i know that plywood is the least desired wood for a guitar (with the exception of plastic and pdf or whatever it is) but how bad is it exactly?
obviously its useable but it is as bad as everybody says it is?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
It probably is as bad as people make it out to be.

It's not a coincidence that no guitar bands use plywood.

Now if you want a wood-expert answer, I can't really give it to you.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

EDIT: ^ The guy above me; Danelectro.

You can make a perfectly usable, good guitar out of it. It may not be as good as mahogany or whatever, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference when your playing live.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
EDIT: ^ The guy above me; Danelectro.

You can make a perfectly usable, good guitar out of it. It may not be as good as mahogany or whatever, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference when your playing live.

Yeah... no.

Plywood sucks. It's hard to work with, looks bad and sounds extremely bad too. Anyone could tell the difference between plywood and mahogany if they compared the two.
plywood is to guitars as what paint by numbers is to art
For a heart of ice,
a winters night is a breathless kiss,

For a heart of fire,
a summers day is a lovers embrace.

-Me-
"ohh a piece of candy!!!"
Quote by Schism1985
Yeah... no.

Plywood sucks. It's hard to work with, looks bad and sounds extremely bad too. Anyone could tell the difference between plywood and mahogany if they compared the two.

Eh I'm way too drunk to care.

Yes I can type when I'm drunk.

I really can't tell though in a band situation in a group of people who never play guitar if they can tell or even bother to tell the difference between the thing. Especially if guitar isn't the main instrument.

Man I love piano.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
what if i used it in conjunction with another wood? cause my idea was to make a sort of relic'd looking thing.
so id have a pauwlonia strat body (very light and apparently good for pinch harmonics) and i have some plywood lying around that actually has a really nice grain on top, and id like to use it as a top/veneer. now by relic'd i mean id go over it with solid black, and then sand it off in certain spots and burn around the sanded edges. that way the grain could show thru in those spots
its kinda complicated but yeaaahhh...
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
what if i used it in conjunction with another wood? cause my idea was to make a sort of relic'd looking thing.
so id have a pauwlonia strat body (very light and apparently good for pinch harmonics) and i have some plywood lying around that actually has a really nice grain on top, and id like to use it as a top/veneer. now by relic'd i mean id go over it with solid black, and then sand it off in certain spots and burn around the sanded edges. that way the grain could show thru in those spots
its kinda complicated but yeaaahhh...

Plywood relic'd? Don't. It isn't pretty, which is why you see a lot of solid colours over it. And with a veneer, I can't imagine it would be too easy to work with.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Schism1985
Yeah... no.

Schism is right. With the crossed grain and glue, ply is quite difficult to work. Saws and routers don't like crossed grain much. But, it doesn't have to look terrible. veneers FTW!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You can make a decent guitar out of it, but anyone who makes a guitar out of plywood is most likely skimping on the quality of the hardware and the quality of the work in general to get the price as low as possible, so they usually turn out low quality anyway.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by Ippon
Pfftt! You should see the MDFCaster over at TDPRI:

built by a pro, too!

That's not MDF. That's chipboard (or something). MDF is a uniform color and texture.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I made a guitar out of plywood, and it sounds fine. Better than my alder one. Just dont try to carve it. It will be hell if you do.
As for routers, just go slowly and it wont give you any trouble, or at least mine didnt.
this wouldnt be a cheapo build.
i said as a veneer because the top of this plywood doesnt look like plywood, its more like... a whole bunch of laminates. the top doesnt look like plywood at all, like it has a really nice wavy kinda grain, but the side (thinnest part) looks like plywood (whole bunch of layers) so its kinda plywood kinda not :S
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Ippon
D'oh! OSBcaster. There's also an MDFCaster there.

pics? I actually like MDF as a guitar body material. Super workable.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Its still all plywood lol, its just somewhat pretty

Is the grain similar to that? Thats the one I made, and I too found the grain on the top layer purty
yeah its kinda like that, but the wavy parts are a bit darker
i have a lot of it :S we made skim boards outta it a long time ago and we never use them so i could probably get away with using one of them.
heyy!!! IDEA
i could buy a body (GFS or something) and use this laminate wood stuff and make a double neck!!!
we've got a couple of beginner guitars lying around my house... hey this could work!
what do you guys think? this would be a project for like... after christmas tho
so one half would be a mahogany Epi LP JR. body, and the other this laminate stuff, with one mahogany neck and one Mighty Mite maple neck.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
yeah i saw that thread a long time ago
so i had another idea that could potentially make it better:
instead of basically making two 2/3 bodies and gluing them together (one of mahogany one of plywood) i could cut 1/3 of the mahogany off, and in between the rest of the body and the 1/3, glue in a piece of plywood.
so the body would go (from left to right) 1/3 mahogany:plywood:2/3 mahogany
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
I think that if you don't carve it, and use it as a veneer it will look fine especially if you put a binding around the otside of the body covering up the edge of the plywood. using it as a thin veneer probably won't effect the tone of the wood as much as making the whole guitar out of plywood.
no sir away a papaya war is on
^Just realize it looks absolutely hideous.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
its not laminate like that, its basically just plywood with a nice grain
nothing really cool like the Zoot Suit.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Plywood, generally, is a terrible idea - BUT, I happen to own a 70's Harmony electric which has a plywood body, and it sounds amazing. The pickups are good enough (though it's a budget model, it has quirky sounding P90 copies), and the hardware so solid, that they make the body wood irrelevant.
Things like the mass of the guitar and whether there are springs or a tremolo cavity have much more influence on the sound than the actual wood used. If the hardware is good the wood doesn't make much of a difference as far as I'm concerned. Like people could tell anyway...

Be weary of snobs.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Ippon
Pfftt! You should see the MDFCaster over at TDPRI:

roof shingle pickguard

built by a pro, too!

i ****ing want!
Quote by deluthe
A friend has a very nice older Cort Strat with a plywood body and it sounds quite good. It has a real nice neck. Some Danelectro bodies are still made from Masonite. Again the low cost body is attached to a great neck. You've got to check this out if you haven't seen it yet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SohWrnzYqAk&feature=player_embedded#
Sweet!

I scored a MIK Squier II for the neck but it sounded beastly with its "cheap" stock PUs and "cheap" plywood body on my high-gain amps. It's a stealth weapon.

Quote by Dr.Tong
i know that plywood is the least desired wood for a guitar (with the exception of plastic and pdf or whatever it is) but how bad is it exactly?
obviously its useable but it is as bad as everybody says it is?

i know a guy who tinkers with guitars and hes said that some of the most resonant guitars he's ever played were made of plywood.

honestly, i dont think the wood affects the tone as much on electrics as people seem to think.
Quote by deluthe
A friend has a very nice older Cort Strat with a plywood body and it sounds quite good. It has a real nice neck. Some Danelectro bodies are still made from Masonite. Again the low cost body is attached to a great neck. You've got to check this out if you haven't seen it yet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SohWrnzYqAk&feature=player_embedded#

Awesome. Plywood through Line 6 spider 3? All the snobs on UG are crying right now