I have a Nashville Tele (MIM). I love it, but I feel some slight tweaking will make it even better for what I do. So here's a list of a few questions:

1. I'm looking for a low-mid pickup in the neck position. I like that "scooped" mid sound in the neck because then overtones don't ruin anything (I play a lot with delay and effects, and low mids keep things sounding nice and clear). My question is: How much will this clash with the other 2 tex mex pickups? Specifically the neck / middle position?

2. New bridge. What new bridge do you guys think will fit this guitar well? I NEED one, as in mine is missing some pieces and isn't holding up very well. What would you guys recommend?

3. New neck? I made the mistake of playing the John Mayer Strat at G.C. the other day and fell in love with the neck. Is there a Tele neck with similar specs? If not it's okay, I just liked how small his neck was.

Lots of questions. Thanks alot guys for any help you can provide!
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
1. PUs are pretty inexpensive, specially if you buy used, from eBay. Experimenting with different PU combinations is always fun and can take a long time. Only you can determine what sounds good with the effects you have.

2. I'm not sure about the spring-spacing of your bridge; however, you can go the budget route (Guitar Fetish), go with a used Fender from eBay, or go high-end with Callaham. Find the dimensions from the Fender support pages.

3. What's your budget? If you have decent scratch, check out Musikraft, they'll customize to your neck specs for less than what Warmoth would charge you.

Awesome man, thanks a ton!
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Q1 Answer

There are a couple versions of the nashville tele. If you have the one with a strat style neck pickup then you should look into getting a 50's style strat pickup for it. These are wound with formvar wire which is what gives you that classic "scoop" that many strat players are after now days. In the mid 60's strats started using different types of wire (1st PE and later poly) and these types of wire don't give you the same scooped mids and instead give you the famous "midrange quack" that Hendrix was famous for. So long story short, if you want scooped mids you need something with formvar wire. I recommend my rock monkey 59, 62, or 64 smooth groove pickups, depending on how scooped you want the mids.

If your tele has a tele style neck then that makes the scooped midrange thing a bit harder to accomplish. The small bobbin on the tele neck means most of the tele neck pickups are wound with 43awg wire which compresses the bass up into the midrange which means no scooped mids for you! Try taking the cover off your current pickups and see if that helps open it up enough for you. If it doesn't then try and find a low output tele neck pickup from a reputable or boutique company, not a bargain company, that is wound to something under 6K and uses alnico magnets. The lower output will mean they probably uses 42awg wire which is much better for scooping your midrange. You will still probably want to remove the pickup cover too.

Q2 Stay away from the budget Asian based companies. Many of them sell bridges with metric measurements and the American pickups will not fit through them without milling the hole bigger. The "designer" asian companies like gotoh are still good and wilkinson is making most of his stuff in china now too but it's also still good. You basically need to decide which style tele bridge you want, vintage 3 saddle or modern 6 saddle, and then fined a bridge that is imperial measurements. Cheap tele bridges tend to do the job just as well as expensive ones but the expensive ones do tend to look much nicer. You just have to shop around and see what catches your eye that is within your price range.

Q3 The JM neck is a custom design for his sig guitar. Getting another neck just like that is going to be quite expensive no matter who you go to and chances are it'll cost you more than the guitar. I'd suggest looking on ebay for an affordable standard tele neck and then try reshaping it yourself. That way, if you screw up it's not going to be a huge loss and if it works then you have the neck you want. Perhaps you could even take measurements of the JM strat's neck shape at the 12th, 7th, 5th, and 3rd frets and then make templates to help guide the carving of your own neck.