Well, I've been playing guitar for 1 year now. I just recently started to practice alternate picking, I'd been just using down strokes.

Currently how I hold the pick is like this, Hold pick with thumb and index finger, and curl the rest of my fingers up (close the rest of my hand)

I noticed though that none of my favourite shredders pick like this, they are usually anchoring the rest of their fingers at the bottom of the guitar.

I don't find it comfortable to pick like they do, but is it something I should start doing, to make it a habbit? Help would be very nice
Last edited by L0lDJ at Jul 23, 2010,
Do not anchor. How you hold your pick is a personal preference thing, but anchoring is generally a bad thing. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
I think anchoring your fingers is something you should only do if it's comfortable, it isn't always comfortable for me, especially if I am playing faster picking stuff. If you are playing slow, then maybe you should try to anchor them.

But otherwise think your fine.
Quote by i_don't_know
Do not anchor. How you hold your pick is a personal preference thing, but anchoring is generally a bad thing. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Anchoring isn't bad, nor good. Tons of great guitarists do it, it's a personal preference. Rusty Cooley does it, Jeff Loomis, also. I personally do it for almost everything, but then again, I play metalcore.

TS, anchor if you feel it helps, don't if it doesn't. However, I suggest you open your hand up, I feel like I have more control over the pick with an open hand.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Anchoring is bad....it causes unnecessary tension which will harm your technique in the long term. Don't do it. Period. End of discussion.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Anchoring isn't bad, nor good. Tons of great guitarists do it, it's a personal preference.

Almost every "great" guitarist doesn't actually, and the VERY best ones surely do not. And those who do are doing it lightly enough that it isn't a huge factor in their playing. There are other factors in one's playing than simply anchoring or not anchoring.

Quote by TheBigProjekt

Rusty Cooley does it

No he doesn't.

Quote by TheBigProjekt

Jeff Loomis, also.

He kinda does, but again, anchoring isn't the only factor in one's playing, but if you have any grasp of biomechanics in general you'd realize that pressing down on something generates a force, and force = tension. Whether or not your favorite guitar hero does it, there is no way he is defying the laws of physics.

Quote by TheBigProjekt
I personally do it for almost everything, but then again, I play metalcore.

lol

Quote by TheBigProjekt

TS, anchor if you feel it helps, don't if it doesn't.

That is the mentality most people have, and not by coincidence, most people suck at guitar (excuse the bluntness, but it's true).
Whatever way you hold it, just don't hold it like Marty Friedman
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Last edited by simpleben09 at Jul 25, 2010,
There are a two important things to consider about your pick grip:

1. You need to hold the pick tight enough so that it won't fall out of your hand when you play (duh).
2. You need to make sure you're not holding the pick so tight that it locks up the muscles in your hand and arm. This one is a lot harder to master than the first one.

As far as keeping the rest of your picking hand fingers extended vs. keeping them inside your palm, either one can work well provided you're not keeping those fingers rigid in either scenario. Also note that just because a guitar player keeps his/her non pick holding fingers extended, that doesn't mean that they are necessarily "anchored" to the guitar. Most of the time those fingers are merely brushing against the guitar in order to keep a reference point for the rest of the picking hand.

For a shredder who keeps his fingers under his hand check out Frank Gambale... tons of vids on YouTube.

Also, check out lessons 3 and 4 at www.whyisuckatguitar.com for more on getting comfortable with the pick.
Quote by kian89
what is this ??

It's Marty Friedman. Megadeth or Cacophony ring a bell? Anywho, he had this retarded right hand technique, where he curved his wrist at a major angle
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
It's Marty Friedman. Megadeth or Cacophony ring a bell? Anywho, he had this retarded right hand technique, where he curved his wrist at a major angle

All we can see is some site logo,so it hardly rings any bells.You probably can see the picture 'coz it's in your cache.

Last edited by B86 at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by simpleben09

yay Marty Friedman .lol it was some pic the other time .