hey everyone. after two years with my squier ive decided its finally time to get a new guitar. problem is, i dont know what to get, so i need your guy's help.

i play lots of classic rock, like led zeppelin, allman brothers, and cream; but i also love heavy metal like ozzy and metallica. so i want a guitar that is good for both....basically something with hot pickups good for soloing, but at the same time that doesnt sound digital.

im not too picky but here are some of the things i like:

i prefer set necks, but if you suggest something good with a bolt on ill consider

i really want something with a mahogany body because i like that dark mellow sound; but again if you suggest something else ill consider anything

i also like cool inlays, like sharktooth, trapezoid, block, anything, but i dont like the look of dot inlays too much(but its not a huge deal).

ebony board would be nice too...but im alright with rosewood...mayb even maple.

other than that, my only actual requirements are that it has two humbuckers, and a comfortable neck. i know necks are different for everyone but i like fast necks, i dont like the beefy les paul necks that are glossy and slow you down. i also dont like wide necks like in an sg.

thanks everyone!
save up like 13 hundred bucks and buy a road worn strat... I played one, and my god.. it was beautiful
check out some of the schecter hellraiser guitars. esp/ltd, jackson and ibanez also make guitars that fall into your specs. Pretty much any guitar from these brands is high quality so theyd all make a great choice.
Quote by FIamingo
save up like 13 hundred bucks and buy a road worn strat... I played one, and my god.. it was beautiful

please stop being useless.....
oh and i forgot to mention my price range is 600-800 roughly, and i dont mind buying used.
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1891.html

EDIT: and its also a hundred below your price range
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
Last edited by limegut at Jul 24, 2010,
higher end epiphones are really nice, and most surpass the lower end gibsons. the pickups are usually the weak point, but they aren't bad. Very good choice for your first 'real' guitar.

the ESP LTD line is nice, although there are only a few models you can buy with decent passive pickups and for some reason the active/passive option often depends on finish colors. If you're into classic rock, you'll probably want passives. I'm not an active fan, but thats all personal preference.

Schecter has a lot of really nice features for the price, but i never liked the feel of their guitars. Again, personal preferance. and again, a lot of active pickups without decent passive options.

Jackson makes some really awesome guitars, though they are bolt ons unless you get into the upper end of them, but dont let that sway you. their shapes are somewhat extreme for classic rock but you can get a nice guitar with a Duncan Jazz/JB pickup set, which i personally think is probably the most versatile pickup combination.

you dont really state what your price range is, but i say go for a nice epiphone if you're into classic rock

EDIT: you posted your price range while i was writing this, but i stand buy my vote for epiphone. or possibly Agile, but i've never actually played one so i cant fully recommend it, but ive heard nothing but good things
Last edited by DeanRedneck at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by limegut
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1891.html

EDIT: and its also a hundred below your price range

Im about to buy my first agile, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I wouldnt recommend the EMGs for someone playing classic rock, though, I REALLY hate that the only option for decent pickups in most mid range guitars are EMGs. every company is doing this now. I guess that its because they are "teh Br00tlzz!" but there are so many more pickups that are both cheaper and WAY more versatile than EMGs
Ya, I really dont like the sound of EMGs myself, hell, I actually prefer single coils in metal, but so many people to seem to fall in love with them, I just thought it might be a good option for some good light to heavy dist. sounds.
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
Quote by limegut
Ya, I really dont like the sound of EMGs myself, hell, I actually prefer single coils in metal, but so many people to seem to fall in love with them, I just thought it might be a good option for some good light to heavy dist. sounds.

I dont necessarily have a problem with EMGs, a lot of players i like get really awesome tones out of them. hell, Vince Gill uses EMGs for country (single coils) I just really hate that your only choices for guitars in this price range are generic import pickups or EMGs. Jackson is about the only company that offers decent pickups in mid range guitars. LTD has some, but you have to get the sunburst finish option to get them, otherwise you get EMGs. Schecter makes a sinister gates signature guitar that has invaders in it (my 2nd favorite pickups). but then you have to look like you actually like avenged sevenfold, which is a far worse shame than bad tone
where you located at?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by DeanRedneck
higher end epiphones are really nice, and most surpass the lower end gibsons. the pickups are usually the weak point, but they aren't bad. Very good choice for your first 'real' guitar.

the ESP LTD line is nice, although there are only a few models you can buy with decent passive pickups and for some reason the active/passive option often depends on finish colors. If you're into classic rock, you'll probably want passives. I'm not an active fan, but thats all personal preference.

Schecter has a lot of really nice features for the price, but i never liked the feel of their guitars. Again, personal preferance. and again, a lot of active pickups without decent passive options.

Jackson makes some really awesome guitars, though they are bolt ons unless you get into the upper end of them, but dont let that sway you. their shapes are somewhat extreme for classic rock but you can get a nice guitar with a Duncan Jazz/JB pickup set, which i personally think is probably the most versatile pickup combination.

you dont really state what your price range is, but i say go for a nice epiphone if you're into classic rock

EDIT: you posted your price range while i was writing this, but i stand buy my vote for epiphone. or possibly Agile, but i've never actually played one so i cant fully recommend it, but ive heard nothing but good things

thanks for the advice man. ill take a look at jacksons, the jazz/jb sound good; i just prefer a mahogany body. ill also take a look at the shecters. i dont love epiphones, but some models with a pickup change would be alright.
oh and yea your right i dont like active pickups like emgs
any more imput guys?

are the jacksons too bright?
and how are deans?

oh and i play on a marshall mg10cd and a marshall lead 20, but i might get a new amp or pedals, so fell free to recommend some too
Quote by davem27
any more imput guys?

and how are deans?

oh and i play on a marshall mg10cd and a marshall lead 20, but i might get a new amp or pedals, so fell free to recommend some too

I dont think jacksons are too bright. Brighter than a les paul, but no so bright that you cant adjust your eq to compensate.

I like dean guitars , but my only in depth experience with them is my vintage USA baby ML. I have played the imports in stores and they play nice. I think that you can get Dean USA pickups in some of the imports, but i might be wrong on that. the Dimebag models have a Dimebucker in the bridge, which is a fairly bright pickup and (to my ears) not well suited to mild to moderate distortion. for a while the import QC was somewhat iffy, but everything ive heard lately is good.

A lot of music stores will install new pickups for for free if you buy them and the guitar at the same time, so thats something to think about as well.
Also if you keep your eyes peeled on ebay you can find guitars that have already been upgraded, although people often think that you should pay them the full price of the uprades.
Quote by DeanRedneck
I dont think jacksons are too bright. Brighter than a les paul, but no so bright that you cant adjust your eq to compensate.

I like dean guitars , but my only in depth experience with them is my vintage USA baby ML. I have played the imports in stores and they play nice. I think that you can get Dean USA pickups in some of the imports, but i might be wrong on that. the Dimebag models have a Dimebucker in the bridge, which is a fairly bright pickup and (to my ears) not well suited to mild to moderate distortion. for a while the import QC was somewhat iffy, but everything ive heard lately is good.

A lot of music stores will install new pickups for for free if you buy them and the guitar at the same time, so thats something to think about as well.
Also if you keep your eyes peeled on ebay you can find guitars that have already been upgraded, although people often think that you should pay them the full price of the uprades.

cool man, thanks again
PRS SE Custom 25th Anniversary Models. Two HB's, Tremolo, 24 Frets...as for the neck they say Wide Thin, but to me, every PRS neck has its own character.
go to a guitar center play every thing thay have look at the wood neck pickup configuration the then hit the pawn shops look for particular features you want then put it together. or find a good sale on epiphone les paul studio then change then adjust everything till you get what you want.
do not get a rg ibenez thew tremolo will drive you crazy cheep do not stay in tune and a general pain in the behind. if you get a ibenez get the pristeage the price is to high for what thay are. lp studio a couple mods can out play everything.
I love to take a cheep giutar and make the right adjustments then see the guitarist face as he tryes to figure out how I was able to get the guitar to play the way it does. techs ask me how did you get the action so low without it buzzing. learn the guitar and it will tell you if it is right or not. everything makes a difference. do it your self I have found alot of so called techs do not have a clue about the guitar.
Quote by davem27
any more imput guys?

and how are deans?

Jacksons are fairly bright, but if they're any still as good as their 80s stuff I'd say they're the best out there for metal, but for classic rock I'm not too sure. I love Deans but they get a lot of hate for the Razorbacks, which are supposed to be crap, but my MLX has served me well for everything from Boston to Led Zeppelin to Pantera, and now I'm saving up to mod it into a EVH-style FrankenDean. =P Their ''79 series are mahogany and set-neck too, so if you don't mind a V, ML or Explorer-type, you might have a match there. And...you might wanna get rid of that MG. Hate to be the one, but they...suck. XD No experience with the Lead 20, but Eddie Van Halen used a Super Lead IIRC, so I'd say that's fine
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
Jacksons are fairly bright, but if they're any still as good as their 80s stuff I'd say they're the best out there for metal, but for classic rock I'm not too sure. I love Deans but they get a lot of hate for the Razorbacks, which are supposed to be crap, but my MLX has served me well for everything from Boston to Led Zeppelin to Pantera, and now I'm saving up to mod it into a EVH-style FrankenDean. =P Their ''79 series are mahogany and set-neck too, so if you don't mind a V, ML or Explorer-type, you might have a match there. And...you might wanna get rid of that MG. Hate to be the one, but they...suck. XD No experience with the Lead 20, but Eddie Van Halen used a Super Lead IIRC, so I'd say that's fine

thanks for the advice man. and yea i know the mgs kinda suck, the lead 20 is a ss that kinda sounds tube, but i doesnt have enough distortion so im thinking either to buy a pedal or sell both and buy a new amp