lately I've seen a lot of stuff about the music industry changing. the thing on the UG front page where Thom York said it would collapse in months, this video of Trent Reznor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBxhxVIiwaA. its long so I'll just explain, he says that the music industry will become more internet dependent and that each record company will have something kind of like Rhapsody where you pay a monthly fee to listen to their artists, also a few days ago i got a friend request on Facebook from www.mlmusik.com. is it happening? what do you guys think about the change in the industry?
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
I agree in that it is happening. Who cares, it's not like it hasn't changed before
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's never really changed this much AFAIK.

True, but it was the same situation when the age of iTunes and warez began
They say the cd format is dying, and will soon be relegated to something like vinyls today, and everything is going digital. Doomsayers dont know crap. People love tangible stuff, even if it costs more than downloading. 'Sides, entire companies [JB hifi, EB Games, whatever you guys have in your neck of the woods] are built on selling physical copies of things. Even if it comes to buying a USB stick with the album on it, which has started happening more, there is no HUGE change in that respect.

I think what is changing is that bands are starting to realise they dont need record companies as much. They get completely raped by them, and the internet has provided an alternative. Actually, the internet is the answer. It changed the world.
...In my opinion.
Quote by Benjibum2nd

I think what is changing is that bands are starting to realise they dont need record companies as much. They get completely raped by them, and the internet has provided an alternative. Actually, the internet is the answer. It changed the world.

that's actually what i was getting at, and why i was ecstatic when in heard about it.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Vinyl is still around, bands still release on 7" and 12"

I like buying CD's, it's kind of a master copy. At least when my computer goes tits up I still have my music.

I can also take that disk, play it in the car etc.

However, I do believe the music industry is changing, it always has been and always will. The internet makes it easier and harder to be discovered.

Easier in a sense that you can promote your music without having to gig and getting your music to fans and spreading your name, it is more difficult because everyone is doing it and that there are so many places to promote, not one definitive place.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Jul 23, 2010,
Most average folks don't give a crap about tangibility when it comes to music. They'll download the latest single off iTunes or torrent or something. I disagree completely, but I'm just saying that yeah, eventually CD's are gonna die and it's gonna suck.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by GezzyDiversion
I like buying CD's, it's kind of a master copy. At least when my computer goes tits up I still have my music.
You still will if you have it backed up on an mp3 player or external hard drive.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I much rather have the physical disc than the iTunes shit.

Admittedly I download a lot as I'm poor as shit right now.
Quote by Ir a+infinitive
lately I've seen a lot of stuff about the music industry changing. the thing on the UG front page where Thom York said it would collapse in months, this video of Trent Reznor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBxhxVIiwaA. its long so I'll just explain, he says that the music industry will become more internet dependent and that each record company will have something kind of like Rhapsody where you pay a monthly fee to listen to their artists, also a few days ago i got a friend request on Facebook from www.mlmusik.com. is it happening? what do you guys think about the change in the industry?

Hey man thanks for spreading the word about our company. Honestly we started MLMusik based on the fact that I hate the majority of artists that get *****d onto the radio by company's and stupid TV shows. We believe the future of music is FREE. Our site just launched on the 11th of July and we already have over 1000 marketers artists and fans. In the next 2 months we will reveal a concept that combines advertisers with song downloads and basically our artists will give downloads away to their fans for free and make between 2$ and 10$ per download. Our site is also linked to every major social network so our artists can post updates,shows,pics,vids etc on our site and it will automatically update all their social networks Youtube, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter etc. Our artists also make money anytime someone pays to become an MLMusik artist or marketer. Why send all your fans to your other social network pages when you can make good money sending them to your MLMusik page.

Big breaks don’t just happen. People make them happen through hard work, networking, courage, passion and pain!

We created MLMusik to ease that burden on musicians while helping marketers to make money and giving fans a fun and personal music experience. After all isn’t that what we all started out wanting in the beginning?

Remember when your favorite artist was just starting out and you were one of the first people at your school to listen to them and you felt that connection like you were a part of something? Imagine if you could have promoted them. For most of us that would have been close to impossible as promoting music just a decade ago was much different then it is today.

Fast forward to NOW. Internet tools have made it possible for artists who are completely outside of the traditional label system to make money from music. Fifteen years ago, if you didn’t have a label and a management team, you were lucky to get a couple hundred bucks for a gig, where you could sell a few demo tapes or self-produced CDs (which cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to produce). Promotion involved stapling fliers to light poles and sending postcards through the mail, hanging out at venue’s (until they let you play) it was expensive, time-consuming, and not very effective.

Today, you can create, distribute, and promote your music to a much larger audience for much less money. You can even set up tours, sell merchandise, and find partners, all without leaving your computer. For somebody who started out in a band from the 1990s, this is nothing short of amazing.

MLMusik is going to take this to the next level. Andrew Carnegie once said “I would rather have one percent of one hundred people’s effort then one hundred percent of my own. This statement could not be more true (after all I heard they named a Hall after that Andrew guy) .Why spend one hundred percent of your time selling yourself when you could let others do the promoting for you?

Of course, you still need to write good music and play a lot of shows (Unless you plan on winning that Idol show) that never changes. But you can make a living playing music without playing the old radio/label game or searching for the magic button that will make you into an overnight sensation. I think that there’s never been a better time to be a musician or a music fan, for that matter.

If someone were to argue that “The internet does not help musicians” I would argue that “They have never used the internet”

- Matthew Sampsell
CEO
MLMusik.com
Last edited by MLMusik at Jul 25, 2010,
I like that it's being called change, which is what it is, instead of having a thread entitled "THE VERY CONCEPT OF MUSIC IS DYING, HIDE YOUR GUITAR AND CURL UP IN THE FOETAL POSITION".

I think it's brilliant that artists are able to promote their music on their own without relying on record labels. Of course it's also easier than ever to steal music, but I think there's just a portion of society who will always want their music free, it's completely inaccurate and alarmist to assume that piracy will slowly eat away at music until no-one will buy an album anymore.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by MLMusik
Hey man thanks for spreading the word about our company. Honestly we started MLMusik based on the fact that I hate the majority of artists that get *****d onto the radio by company's and stupid TV shows. We believe the future of music is FREE. Our site just launched on the 11th of July and we already have over 1000 marketers artists and fans. In the next 2 months we will reveal a concept that combines advertisers with song downloads and basically our artists will give downloads away to their fans for free and make between 2$ and 10$ per download. Our site is also linked to every major social network so our artists can post updates,shows,pics,vids etc on our site and it will automatically update all their social networks Youtube, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter etc. Our artists also make money anytime someone pays to become an MLMusik artist or marketer. Why send all your fans to your other social network pages when you can make good money sending them to your MLMusik page.

Big breaks don’t just happen. People make them happen through hard work, networking, courage, passion and pain!

We created MLMusik to ease that burden on musicians while helping marketers to make money and giving fans a fun and personal music experience. After all isn’t that what we all started out wanting in the beginning?

Remember when your favorite artist was just starting out and you were one of the first people at your school to listen to them and you felt that connection like you were a part of something? Imagine if you could have promoted them. For most of us that would have been close to impossible as promoting music just a decade ago was much different then it is today.

Fast forward to NOW. Internet tools have made it possible for artists who are completely outside of the traditional label system to make money from music. Fifteen years ago, if you didn’t have a label and a management team, you were lucky to get a couple hundred bucks for a gig, where you could sell a few demo tapes or self-produced CDs (which cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to produce). Promotion involved stapling fliers to light poles and sending postcards through the mail, hanging out at venue’s (until they let you play) it was expensive, time-consuming, and not very effective.

Today, you can create, distribute, and promote your music to a much larger audience for much less money. You can even set up tours, sell merchandise, and find partners, all without leaving your computer. For somebody who started out in a band from the 1990s, this is nothing short of amazing.

MLMusik is going to take this to the next level. Andrew Carnegie once said “I would rather have one percent of one hundred people’s effort then one hundred percent of my own. This statement could not be more true (after all I heard they named a Hall after that Andrew guy) .Why spend one hundred percent of your time selling yourself when you could let others do the promoting for you?

Of course, you still need to write good music and play a lot of shows (Unless you plan on winning that Idol show) that never changes. But you can make a living playing music without playing the old radio/label game or searching for the magic button that will make you into an overnight sensation. I think that there’s never been a better time to be a musician or a music fan, for that matter.

If someone were to argue that “The internet does not help musicians” I would argue that “They have never used the internet”

- Matthew Sampsell
CEO
MLMusik.com

Can you explain a little more about this system? I read the website and I found it a little confusing, but it sounds promising.

Are independent promoters just people like me, like say a fan of a band? On the website you say you pay bonuses for adding artists and promoters to one's own "organization". And what do you mean exactly by "upline", and "downline"?

The major labels are gonna die. Only older people buy a lot of physical albums, because they don't know how to use the internet like the new generation does. And major labels are too stupid to realized that people are gonna stop buying those "little plastic discs" as Trent Reznor says. But the new generation doesn't generally buy CD's, except for music fans like us on this website. So we need a new system for sure, but I think it will end up being better for artists and fans, and probably a whole hell of a lot cheaper because there won't be greedy middle men like the major labels.

Looking forward to the future.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
I think it's likely there won't be just 1 medium, I don't think they can really completely stop production of CDs either. Lots of us like having the physical disc.

I LOVE buying discs. Even vinyls.

Yes, I have a record player >:]

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE
Quote by whalepudding
I like that it's being called change, which is what it is, instead of having a thread entitled "THE VERY CONCEPT OF MUSIC IS DYING, HIDE YOUR GUITAR AND CURL UP IN THE FOETAL POSITION".

I think it's brilliant that artists are able to promote their music on their own without relying on record labels. Of course it's also easier than ever to steal music, but I think there's just a portion of society who will always want their music free, it's completely inaccurate and alarmist to assume that piracy will slowly eat away at music until no-one will buy an album anymore.

When I say FREE..In no way do I mean FREE as in the artists get robbed out of their songs. I actually love this PSA by Kid Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCADfZD-eg

What we are actually doing is giving the songs to fans in return for information. Thanks to the can spam and the do not call laws that our government has passed. Company's must now have permission from a person to call or email them. This has created a wonderful opportunity called cpa offers. Basically millions of company's will pay you to get people to give up their email and phone number thus granting permission to be advertised to. Depending on the company you can recieve anywhere from 3$ to 30$ (depending on the company. What we plan on doing is simply telling fans they can A: Pay 1$ to download a song (In which our artists make about 50 cents after we pay paypal and the marketer that sent the fan to the artists page)
or B: The fan can have the song for free if they take a moment to fill out the cpa form (In which the cpa company will then pay us 2$ to 30$ depending on the offer and the artist receives half the money and the marketer receives their percentage)

Can you explain a little more about this system? I read the website and I found it a little confusing, but it sounds promising.

Are independent promoters just people like me, like say a fan of a band? On the website you say you pay bonuses for adding artists and promoters to one's own "organization". And what do you mean exactly by "upline", and "downline"?

The major labels are gonna die. Only older people buy a lot of physical albums, because they don't know how to use the internet like the new generation does. And major labels are too stupid to realized that people are gonna stop buying those "little plastic discs" as Trent Reznor says. But the new generation doesn't generally buy CD's, except for music fans like us on this website. So we need a new system for sure, but I think it will end up being better for artists and fans, and probably a whole hell of a lot cheaper because there won't be greedy middle men like the major labels.

Looking forward to the future.

Yes our promoters are just regular folks that love music and want to make money. When we talk about "your own organization" Anyone you get to join (be it a band or another promoter/marketer) You will get a cut of the money they make as well...So upline is the guy above you that helps you out (because if you make money he makes money) and downline is the guys you sign up and help out (because when they make money you make money) As for the regular fans on our site that do not pay to join..They are allowed to create a profile and use our forums,comment on artist pages and soon we will have a messaging system similar to like a yahoo messenger but only live while on our site.
Last edited by MLMusik at Jul 25, 2010,
Am I the only one that finds it odd the MLMusik username was almost literally just created after being mentioned?
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by offspring_punk
Am I the only one that finds it odd the MLMusik username was almost literally just created after being mentioned?

I thought it was pretty suspicious also...also seems like blatant advertising in a forum. Hmm...

Feels like an infomercial.

"Do you hate paying for overpriced music? Do you want more of that money to go to the artist? Well at MLMusik you'll only pay a dollar for downloads! But wait!!! If you sign up for this marketing company you can get it for free!"

Disclaimer in fast inaudible language, "blah, blah, blah, we'll sell your information, blah, blah, blah, enjoy the spam sucker, blah, blah, blah."
Quote by offspring_punk

Anytime a link is posted to our site it shows up on our traffic report..I actually have no clue who the guy is that posted the link. We are actually looking into paying to advertise on this site.
I actually wasnt advertising...check the IP adress i signed up on and always sign in on and check the one that he signed up on and signed in on...no way affiliated. I just the Mlmusik thing was pretty awesome. But i dont have $198 bucks laying around to join
Quote by herby190
Ive said it before and Ill say it again. The record industry is not even 100 years old really. Only for the last 60 or 70 years has the music industry been able to sell quality recordings without a serious risk of pirating. Before that, musicians made all their money performing. For a few decades, a guy could get rich by leeching money out of musicians but I think (and hope) that era is coming to an end.
Quote by Ir a+infinitive
I actually wasnt advertising...check the IP adress i signed up on and always sign in on and check the one that he signed up on and signed in on...no way affiliated. I just the Mlmusik thing was pretty awesome. But i dont have $198 bucks laying around to join

Seems like a good idea for artists, but it's expensive as balls
There's already been bands releasing digital copies of their albums, Bullet For My Valentine released Scream aim fire on as a digital copy as well as the CD, the digital copy came with the Artwork, and a nifty bullet shaped usb stick. if they did this. id be happy.

Sparxedit:

Quote by sk8ordie97
**** the RIAA **** the major labels and **** anyone whose on their side. that is all.

Grow up.
if any of the major labels offered you a deal you'd do what every other artist does, look at the money involved, not understand any of the contract and sign your soul away. people who say screw labels, screw this screw that, have no idea what they're talking about. and sound rather stupid in saying such ludicrous statements.

any artist would happily take a major label deal. they have the power to make you huge, if you allow them to
i'm Ginger its fun
Last edited by Sparky-MMA at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by food1010
You still will if you have it backed up on an mp3 player or external hard drive.

Yeah, you have a crappy low resolution version of the original. Listen to a CD and then the ipod version through the same GOOD stereo system with big speakers and a full frequency range you'll see what I mean.
Quote by Fretboard Phil
Yeah, you have a crappy low resolution version of the original. Listen to a CD and then the ipod version through the same GOOD stereo system with big speakers and a full frequency range you'll see what I mean.

You could say the same thing about vinyl vs. CD, but that didnt save LP's
Quote by MLMusik

- Matthew Sampsell
CEO
MLMusik.com

*reported*
Go do this shit somewhere else.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Yeah this is definitely a bullshit ploy for someone to try and advertise their site.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's never really changed this much AFAIK.

its only like going from cassette to CD

with every new medium quality goes down

Vinyl > Cassette > CD > Digital

quality has deteriorated over the mediums, and CD is a digital copy in theory.

the last analog medium was cassette.

you seem to be forgetting that a .Wav is a digital rendition of audio. much like .Mp3 and the various filetypes. so in CDs we're getting digital copies.

On the side of the digital copies albums will be cheaper. it will always be cheaper to click upload than press tens of thousands of CD's/Booklets etc.

however people will lose jobs over it which in the current economic climate isn't a good thing to happen.

theres pros and cons to both sides. the fact that you wont get your hands on a piece of paper with ink on it is a pretty small one compared to the companies who manufacture CD cases and various other components to make the CDs having to make cuts and people having to lose their jobs over a shift in the music industry.
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
*reported*
Go do this shit somewhere else.

First time im not gona follow one of these posts up by simply saying "TWAT".
I rather have the cd, the truth is while Mp3 players are good, that cd is a hard copy. Also I rather have the whole album on a cd for all the music. I guess it the same for old hippies and their records.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
I don't see how its a ploy to advertise that site, i am in no way affiliated with that site, and i find it kind of cool that the CEO posted in my thread, **** you im talking about a change in the music industry and you somehow take the one thing i mentioned in my original post and say its an advertisement ploy, grow up.
Quote by herby190