How would the RR5 compare quality-wise with the Carvins? And the only way I'd get a Carvin V220 is if I can find a hardtail edition, which would have to be one from the 80's since by the looks of it there are no current V220's without a tremolo bar.

Which leaves me with another question... if I do decide to go with a Carvin, would getting the 80's version of the V220 be of noticeably less quality than a current-day Ultra V? The Ultra V has everything I want, but I just like the look of the V220 more so that is the only reason I am contemplating this XD

Or should I just roll with an RR5? Are Carvins even sold in Guitar Centers or any other big music stores so I could try one out?

Thanks guise.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 23, 2010,
Carvin's aren't sold in any stores other than Carvin boutiques. That's what helps keeps there prices down, no middle man. The quality of the Carvins would probably be better than the Jackson (and you get much more options in terms of wood, colour, and hardware.) You can definitely get both the Ultra V and the V220 with hardtails. In fact, the both come standard with hardtails.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=v220
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=ultrav
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Oh sweet. Haha how did I not see that before?

So... I customized the V220 the way I'd like it, and with shipping and tax it ended up being $1458 which is quite a bit more than I am wanting to pay haha. I bet it is a totally nice guitar though, it really looks like it would be, but I dunno if I can justify paying that much right now =/

I'm a bit confused though because it says sale price is $799 and I figured I could buy a standard V220 for that much, but it seems like my only choice is to build custom shop?
The base price is that much. That gets you the alder body, maple neck, ebony board, standard inlays, standard pickups, solid colours, etc.

The base price doesn't include the cost of shipping and the cost of the hardcase (which you have to buy.)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Ah, I see. Is there any way I can see what my guitar will look like before I decide to have this built? I don't wanna accidentally be disappointed when I realize something is different than I imagined.

Thanks.

-edit: Oh and base price doesn't include the cost of tax either =/
Quote by fixationdarknes
Ah, I see. Is there any way I can see what my guitar will look like before I decide to have this built? I don't wanna accidentally be disappointed when I realize something is different than I imagined.

Thanks.

-edit: Oh and base price doesn't include the cost of tax either =/

Some of the guys on Carvin have a portion of the Carvin forum where you can ask if people will actually photoshop your guitar for you.

And if you don't want to make one custom, you could always wait for the Guitar In-Stock section to stock a V220 or Ultra V to your spec. Usually those are cheaper.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Alright cool, thanks a lot for your info; that is very helpful

I am still considering the RR5 though as it just seems like a lot less hassle to get for a cheaper price and what not despite the not as good quality, and plus I still think it looks pretty sweet
Not a problem, glad to help.

And understandable, although depending on where you are in California, you may be able to go to one of the few Carvin stores and try a bunch out, as well as see whether or not they have your kind of guitar there.

Well, if it's that close for you, then I'd definitely recommend taking the Carvin route; with that kind of placement, you can just visit weekly until they get a good guitar in!