I was wondering if sometimes its necessary to play with fast continuous down strokes or if your always supposed to use alternate picking. Usingthe song Middle by Jimmy Eat World for example. Is he picking down really fast or alternate picking?

I hope this made sense, thanks for the help
Well, just listening to the song I'd say that the intro and verse are all down strokes. The key is to relax your whole arm and breath. Just keep working it at it and going until you feel like you might die, then go a little bit further. In a few months you'll be playing this song like a champ, if you practice.

Some things are played with all down strokes, some things in all alternate picking, some with mixtures of different picking styles. There are no rules that say you must play one way the whole time, and it's definitely good to be versatile. Good luck! Hope I helped you out a bit.
yes it is sometimes necessary, however if you can get a good palm muted chug outta alternate picking, then by all means use that. I personally cant get very good chugs outta my upstrokes all the time. But it will be helpfull to learn to downpicking only fast. Especially when u get to string skipping riffs, its easier if your already going down on the bottom string to jump to the higher string, if ya know what i mean
Thanks that helped a lot..I just needed a second opinion. I mix it up a lot, but in the back of my mind I thought that I was always suppose to use alternate picking.
Quote by Deadnthehead
Thanks that helped a lot..I just needed a second opinion. I mix it up a lot, but in the back of my mind I thought that I was always suppose to use alternate picking.

hmm alternative picking would be more efficient but some people just prefer the tone they get from downstrokes..work on your alternative picking it will just make you a better picker for downstrokes,galloping and tremolo stuff
the muscles in your hands get stronger with practice and time so just give it your best shot and work with your metronome ect lol BTW i haven't listened to the clip