Hi,

I was just wondering has anyone used a joystick as a some sort on blend/tone/killswitch/wah/whammy pot on a guitar.

Because I've got a few ideas for a some sort of a steampunk guitar, and I just thought it would be nice to have sort of total overkill control setup in it. Something that really doesn't make any sense, but would still work.

So I was just wondering has anyone done anything like this, or would someone have any sort of doable ideas for the joystick.
you would need to be able to work with microcontrollers and things like that. unless you can do some serious coding/processor work you're out of luck.

but, another option that could be something kinda like what you're wanting could be installing a Kaoss Pad into the guitar, like what Matt from Muse has.

ill post a pic, tell me if you want more info and ill get you something. otherwise, please google it to get sound samples.

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
http://www.spelektroniikka.fi/tuotteet/elektroniikka-elektroniikan-uutuudet-ja-vanhuudet/analoginen-joystick-100453

That is an old analog Joystick, which seems to be quite simple in structure. So I could be using that, because that thing just simply has two potentiometers for axels.

That wah thingy could be cool, but how could I insert the wah into the guitar. ;D Buy a cheapo Wah and take the circuitry out and insert into the guitar somehow.
now that joystick is neato! i think ill get me one!

but if you're talking about a USB joystick, you'd need some microprocessor work.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Yeah I know about the kaos pad, it's a one option, but for some reason I want something different. Like combining some sort of fuzz circuit with into the joystick or a something.

This is just throwing out crazy ideas, and see if they would turn into something.
It would be really cool if you used the joystick as a modulation/pitch bend controller, like on a keyboard.

I imagine tilting it left or right would move it up or down a half step, tilting it up or down would move it down/up a full step, and twisting it would raise/lower it by an octave.

That would be REALLY hard to do, you would have to be a genius to program that, and it would only work on a midi guitar, but it would be really cool.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Adding a joystick would probably be too complicated. If you find a schematic ok, but engineering your own will be VERY complicated.

I'd suggest you to start engineering a momentary killswitch, before thinking about a joystick. Killswitches are actually very simple, and very easy to figure out. And if you cannot do that, then forget the joystick.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by TMF128
It would be really cool if you used the joystick as a modulation/pitch bend controller, like on a keyboard.

I imagine tilting it left or right would move it up or down a half step, tilting it up or down would move it down/up a full step, and twisting it would raise/lower it by an octave.

That would be REALLY hard to do, you would have to be a genius to program that, and it would only work on a midi guitar, but it would be really cool.

with an analog stick, it would be easy.

you would need to have some sort of pitch shifter with a potentiometer for going from non-shifted to half step up/down on the one axis, and the same but with a whole step for the other axis.

that would work if you removed the pieces that "center" the stick.

remember, those analog sticks are simply two potentiometers.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
with an analog stick, it would be easy.

you would need to have some sort of pitch shifter with a potentiometer for going from non-shifted to half step up/down on the one axis, and the same but with a whole step for the other axis.

that would work if you removed the pieces that "center" the stick.

remember, those analog sticks are simply two potentiometers.

As possible as it is to do, I doubt TS has the knowledge to do such a thing, unless he has the schematic provided or something.

Finding such pots would be a pain in the arse too.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

I've done (sort of) this with an old gamecube controller..

the joystick is just 2 pots side by side, so i wired them along with resistors to control the 'delay time' and 'number of repeats' on a delay pedal.

pretty neat, but they don't have a very wide range of resistances
Quote by james4
I've done (sort of) this with an old gamecube controller..

the joystick is just 2 pots side by side, so i wired them along with resistors to control the 'delay time' and 'number of repeats' on a delay pedal.

pretty neat, but they don't have a very wide range of resistances

The thread actually made me think about this. Other controllers might have other resistances. I'll definatly check that out.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Maybe you could just change the pots? And like conor said, you'd have to make it so that it wouldn't center every time you'd let go. But also, that may make it a pain if you'd need to keep it in one position...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Two words: Devi Ever.

http://www.themadape.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=D-BITMANGLER&click=1540

Here's another video demonstration in addition to the one in the first link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsxlE6mF7-8

If you can get the circuit for that and wire it into your guitar, that would be the raddest thing of all time. You can buy some of the parts here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/deviever?section_id=6842853

DO IT
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
^^thanks bro, looks like ill be buying one or two of those joysticks when i get some cash.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

damn that would be so awesome once you get it working, program the buttons on the joystick to make laser sounds and stuff