I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar, and I've found 2 I've sort of been looking at. One is a Takamine G Series G406S New Yorker, and the other is a Breedlove Passport C200/SMP.
I want an acoustic that I can carry around with me and play everywhere, song write with, play with friends, and whatever else I might want. I'm sort of in the $300-$450 range. If you think of any other guitars I may like, or any reasons why one of these is better over the other, please let me know. Thank you

PS I dont mind if its acoustic-electric or not, its a nice feature but I'd like to eventually install an LR Baggs pickup system in it.
Ovation Celeb models first, sounds good, second, indestructible, third plays faster than some electrics, third no need to put in a pick up later stock is already pretty high end. fourth, (if it matters to you) individuality factor is off the wall.
I had a similar budget when I bought my acoustic, and I went for a Tanglewood - which I'm happy with. I've played a few Takamine guitars and have found that they're really good, and I've got friends that use them and say they're great guitars for the price. I've never played a Breedlove guitar, and I don't know anybody that has one (that's not to say they aren't good though)

I'd say just keep looking and find something that you like the feel and sound of. But Takamine is probably a good bet.
Last one on drugs is a queer.
Quote by EFGuitar
Ovation Celeb models first, sounds good, second, indestructible, third plays faster than some electrics, third no need to put in a pick up later stock is already pretty high end. fourth, (if it matters to you) individuality factor is off the wall.

Hmmm, sounds interesting... Ill look into it
Quote by SRisley
I had a similar budget when I bought my acoustic, and I went for a Tanglewood - which I'm happy with. I've played a few Takamine guitars and have found that they're really good, and I've got friends that use them and say they're great guitars for the price. I've never played a Breedlove guitar, and I don't know anybody that has one (that's not to say they aren't good though)

I'd say just keep looking and find something that you like the feel and sound of. But Takamine is probably a good bet.

A few of my friends own Takamines, they are pretty nice, Im just wondering what the New Yorker is like, because sadly Im not sure if they have one at any guitar shops around me. And I've heard Breedlove are really great guitars, theyre really expensive but they came out with a Passport series that is much cheaper.

But yeah I think Im going to just keep looking around, Im trying to sell my Michael Kelly Patriot Glory right now to get a new acoustic, so hopefully that works out
I'd go for Takamine-have one and it's great.Don't know how they can make such good instrument for the low price.But you need to go to the store and play-every guitar can surprise you...
neither is a better guitar. the only thing that matters is which guitar YOU prefer. i actually liked the breedlove, but have never caught up with the new yorker. i've never yet played a cheap tak i liked the sound of, but it's always possible the new yorker would be it - i've heard good things.

btw, you might want to add a seagull folk - any seagull folk - to your list. also a seagull coastline cedar grand, which is a largish parlor. and a yamaha fs720s, but if you try the yamaha, keep in mind they ship them now with yamaha strings, which sound crappy. i thought they had changed the entire line, but it turned out the strings were what changed, so the guitars sound small and jangly. ask your local gc rep to change the strings for you if you're interested.
went to guitar center today and played both of these. i absolutely fell in love with the breedlove i played. it was the c250/cm omfg amazing. it sounded exactly like the $1500 martin right next to it. I have 300 saved up and my birthday is in a month so i'll be picking it up next month. no doubt about it.

takamine is also a good bet, but the breedlove had a much deeper sound. it depends on what sound you are looking for. the tak had better treble, and the breedlove had better bass.
Last edited by mkocian17 at Jul 25, 2010,
Go with a Takamine. They're lovely guitars. Brilliant value and brilliant sound. I've got a Takamine EG523SC and I absolutely love it.
All very helpful posts, thank you everyone. I went to Guitar Center the other day and tried out quite a bit of guitars. They didn't have either one of those models, but they had many Takamines and Breedloves. I loved the playability on both of them, so I kinda paid attention most to the sound. There was a Takamine dreadnought that sounded wonderful, I guess I really liked it because it had good volume. Breedlove sounded great too but it didn't stick in my mind that well. There was a Takamine electric-acoustic that had really nice features and had a good sound, but was glossed so it sounded sort of muffled. Should I go with the warm loud sounding dreadnought with no strap pins or electronics or anything, or the electric-acoustic with strap pins (sunburst by the way) with exotic wood grain (and glossed). What do you guys think?
I would go with the nice sounding dreadnought, but that's just me. I never really liked the sound of a piezo transducer, and for me an acoustic guitar should excel when played fully acoustically. You can always add strap buttons or attach the front end of the strap to the headstock.