Well in december or so I will be auditioning for a music school for the following year, and i need a good audition song to impress the judges. last year i auditioned (for jazz band) and I used sir duke by stevie wonder, which went well, i just completely bombed the sight reading. so this year, now that my sight reading is at a pretty good level, I'm hoping to try again, and am looking for a good song. They generally dont like modern music, so anything nice and old would be good, preferably something laid back like a R&B song or something along those lines.

any help would be appreciated!
I've heard them both and love them, but is there anything with a more "out there" bass line? something that'll really stand out, yknow?
anesteshia pulling teeth, that will knock their socks off, or try doing a classical peice of music but put into a bass format
The Chicken. Band directors are in love with that song. And Teen Town

Oh, this is for a music school? Your not majoring in music are you? Unless your going to CalArts, majoring in electric bass at a college is a waste of time and money. Dont do it bro. I know that its, "Where your heart and passion is," etc etc, but the truth is, there are virtually no worth while electric bass programs at schools anywhere. Your better off saving your money and just taking lessons with the schools teacher on your own accord (it will be mountains cheaper).
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jul 23, 2010,
Some sort of bach cello suite or a jazz standard.

jk you're playing electric.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
So What by Miles Davis, Solo over the form as well. if you only get one song though. Maybe have a listen through the Kinda Blues record or anything Charlie Parker, get a copy of the music learn the melody take it through the progression three times, once playing melody, once with a bassline if its walking bass have a think through it and get a really cool line, if its latin try and get a song that accents 4 or anticipates one.

actually, if you can get your hands on any songs from the book 'Funkifying the Clave' that would go down well, modern takes on common Latin Jazz clave rhythms.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
guys, this is for a high school program, kinda like a magnet school. also ive tried learning tean town and...simply put..i cant. XD
Take 5- dave brubeck.
The head in straight, no chaser-theolonius monk and then do a bit of simple walking.

Pushing the boundaries and showing of
spain-chick corea
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Take 5- dave brubeck.
The head in straight, no chaser-theolonius monk and then do a bit of simple walking.

Pushing the boundaries and showing of
spain-chick corea

haha, I'm doing spain for my uni audition.

Once you nail the changes the only thing about it is the head. Timing for that is whack.

I'd recommend Take Five, though playing that song the 5/4 is accented a 3-2 rhythm (i.e. ONE two three FOUR five ONE two three FOUR five etc. etc) so when taking a solo think 3/4 rhythm followed by a 2/4 rhythm, the fact that it's in an odd signature is impressive in itself. also for soloing most of it is modal so you can stick to one scale with a couple two five's into another scale for pretty much the whole song. also in the melody, every held note is for three beats I believe. at least the main motiff is.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by theunforgivn
anesteshia pulling teeth, that will knock their socks off

I seriously doubt it. I do like the bass solo but compared to other things like Wooten and Jaco he could find something more impressive.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
More love-Victor wooten i s brilliant piece to play. I love it and am using it as a leaving cert piece for my music course.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by P-funkfan
guys, this is for a high school program, kinda like a magnet school. also ive tried learning tean town and...simply put..i cant. XD

The chicken...do it

Seriously, highschool band directors think Jaco was, is, and will always be the best thing that ever happened to bass.