Hi, im looking for a new amp to start giging with. The only thing i care about is power (needs to be able to get me through shows) and i want the best cleans i can get. It does not HAVE to be ss but i'd prefer it because of costs...any suggestions?
What's your budget? A Jazz Chorus is pretty much the standard for SS cleans. You can get a used SF Bassman for nice prices too though that sound much better IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Expect them to be sterile.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
$400-$600

EDIT- well im 17 and have a job and no bills, so my budget is pretty much how patient i can be.
Last edited by SmartyJones at Jul 23, 2010,
I kinda like the sound from a Fender Deluxe 112+...and they're at the lower end of your price range. I used one at a jazz concert once and was told "you need to buy that amp."

Though at your price point you can probably get a plain ol' Deluxe. They sound pretty darn good clean too.
+1 to Matt's JC 120 rec.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If you want an amp now, then a used Jazz Chorus will hold up. If you can wait a bit, an old Bassman 50 and a good 2X12 would be awesome for cleans at pretty much any volume.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
buy a fender deluxe, its got rubes and great reverb, the jc-120 is alright but rather sterile which is why alot of ska applications use it. its got such a simple dry clean sound that its perfect for the fast percussive guitar
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Expect them to be sterile.

Stupid post is stupid. Solid state amps can sound amazingly thick and lush, it just depends on the amp. My ACC 140 has some wonderfully thick and warm sounding cleans.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
u can get a Fender hot rod deluxe if u increase ur budget a bit. A peavey classic 30 is nice aswell.

or if u dont mind hybrid modelling amps, a Vox VT50/100 has great cleans.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Roland JC120

/thread
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by SmartyJones
Hi, im looking for a new amp to start giging with. The only thing i care about is power (needs to be able to get me through shows) and i want the best cleans i can get. It does not HAVE to be ss but i'd prefer it because of costs...any suggestions?

Your gonna want this.

The vox ac-15 custom

2 channels
15W into 16 ohms
12" Celestion G12M Greenback
Normal input
Top Boost input
Classic tremolo effect
Spring reverb
3 - 12AX7 preamp tubes 2 EL84s power tube

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Custom-AC15C1-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423619
Quote by Funk Monk
Your gonna want this.

The vox ac-15 custom

2 channels
15W into 16 ohms
12" Celestion G12M Greenback
Normal input
Top Boost input
Classic tremolo effect
Spring reverb
3 - 12AX7 preamp tubes 2 EL84s power tube

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Custom-AC15C1-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423619

He wants the best cleans at gigging levels. An AC15 isn't exactly the cleanest amp at drummer levels.
All he wants is nice cleans at gigging volumes and prefers SS. That IS a JC120. It's not close, it is THE correct amp for those specifications bar none.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey Stereo Chorus - runs the JC120 close but will cost about half as much on the used market.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SmartyJones

That's not the right way to approach solid state amps, and is the reason solid states have a bad reputation - you want quality from a solid state, nowadays you're gonna have to pay for it, moreso than you would for a tube amp - so a decent quality solid state is gonna cost considerably more than a decent quality tube amp.

That being said, if you know where to look you can pick up a good '70s solid state amp with great cleans for next to nothing - If you can find an old peavey musician i'd highly recommend it for the cleans. The reason for this is, people are snobby about solid states so they throw out these old amps as "junk", and its a godsend for those of us who actually want some good solid state tones
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
ZT lunchbox.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Cathbard
He wants the best cleans at gigging levels. An AC15 isn't exactly the cleanest amp at drummer levels.
All he wants is nice cleans at gigging volumes and prefers SS. That IS a JC120. It's not close, it is THE correct amp for those specifications bar none.

My mistake. SO let me understand, the vox doesn't have good cleans at the gigging level? Is that because it is overdriven when it reaches that level?
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Stupid post is stupid. Solid state amps can sound amazingly thick and lush, it just depends on the amp. My ACC 140 has some wonderfully thick and warm sounding cleans.

agreed, my 120 watt crate flexwave has amazing cleans =)

my father's friend has a fender deluxe 900, it's actually got a pretty good clean, a nice sounding overdrive, and a few effects
Honestly, it does sound nice
Quote by Darkflame
agreed, my 120 watt crate flexwave has amazing cleans =)

my father's friend has a fender deluxe 900, it's actually got a pretty good clean, a nice sounding overdrive, and a few effects
Honestly, it does sound nice

oh yeah, those fender deluxe 900/1600 etc are some of my favourite modern solid states - the "timbre" option makes them quite nicely adjustable whilst still maintaining an honest transistor tone. The cleans are very very clean. From my experience of them though, they aren't too reliable. Or perhaps the ones at my old college weren't reliable because school leavers are still stuck in the "im 2 kool 4 skool" mentality at first and think they are cool if they trash the college gear.. bastards.

I think the roland jazz chorus is somewhat overrated though it is a very nice clean amp - understandably if you want a transparent amp which will let you just hear the nuances of your guitar there's probably no better choices, but come on, it's not the only good solid state you can get I swear UG has a bit of a JC-120 bandwagon simply because it's a solid state that's not cheap but it's not ridiculously expensive either
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
I think the roland jazz chorus is somewhat overrated though it is a very nice clean amp - understandably if you want a transparent amp which will let you just hear the nuances of your guitar there's probably no better choices, but come on, it's not the only good solid state you can get I swear UG has a bit of a JC-120 bandwagon simply because it's a solid state that's not cheap but it's not ridiculously expensive either

Oh please, not the "bandwagonning" bandwagon again. Maybe there are other SS amps you think are good but personally, the JC is the only SS amp I'd ever even contemplate owning. Bandwagonning my arse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Oh please, not the "bandwagonning" bandwagon again. Maybe there are other SS amps you think are good but personally, the JC is the only SS amp I'd ever even contemplate owning. Bandwagonning my arse.

don't take it personally.. just because you recommended the JC, doesn't mean i was talking about you. deja vu - i think i've had this exact discussion with you before.

[asshat response]I think you're on the bandwagonning bandwagon bandwagon. this could go on for weeks...[/asshat response] although i do think maybe if i'd left out that last bit of my post you'd have probably made no comment. i just gave you some ammo?

Though really, just because it's the only one you'd ever contemplate owning doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same way... but then, you're hardly gonna recommend something you hate, i suppose

well the 900 seems unreliable also, my dad's friend has to get it repaired because there's a diode in there that broke apparently lol
i like it though =)
honestly, the crate flexwave series is just soo unreliable, but it has a great tone, I love mine, I bought the halfstack version a few years ago and I have never regretted it, even though I had to send it back 3 times, and the one I currently have is broken also lol