Technically I've used dozens of weird scales when song-writing, but I only learn them for the song and then forget them later. So pretty much the only scales I'm fluent in using and have memorized are the major scale, major pentatonic, and blues/minor pentatonic, and then a few scales I can use pretty wel when song-writing but not very well when improvising are the harmonic minor, melodic minor or jazz minor, whole tone, whole-half diminished, and half-whole diminished.

I used a lot of scales I found on I think jazz-guitar.com, but I never bothered to memorize or really study any of them. So what should I do next?
Well,
when you write a song.
Do you know when to use what scale?
Your ear needs to know how it sounds so when you're playing and improvise a part in your head you'll know, Oh that's the easy, it's pentatonic.
or, That's the harmonic minor!

I've been using phrygian and phrygian dominant. and some dorian stuff.
Lydian is a nice mode too, if you search some Steve Vai stuff I'm sure he has some.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Well,
when you write a song.
Do you know when to use what scale?
Your ear needs to know how it sounds so when you're playing and improvise a part in your head you'll know, Oh that's the easy, it's pentatonic.
or, That's the harmonic minor!

I've been using phrygian and phrygian dominant. and some dorian stuff.
Lydian is a nice mode too, if you search some Steve Vai stuff I'm sure he has some.

yeah i pretty much know what im looking for and when to use any of the scales i listed, but i cant really improvise anything except the major scale and the pentatonic scales.
i guess improvisation doesnt really matter for me tho, im not even the guitarist, im the bassist and lead vocalist for my band, but i write everything for just about every instrument we have (and we're a 6-part band with a few multi-instrumentalists), so i kinda just need to know what scale to learn to use in song-writing more often.
Learn the Major Scale. I dont mean just memorize the shapes. Learn the theory behind it. learn how it's constructed, it's formula WWHWWWH, etc. After u understand the Major scale, it'll be easy for u to understand modes.
Quote by holycow
Learn the Major Scale. I dont mean just memorize the shapes. Learn the theory behind it. learn how it's constructed, it's formula WWHWWWH, etc. After u understand the Major scale, it'll be easy for u to understand modes.

it kinda sounds like you said that because you couldnt think of a better answer, no offense.
i've pretty much learned all the theory abt the major scale and its modes that i can without taking lessons (which i cant afford). ive got hella books abt it, and ive read almost every article on this website abt it, so thats covered
Quote by TMVATDI
it kinda sounds like you said that because you couldnt think of a better answer, no offense.
i've pretty much learned all the theory abt the major scale and its modes that i can without taking lessons (which i cant afford). ive got hella books abt it, and ive read almost every article on this website abt it, so thats covered

So you can harmonize every diatonic chord (with 7ths) out of it, play it in any key anywhere on the fretboard and not just stay in the 3 string box (or for that matter, play it up and down the fretboard diagonally and vertical in one key)?
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by Ascendant
So you can harmonize every diatonic chord (with 7ths) out of it, play it in any key anywhere on the fretboard and not just stay in the 3 string box (or for that matter, play it up and down the fretboard diagonally and vertical in one key)?

yup. well improvising all around the fretboard and strings, im not perfect at it, but im not even the guitarist so improvising isnt much of a problem. i know where all the notes are accross the fretboard and strings.
edit: ill take it a step further, i can harmonize with 9s too