I'm in a pop-punk band atm (think early All-American-Rejects), and I can't really find a good tone for what we're playing. Right now I'm using a Peavey Vypyr 30W, and my pedals are a DS-1 ( ), and a MXR Classic Overdrive (pretty much just a boost for solos). I've been listening to sound clips of the Big Muff, and I think it sounds great. My only question is, do you guys think it's too bassy for the kind of music I'll be playing?
Thanks.
Sending a dummy to my God.

Why not use the Vypyr's distortion?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you want a good big muff, check out Stomp Under Foot, the tone knob on those are very usable and if you don't want that huge low end, you can just set it to something like 6-7.

Though i'd just look at your amps own modelling, even good pedals through modeller practice amps = not so good
Quote by Raijouta
Why not use the Vypyr's distortion?

I can't take its distortion on nearly all of the amp models. It just never sounds good to me.

a big muff is only as bassy as how you set it, so you should be fine. i have a big muff with tone wicker and it kicks ass, the only thing you should be worried about is that big muffs tend to sound different when played in a band context and tend to get lost in the mix a lot so you might want to put an EQ after the muff to boost the mids or you'll have to crank your amp to the max
gear:
Charvel 750XL w/ Duncan SH15
Squier Affinity HSS strat
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
^Not if you have a quality muff, NY muffs just bore me, tried one in a band and it cut pretty well if you ask me, just try not having the mids scooped to death on them
Stick with natural amp tube distortion (as I always say). Pedal Distortion/Overdrive sucks compared to a good tube amp. If your thinking about All-American Rejects, they use Vox amps for there tone if you like it. Might wanna check that would if your interested.
I might add, the Big Muff's character isn't particularly ideal for fast palm-muted power chords; it sounds kind of different.
I agree zakarai... i have never found a distortion pedal other than a pod xt live that i really liked and that's because it has amp modeling. there is nothing better than a good tube amp sound. save your cash, hock the vyper, and the pedals except the classic over drive and get a peavey valve king 212 you can find one used at a decent price, and you can use the MXR as a boost, but the peavey has a boost channel on it.
I'd much rather have a nice OD over a stock VK for any distortion.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by stykerwolf
If you want a good big muff, check out Stomp Under Foot, the tone knob on those are very usable and if you don't want that huge low end, you can just set it to something like 6-7.

Though i'd just look at your amps own modelling, even good pedals through modeller practice amps = not so good

The Vypyr seems to take distortion pedals fairly well.

I'll also recommend Stomp Under Foot.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It's not that great for it really,will be too raunchy i reckon.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett