i have recently gotten back into Hendrix, i haven't been playing long but I'd say I'm proficient, what are some Hendrix licks that he uses in solo's?
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
listen to his songs? o.O

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
He used a lot of cliche blues riffs as well as some of his own. Techniques you should focus on if you want to master his playing:
-Bending Properly ***(A lot of people think they can bend properly to their desired tone, but this is actually tougher than you think to master. When I think of nice bends I think of Gilmore, Hendrix, Froosh, etc.)
-Trills
-Legato
-Use of Wah
-"Thumb" chords. A lot of Hendrix stuff is tough to play unless you can grab the neck like he did by fretting the low E string with your thumb. This allows you to use your thumb for playing the root note and leaves your other 4 fingers free to improvise and embellish chord shapes. Some people may disagree and say this isn't the "proper" way to play, but there is no "proper" way. It worked for him. It works for many others. It's just another technique you can use. I use it sometimes, and other times I find it more appropriate to play with my thumb on the back of the neck.
-Building on the above, learn different chord shapes and inversions for major, minor, 7th, 9th chords, etc. Hendrix loved to take a basic major or minor chord and embellish it by hammering on/pulling off to different chord extensions or voicings.
-Pentatonic scales (he didn't always stick to pentatonics, especially live, but a lot of his solos are based on pentatonic and blues scales)
-Drop acid (just kidding! )

EDIT: I forgot the most important point to my response. Try learning some of his songs. Some typical Hendrix-style songs include Little Wing, Bold As Love, Wind Cries Mary. Listen to them, play them, and you'll see the licks he liked to use. However, keep in mind that Hendrix never played a song the same way twice. He was big on improvising around his song structures. So, take some of his licks if you wish, come up with some of your own, and have fun with it!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Jul 23, 2010,
Aside from the techniques mentioned above, he'll also do trills with double stops and he has this crazy bending lick where he'll bend up the B string a whole step in the 1st position of the pentatonic minor, then reverse bend the G string back down from a whole step up. Sounds easy, but he does it like a bend and release on a single string.
Quote by STONESHAKER
Aside from the techniques mentioned above, he'll also do trills with double stops and he has this crazy bending lick where he'll bend up the B string a whole step in the 1st position of the pentatonic minor, then reverse bend the G string back down from a whole step up. Sounds easy, but he does it like a bend and release on a single string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzNh36O2ULk

Is this what you're talking about? That sounds so cool.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Listen to machine gun off band of gypsy...whoa!!
Practice your pentaonic blues scale,don't get too fancy or carried away with note selection stay basic in theory and crazy on your feeling...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

-"Thumb" chords. A lot of Hendrix stuff is tough to play unless you can grab the neck like he did by fretting the low E string with your thumb. This allows you to use your thumb for playing the root note and leaves your other 4 fingers free to improvise and embellish chord shapes. Some people may disagree and say this isn't the "proper" way to play, but there is no "proper" way. It worked for him. It works for many others.
I did not know that, that is freaking awesome.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzNh36O2ULk

Is this what you're talking about? That sounds so cool.

Its weird I never really associated that lick with hendrix....hmmm lol its a good basic lick though you can use it to set up a high E screaming note or for whatever else....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think