Hi. I'm new to electric guitar in general and I'm considering buying a small all-valve amp. The options I have in mind: JamVox, MesaTransAtlantic and VoxNightTrain, but they all don't have fxs-loop. The little I know regarding the advantages of the fxs-loop is that, eg if I use a delay in the distorted sound, it's better to have the delay after the pre-amp, right?

But is it too bad? Suppose it's used in a rehearsal situation not for recording.

Another doubt I have is: fxs-loops are inserted in between the pre and power amp, but if I'm overloading the power amp too to get distortion from the larger tubes they will distort the delay too, so what's the advantage? Isn't it ideal to have the delay and other fxs that reacts better after the distortion, after the power amp?
the loop will let you use your effects over pre-gain distortion
a chorus isn't as apparent when it's going into the front of a distorted amp, the delay's repeats will become clean, the trem will clean up instead of fading away... it's mostly to get the actual effect the pedal is supposed to make
if you like the sound, then it's fine, i don't use any effects loop and i have 2 amps jacked in stereo, and it sounds amazing ;-)
Good, so it's not really a rule and as you said ... if it sounds good and you like it, no problems.

Between the 3 mentioned amps, I like the Vox NightTrain better, the only cons is only 1 channel :-( would be nice a 2 channels and a footswitch
^i loved the vox ac15 and i've heard the night train is verysimilar
honestly, to me, features don't matter as much as price... worse case scenario you can always get a 2nd amp you'd use as a 2nd channel... I have 2 half-stacks, one being a clean amp and the other one being a crunch amp, and they're my 2 channels =)
Quote by sohdubom
Good, so it's not really a rule and as you said ... if it sounds good and you like it, no problems.

Between the 3 mentioned amps, I like the Vox NightTrain better, the only cons is only 1 channel :-( would be nice a 2 channels and a footswitch

I had a Night Train. That thing was awesome, but I sold it and bought an Egnater Tweaker because of its versatility. You should check it out. It's a crazy little amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdaXJ85Am9w
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Out of the three amps you mentioned, I've only experienced the TransAtlantic... I stand by that amp. It may not be Mesa's top-of-the-line amp, but DAMN does it sound fine, especially for the price.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)