Hi there,

Could anyone tell me the actual name for this Scale?

e 8 9
B 8 9 11
G 9 10
D 8 10 11
A 7 8 10 11
E 8 9

The notes are:

C C# E F G G# A#

It's named simply "Spanish Scale" in a book I have, but I wondered if it had a more specific name?

Cheers
Tom
Quote by blue_strat
C Phrygian Dominant

C Db E F G Ab Bb
This. Make sure you don't double up note names. In heptatonic scales you want to try to use one of each note.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
It could also be F Harmonic Minor

F G G# A# C C# E
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TMF128
It could also be F Harmonic Minor

F G Ab Bb C Db E
If F was the root, then yes. Oh, and fixed.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by blue_strat
C Phrygian Dominant

C Db E F G Ab Bb

thats ur answer right there, and thats a mode of the harmonic scale. specifically, its the 5th mode of F harmonic minor. it does have a spanish flavor, and a major quality (the 3 isn't flat), where the harmonic minor (in its 1st mode) has a classical/middle eastern flavor and obviously is minor (b3, and its in the name)
Quote by Chomalom
Is there a particular reason why Db is used as a preference over C#?

Because when using scales that contain 7 notes, you want to try and use every letter, rather then doubling up one. Tell me, which one looks better?

D E F# G A B C# D

or

D E Gb G A B Db D

Also, it makes sheet music a bit easier, You can have one accidental for each letter in the key signature, then you don't have to worry about random accidentals throughout the piece *assuming theres nothing altered*, so if you wanted to go C# to D, you dont have to change anything on the piece, but if you had Db D, you'd need to add a natural sign *if the D was normally flat* or have to flatten the D, then alter it back to D natural.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Last edited by Zinnie at Jul 23, 2010,
This can be played in any key....in C it is the interval between the C# (Db) and E that gives it the flavor. Emphasize this interval whan when striking individual notes in a run. in the key of E you can sound instantly like an accomplished Spanish guitarist.
Quote by Chomalom
Ahh makes sense, thanks guys!

Anytime my friend
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic