight
DigiTech Bass Whammy