I know it sounds stupid but I do have a question about playing power chords. When playing them is it necessary to use your pinky to fret the third note of the chord? I
have seen many people play them both ways so I really don't know which is correct. If your ring finger can fret both the second and third note, then why use the pinky? Thanks.
The standard powerchord shape can be seen as a simplification of an E (or A, etc.. ) shape barre chord. When playing that chord, the middle finger usually holds the third, and the pinky holds the octave.

But then again, I usually play powerchords with a little barre
Last edited by pcorey at Jul 24, 2010,
That 3rd note is just the root an octave higher (sorry if you already know that) so it depends on if you want that thicker, fuller sound, or if you're fine with just the 2 notes. Or if you're question was"can i barre the 2nd and 3rd note?" then the answer is, "I don't know, can you?" (The question confused me a little, sorry). Its whatever you prefer.
If you prefer to play with your ring finger playing 2 notes, then go ahead and do it.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I just barre my pinky across both. If I don't want that octave note, then I just mute it with my pinky.

I do the same with A major shaped barre chords too, sometimes actually fretting them, depending on context.

(I have kind of small hands, it's different for everyone.)
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Do you mean do you need the 3rd note or what finger should I fret it with?
If it the first, then depends if you want a fuller sound and depends on the song.
If its the second, what ever the best for you. I use my pinky for the 3rd note, but if you want to barr it or use your 3rd finger etc then it fine.
They sound different -- use the one that sounds right.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood your post. Definitely use your pinky.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I say use the pinky, as that's the position you're going to need for a major barr chord.

It's the reason I use it too
Quote by hockeyplayer168
I just barre my pinky across both. If I don't want that octave note, then I just mute it with my pinky.

I do the same with A major shaped barre chords too, sometimes actually fretting them, depending on context.

(I have kind of small hands, it's different for everyone.)

i do the same. some people barre with the ring finger so you could try that OP if the pinky doesnt feel right.
I think whatever feels right, but getting in the habit of using your pinky for that octave note is probably worthwhile as that is better technique. I find it's easier to palm mute when you have the pinky there and easier to switch to bar chords.
I understand your question, I used to just bar my ring finger across both strings but changed because I thought that was wrong. I still see awesome guitarists do it that way so whatever works.
Here is my question: When playing a D chord should you use three fingers or just simply bar the second fret with your index finger (that's what I do but I notice most people use three fingers, one for each note).
Last edited by super_mike at Jul 24, 2010,
I used to play with my pinky too at first, as I couldnt get the stretch right.
I've learned to use my ring finger instead pretty fast though.

In the end, it doesnt matter really how you play things, it's up toy our prefference and what you find comfortable and conductive to making music. However, I can say one thing..

But if it's a choice between the two, I'd say ring finger, as freeing your pinky finger let's you play around with notes higher up or alter the chord easier.

But what is even better is being able to do both.. it means you have the flexibility to use the best technique for the best moment.
Quote by pcorey
When playing that chord, the middle finger usually holds the fifth
Fixed. Power chords are perfect fifth dyads, not major/minor third dyads.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Quote by pcorey
The standard powerchord shape can be seen as a simplification of an E (or A, etc.. ) shape barre chord. When playing that chord, the middle finger usually holds the third, and the pinky holds the octave.

Fixed. Power chords are perfect fifth dyads, not major/minor third dyads.

I was talking about an E major chord. When it comes to reading, like music, context is everything..
if i understand this right.... i started out playing power chords with my index finger on the root (5 or 6 string mainly) and my ring finger on the 3rd and 5th because i didn't "need" my pinky (on a side note why is it telling me i misspelled pinky?) however years later i switch to using my pinky for note clarity when changing chords quickly (the octave note sometimes got muted instead of ringing)