Page 1 of 4
So here's a little story
Today i went to a local music store. I got my mind totally set on buying a used Marshall TSL 122, it costed 440 euro, wich i saw on their website. Unfortunatly it was gone!
But after some talkint the owner of the store he got me to try a Vox AD100 (the latest valvetronix). At first i was like meh, i want all tube. Tried it in the store at low volume, still kinda meh-ish. But after the owner talked to me about tube maintenaince (how much it costs) and assured me about 3 times that if i wouldn't like the amp enough i could return it, no problem, i took it home.
And damn, at high volume this baby really sounded good. Let me put it like this: It's 90% tube sound with only 10% of the problems (as it's still heavy and loud).
So i'm wondering, unless your life depends on your tone, why would anyone buy a tubeamp? Did i mention this amp can model 22 different amps and 11 great quality effects, is loud, and has like 8 footswitchable channels among other features? Also, it costs only 450 euros around here, wich is about half of a good tube amp (not to mention maintanance!!).

So, to finish things: When i woke up this morning i thought my life wouldn't be complete with a tube amp. But now i'm cured :p . Only thing that's left for it is band practice next sunday, let's hope it'll sound just as nice then .
Have a nice day!
Because we're tools.

No but seriously, that tube maintenance is a huge load of bull****. The Valvetronix aren't bad at all, but yeah.
I have a huge fear if rays.
hahaha tube high maintenance? every year or two you replace the tubes, which you can get at a relatively low price.
There's something living in these lines.
im actually satisfied with my tone, from an 80's solid state Laney and a EHX metal muff. congrats on your new amp too. if you can answer this though, can you use the amp without having to use one of the amp presets?
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
you buy like 50 dollars of tubes every year.
and they sound better.

man this will not end well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
you got screwed!
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I agree completely, tube amps are mostly just placebo. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell apart a tube and a ss amp if you heard audio samples of both.
They sound warm, organic, and dynamic. If you can afford $1,000+ for a tube amp, and not $50 a year.. Then I don't know.

Ss and hybrid sound good. Then play it with a tube amp at the same time.. That's why I like tube amps.
/rig
Quote by Lambal
Let me put it like this: It's 90% tube sound with only 10% of the problems (as it's still heavy and loud).

Sorry... but no.

I owned an AD30VT. It was a decent amp, but that Marshall would've destroyed it

Tube amps don't have "problems." Whoever told you that is an idiot. You have to replace tubes once every 2 years or so with normal use. Every part on a tube amp is completely replaceable, if something happens to your Vox, you're pretty much screwed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by --ESTRANGED--
im actually satisfied with my tone, from an 80's solid state Laney and a EHX metal muff. congrats on your new amp too. if you can answer this though, can you use the amp without having to use one of the amp presets?

hey i got that same laney =)

honestly, i like SS amps
but I have a few tube amps, and they just slay the SS ones in every imaginable way, really, a good tube amp sounds amazing, feels amazing, looks amazing... it is definitelty worth every penny and every penny of every tube you'll ever buy
A model isn't the same as the real thing, that's why people buy tube amps. Plus modelling amps have a very, very bad reputation, such as the Spider. Also, tube maintanance isn't too bad, about $100 for tubes whenever they need replaced (Or at least, that's how much they are for my Marshall).
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Quote by canihasbucket
I agree completely, tube amps are mostly just placebo. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell apart a tube and a ss amp if you heard audio samples of both.

Maybe on a recording. Try live. To me, ss high gain is too shrill or scooped. I'm not saying ss or hybrids are junk, just not my sonic cup of tea.
/rig
omfg this thread..

lol, anyway... My life DOES depend on tone.

Who could live without knowing that when they play their guitar, the souls of innocent children are burned to fuel the ragepower of your amp which in turn creates a vortex of br00t4lz that jump out of your speaker cabinet and frighten nuns into comas?

WHO I ASK YOU?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Please, let it be clear that i'm trolling. Maybe i'm just jealous of u guys that own tube amps . But not nearly as much as with my SS Fender amp .
Also, i can't really judge it yet till band repetition... I hope it'll sound great with drums and bass! And i hope the vocals'll be allright! (i am also the singer ).

By the way, a tip for valvetronix users: put a EQ or tubeschreamer in the effects loop, it makes all the difference!!

Quote by --ESTRANGED--

Yes, there is a manual mode and you can make 8 of your own presets. Buy a footswitch for it btw, it really helps.

Quote by DakoRob

Who could live without knowing that when they play their guitar, the souls of innocent children are burned to fuel the ragepower of your amp which in turn creates a vortex of br00t4lz that jump out of your speaker cabinet and frighten nuns into comas?

WHO I ASK YOU?

Epic win .
Last edited by Lambal at Jul 23, 2010,
Tube amps and solid state amps amplify and distort quite differently from each other thus they sound quite different. Why one is preferred over the other is merely a matter of preference and budget.

There are a good few ss amps that I would take over many tube amps, but at the end of the day the Splawn Nitro is still the end all of amps as far as I'm concerned.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
high maintenance cost? wtf is this bullshit she spewed
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Darkflame
^ other way around, I'd say... it is way more apparent on a recording
live, you have the room's ambiant reverb, the rest of the band's mix, the more or less crappy sound system... the tone degrades fast in a live situation, especially when people are screaming
But then in a professional studio setting, there are all kinds of studio production tricks that you can use to make a barely passable tone sound solid and professional.

Quote by justinb904
Tube amps and solid state amps amplify and distort quite differently from each other thus they sound quite different. Why one is preferred over the other is merely a matter of preference and budget.
+1. Tube does sounds that SS can't replicate and likewise, SS does sounds that tube can't replicate.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by Darkflame
^true, but if you have a bad sound at first, the ending sound will not be as convincing as if you used a good amp in the beginning

+1. Right, and well, whats the point in polishing a turd?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Quote by AcousticMirror
this thread is not funny. back away slowly.

Or you could bust a nut to these amps.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Most of us prefer tube tones.

In other words, we don't like listening to harsh, screeching tones at high volumes.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by canihasbucket

No, you would be able to. If you can't either a lot of engineering has gone into the sound to make it sound tube/notsotube like or you need to develop your ears.

Sure there are some awesome SS amps, but you can't just dismiss tubes. For every awesome SS amp there's like 10 awesome tube amp.

EDIT: AM, do you have the Master on that SLO turned to 10?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror

i buy them because they look pretty.

On the other hand, look at this

In real life it looks like the grill of a nice car.
I can't afford a nice car, so it's a nice bonus over any tube amp that has plain speakercloth.
I'm sorry, that's all.
Quote by Lambal

In real life it looks like the grill of a nice car.
I can't afford a nice car, so it's a nice bonus over any tube amp that has plain speakercloth.
I'm sorry, that's all.

Looks more like punched sheet metal to me, but like tone it's all preference. Personally I like the look of AM's Bogner over that by a long shot.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by So-Cal
You're still going to have to replace the 12ax7.

Not really on an AD100. Since they're using the 12AX7 in the power section and outputting very, very low yield which is then boosted by a tube-emulating SS power section that does almost all the work, there's almost no stress on the single tube at all. The thing doesn't even glow. I replaced the stock Chinese EH with a Russian-made Tung-Sol, but other than that, I don't plan on touching the AX7 on my AD30VT again.

I find it funny, though, how the tone gets sweeter as you boost the volume even though the tube is still not being put under much more stress. Near as I can tell, this is the tube emulation in the SS power section at work, which makes me wonder if the whole concept behind the Valvetronix series is to take a great-sounding, well-designed SS amp and shove a 12AX7 in there to give the buyer that "placebo effect" that a few people have already mentioned here. I guess it worked for me.
Quote by SimplyBen

There's a rule about playing SLOs with the volume below max.

If you violate said rule you are never allowed to touch a guitar or amp again. Also you get shot.
Quote by SimplyBen

No, he's got the gain turned all the way up though.

And because of the way they work, transistors will never sound or feel like tubes. That's why people buy tube amps. With normal use, tubes last around 2 years and when they need to be replaced the cost usually varies between $50-$200 depending on the amp. That's nothing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by RoflCopter Ace
Not really on an AD100. Since they're using the 12AX7 in the power section and outputting very, very low yield which is then boosted by a tube-emulating SS power section that does almost all the work, there's almost no stress on the single tube at all. The thing doesn't even glow. I replaced the stock Chinese EH with a Russian-made Tung-Sol, but other than that, I don't plan on touching the AX7 on my AD30VT again.

I find it funny, though, how the tone gets sweeter as you boost the volume even though the tube is still not being put under much more stress. Near as I can tell, this is the tube emulation in the SS power section at work, which makes me wonder if the whole concept behind the Valvetronix series is to take a great-sounding, well-designed SS amp and shove a 12AX7 in there to give the buyer that "placebo effect" that a few people have already mentioned here. I guess it worked for me.

If you aren't putting any stress on the tube it might as well not even have a tube. Also the tube is in the preamp; FYI - the small ones are preamp tubes and the big ones are powertubes.
12AX7s can be used as preamp or power amp tubes. It depends on how you use them. They're a complete gimmick in the Vox amps.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Tube amps are a b***h. Plain and simple. $50 on tubes? Unless you've got a 5w amp with only two tubes and you're using the cheapest ones available, nuh-uh. And then what happens when you decide you don't like the power tubes you used last time? You gotta pay $50-75 to get your amp re-biased, along with the price of new tubes. I love the sound, but I can't afford to be feeding my amp $100 bills every year.

With my current setup, I've got tone that is much better than just about every other SS setup I've heard, and the upkeep is nil. If you can afford it, get a tube amp. And get one that's great. And enjoy it! For the rest of us, you do what you can.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by ChrisBW
If you aren't putting any stress on the tube it might as well not even have a tube. Also the tube is in the preamp; FYI - the small ones are preamp tubes and the big ones are powertubes.

Like the guy above me said, AX7's can be used in both preamp and power amp sections. On the VOX AD and VT Valvetronix series they're in the power section.
I used to have a marshall valvestate halfstack about a year after starting to play back in like 96 I thought it was really cool at first but after playing through a friends fender twin and then saving up to buy a tube marshall and playing them side by side there's no compairison.the SS has a thinner tone,it may have the ablilty to have more gain but it has no balls and putting a overdrive pedal in front of it didn't help its balls problem
To sum things up that's the biggest difference I can tell,and I've had my jcm 800 now for 11 years and I've never had a problem I change tubes every year or so and amazing tone and a huge ballsy tone
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Lambal
unless your life depends on your tone

Well lets see here... *takes away tone* zOMG I'm freezing to death in the icy nothingness of regular life
Seriously, anyone that is serious about playing guitar should also be serious about there tone. It doesn't matter if its from SS or tubes, as long as you are striving for a better sound, because in the end thats what its all about right?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Tube amps are a b***h. Plain and simple. $50 on tubes? Unless you've got a 5w amp with only two tubes and you're using the cheapest ones available, nuh-uh. And then what happens when you decide you don't like the power tubes you used last time? You gotta pay $50-75 to get your amp re-biased, along with the price of new tubes. I love the sound, but I can't afford to be feeding my amp $100 bills every year.

With my current setup, I've got tone that is much better than just about every other SS setup I've heard, and the upkeep is nil. If you can afford it, get a tube amp. And get one that's great. And enjoy it! For the rest of us, you do what you can.

You only need your power tubes changed that often if you play fairly loud. Modern production preamp tubes last 2-5 years in my experience and power tubes will last around 1-2 and possibly longer depending on how loud and often you play. And unless you're completely brain dead, biasing tubes is easy. And even if you can't, it's unnecessary unless they're red plating.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by canihasbucket

Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I've always been afraid to touch the guts of tube amps, I'm afraid I'll break something. But yeah, when I was using a tube amp, I was gigging and cranking it over a drummer. They went out considerably more often than most do.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Page 1 of 4