Page 1 of 2
Why? I like Fender Mustangs but for the quality and workmanship you get they are immensely over-priced. The bridge is terrible, you almost need to get a TOM bridge put into the Mustang because of it's tuning issues. This is something that has perplexed me for some time. Any theories?
Cause it ain't as popular as the strat or tele.

Its kinda the ugly sister

But thats cool, cause its a cool guitar.
Quote by GodhandSP
Why? I like Fender Mustangs but for the quality and workmanship you get they are immensely over-priced. The bridge is terrible, you almost need to get a TOM bridge put into the Mustang because of it's tuning issues. This is something that has perplexed me for some time. Any theories?

You answered your own question.

Also they aren't over-priced, you get what you pay for. Just because you can't afford one doesn't mean they're overpriced.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
they are pretty cool and well made, and you DONT need to change the bridge of the mustang, people used to change the bridge of the jaguar for a mustang one.
Kurt Cobain.....I remember in high school everybody wanted a blue mustang with a tortise shell pickguard....and there's still those kinda people out there sadly

Edit:damn I guess someone posted this same thing as I was writing it...sorry lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Jul 24, 2010,
If you're comparing them to other Fenders it cause Kurt Cobain played one, even though it really was a bit of a failure on Fender's part. Thats the only real reason they still make them. If you're comparing them to other brands its cause it says Fender on the headstock.
Quote by Glenn Guitar
Cause it ain't as popular as the strat or tele.

Its kinda the ugly sister

But thats cool, cause its a cool guitar.

Speaking of strat and tele's does anyone else think that the Mustang sounds like a mix between the two? Or I'am I just tone deaf?
Actually the quality and workmanship on the guitar is fair for the price

the reason it's overpriced is the fact that the "student model" design is just not worthy of that quality and workmanship and simply doesn't do it justice. It's the quality and the workmanship you are paying for nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, i think mustangs are cool little guitars and i've been GAS-ing for one for a long time, but really it's just not enough of a solid design to justify the price tag - until i find one going cheap i'm just not going to buy one, as at the very most i'm only willing to pay half of what they cost brand new.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The worst thing is people associate the mustang with Cobain cause by the time he started playing them the band was highly visable and were featured on MTV and in more mags....He toured inutero with it but he used a Jaguar to record it...and in my opinion his Jaguar had a way bigger sound....too bad he destroyed it

The CIJ ones arent expensive (£600), and you get what you pay for with CIJ.

There are no issues with tuning, all the hardware is very good quality, the craftmanship is top notch, the neck is really nice, just the pickups are weak.

So yeah, do some research plz.
I bought one of the cyclones they made...don't know if they still make them or not but it had a strat bridge and stayed in tune easier than the 66 mustang I had....it was more appealing than the jagstang

another guitar that I wish I still had...kids NEVER let a buyer take a guitar until the full payement is received....even if its family...

Quote by rdobson2
The worst thing is people associate the mustang with Cobain cause by the time he started playing them the band was highly visable and were featured on MTV and in more mags....He toured inutero with it but he used a Jaguar to record it...and in my opinion his Jaguar had a way bigger sound....too bad he destroyed it

Well... technically he toured with both his Mustangs, Strats, and Jags.

Really, Squier should reissue a Mustang. I'd buy that. I have no idea why the decided to make a CV Duo-sonic. It's like a Mustang, but stupider. Just do the Mustang! They'd make a killing off the Nirvana fanboys (including me ).
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by ComradSputnik
because Kurt Cobain played one

Pretty much this. It's also the reason every piece of sh*t pawnshop guitar got it's price jacked up. Well, him and Jack White.

It's kind of funny (or sad) when you consider that these guitars got expensive from the exposure Kurt gave playing them when the only reason he was playing them in the first place was because they were the cheapest guitars he could find.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Even the student fenders from back in the day were better quality than MIM fenders by todays standards^

The jaguar was not a student guitar, it was the upgrade from the stratocaster, it was more expensive, but never got as popular as the strat/tele, never became as saught after, and sells alot cheaper on the vintage guitar market.

They were deffinately not the cheapest gutiars he could find, especially considering Kurt was pretty loaded after Nevermind. Which was where the majority of Nirvanas fame happened, and the fanbase for Jags/Mustangs/Jagstangs and whatever else he battered, he tried out some Gibsons along the way and said he prefered his old Fenders.

The airline reissue gutiar isnt even made by the same company (Airline), its made by eastwood, not some no name japanese pawn shop brand, and is better qualtiy.

Same story with the Brian May guitars, he's said that the remakes of the guitar sounds alot and plays alot better than the one he built.

Just some knowledge to share.
honestly if your gonna spend 1000 bucks on a shitty MIM student guitar just save up another 1000 and buy a vintage one.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Wat are you on about, the reissue mustangs/jagmasters were CIJ/MIA...

And yeah, lets all just pull another grand out of our asses and buy vintage.
Quote by Skagasm
honestly if your gonna spend 1000 bucks on a shitty MIM student guitar just save up another 1000 and buy a vintage one.

Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Mustangs, Musicmasters, Broncos, and all other vintage "student" guitars fender made are actually pretty cheap for vintage instruments. So long as you're not after an immaculately kept instrument (ie you want one that hasn't spent it's life on in a case or on a shelf), you can get them for under $1,500. You can spend less than $700 and get a MIJ/CIJ Mustang, which is a more budget friendly route and one I suggest. I got my Jaguar for less than $700, it's Japanese, and when compared to the $2,500+ price tag on vintage Jaguars, I'm pretty happy with mine. I don't know where you heard the mustang bridge was bad; in fact, out of the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Mustang, most guys replace their bridges with a Mustang bridge since it's cheap and does a pretty damn good job. And if strings keep popping out, use bigger strings! They're 24in scale neck guitars, so of course the strings you use on your Strat or Les Paul is gonna be floppy. I like 10s on standard Fenders but use 12s on my Jaguar.

The reason guys like Kurt Cobain, J. Mascis, Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore, Kevin Shields, etc. got Jaguars, Jazzmasters and Mustangs was that back in the 80s when those guys were starting out they could get them for around $200 bucks (pretty sure J. Mascis or Lee Ranaldo say this in their video interviews with Fender.com) since all those guitars were huge flops for Fender and no one really wanted them. I'm not sure if this was an influencing factor, but Stevie Ray Vaughn was huge in the 80s and vintage strat prices skyrocketed, even cheaper strats increased in price while the short scale and more niche - oriented fenders dropped drastically in price. Once the aforementioned artists got popular vintage prices skyrocketed for those guitars. However, a lot of those bands developed their sound and playing style around those guitars, so that's one of the biggest reasons they still use them. Seriously, could you imagine Sonic Youth without behind the bridge harmonics or My Bloody Valentine without gratuitous tremolo bar dives?
I didn't think the mustang bridge was bad at all....the jaguar is the one with the horrible bridge....I could never keep the strings in the saddles and even after I installed 2 dimarzio humbuckers the tone was thin and bland,nothing like the tone of the strats I was used to... so I just got rid of it....

Quote by rdobson2
I didn't think the mustang bridge was bad at all....the jaguar is the one with the horrible bridge....I could never keep the strings in the saddles and even after I installed 2 dimarzio humbuckers the tone was thin and bland,nothing like the tone of the strats I was used to... so I just got rid of it....

Yeah Kurt thought the same thing, he had his tech replace all the bridges on his Jags with tune-o-matics.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Mustangs, Musicmasters, Broncos, and all other vintage "student" guitars fender made are actually pretty cheap for vintage instruments. So long as you're not after an immaculately kept instrument (ie you want one that hasn't spent it's life on in a case or on a shelf), you can get them for under $1,500. You can spend less than $700 and get a MIJ/CIJ Mustang, which is a more budget friendly route and one I suggest. I got my Jaguar for less than $700, it's Japanese, and when compared to the $2,500+ price tag on vintage Jaguars, I'm pretty happy with mine. I don't know where you heard the mustang bridge was bad; in fact, out of the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Mustang, most guys replace their bridges with a Mustang bridge since it's cheap and does a pretty damn good job. And if strings keep popping out, use bigger strings! They're 24in scale neck guitars, so of course the strings you use on your Strat or Les Paul is gonna be floppy. I like 10s on standard Fenders but use 12s on my Jaguar.

The reason guys like Kurt Cobain, J. Mascis, Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore, Kevin Shields, etc. got Jaguars, Jazzmasters and Mustangs was that back in the 80s when those guys were starting out they could get them for around $200 bucks (pretty sure J. Mascis or Lee Ranaldo say this in their video interviews with Fender.com) since all those guitars were huge flops for Fender and no one really wanted them. I'm not sure if this was an influencing factor, but Stevie Ray Vaughn was huge in the 80s and vintage strat prices skyrocketed, even cheaper strats increased in price while the short scale and more niche - oriented fenders dropped drastically in price. Once the aforementioned artists got popular vintage prices skyrocketed for those guitars. However, a lot of those bands developed their sound and playing style around those guitars, so that's one of the biggest reasons they still use them. Seriously, could you imagine Sonic Youth without behind the bridge harmonics or My Bloody Valentine without gratuitous tremolo bar dives?

tha jazzmaster and jaguar were not huge flops......ever hear of surf music
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by Skagasm
sure is a reason to facepalm

http://www.gbase.com//gear/fender-mustang-1966-red-lacquer

****ing idiot......

I'm not a "****ing idiot" just because I don't think MIM's are "s***ty". A little on the overpriced side, maybe.

Ever hear of USED? No? How about "I don't have an extra freakin grand lying around"?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I'm not a "****ing idiot" just because I don't think MIM's are "s***ty". A little on the overpriced side, maybe.

Ever hear of USED? No? How about "I don't have an extra freakin grand lying around"?

your not an idiot for thinking mims are good, they arent bad but your an idiot to facepalm the fact that a vintage mustang is pretty close to a modern one considering its only a grand more try finding a good 65 strat for a grand more than a mim guitar....
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm

flops as in commercial flops.
Quote by JohnIsMyName

than you are very correct, my bad good sir
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
your not an idiot for thinking mims are good, they arent bad but your an idiot to facepalm the fact that a vintage mustang is pretty close to a modern one considering its only a grand more try finding a good 65 strat for a grand more than a mim guitar....

What about his idiot?

I never liked Mustangs, I like the body shape of strats more than anything else Fender has to offer.

This whole MIM V. MIA thing is very peculiar. I've played very good MIAs that blow MIMs out of the water, and vice-versa if the MIM was set up well and modded to have higher quality hardware and electronics. But that's Strats and Teles, I dunno about the MIA V MIM on the Mustang line.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Skagasm

I was just facepalming the assumption that anyone could easily just slap another grand down and get a vintage one. It's a great deal but not everyone can do it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by AcousticMirror

fender died in '68.

Well I think more like '72 but I agree it died!

Quote by MortifiedLizard
I was just facepalming the assumption that anyone could easily just slap another grand down and get a vintage one. It's a great deal but not everyone can do it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

its all good mann, sorry for the harshh
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
sure is a reason to facepalm

http://www.gbase.com//gear/fender-mustang-1966-red-lacquer

****ing idiot......

Wow bro I didn't know they got that expensive.in 2001 I bought a 67 mustang body with a musicmaster(I think that's what it was called)neck on it,1 sd jb humbucker and a stock strat single coil with a flat cover for 300 bucks....I know its definatly not stock but shit man that's a big difference

I swear people in this thread are trying to wind me up.

Once again, their are no MIM mustang reissues. Only MIA and CIJ/MIJ.
They have MIM versions of the Jag/Jazzmaster, were fender corrected the issues with the bridge, break angle and put on some hotter pickups.

Vintage mustangs/other student models where still made in the USA, and will be nicer in a comparison to something like an MIM tele or a strat. So they arent just "shitty student guitars".

The fender japan reissues are very comparable to MIAs, besides pickups, theyre practically identicle in workmanship and quality, but a fair bit cheaper.

The Fender Mustang '65RI Classic, is an MIJ guitar, generally import MIJs in the US are pretty rare, theyre easier to get a hold of in the UK because of fender USs issues with fender japan. We can get a new mustang for £600 which is around $900. Which isnt expensive for a good MIJ crafted instrument. The vintage ones go for around double that.
Quote by beckyjc
I swear people in this thread are trying to wind me up.

Once again, their are no MIM mustang reissues. Only MIA and CIJ/MIJ.
They have MIM versions of the Jag/Jazzmaster, were fender corrected the issues with the bridge, break angle and put on some hotter pickups.

Vintage mustangs/other student models where still made in the USA, and will be nicer in a comparison to something like an MIM tele or a strat. So they arent just "shitty student guitars".

The fender japan reissues are very comparable to MIAs, besides pickups, theyre practically identicle in workmanship and quality, but a fair bit cheaper.

The Fender Mustang '65RI Classic, is an MIJ guitar, generally import MIJs in the US are pretty rare, theyre easier to get a hold of in the UK because of fender USs issues with fender japan. We can get a new mustang for £600 which is around $900. Which isnt expensive for a good MIJ crafted instrument. The vintage ones go for around double that.

As i said in my original post - the mustang reissues are good quality, and anyone who denies that is an idiot, but i find that the quality is actually more than the spec of the guitar is worth, and that bumps the price up more than the guitar is worth too - bear in mind this is just my opinion. That's the reason i wouldn't pay more than £300 for one.

I just find that the short scale, small body and obnoxious trem don't justify the build quality because they don't really make a good platform for solid tone - they just naturally have a tone that i find quite weak (whether you replace the pickups or not).

Doesn't mean i hate them - no matter how much they might suck, they are still really cool guitars
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
each to their own.

I cant really argue about the body being small, but it is pretty comfy.
Scale length is 24", .75 of an inch shorter than standard les paul scale, so i dont really understand that. (Theres a few 22.5" though)
The trem system is really well designed, more stable than any strat trem system.
I found the tone to be quite punchy and well rounded.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Yeah Kurt thought the same thing, he had his tech replace all the bridges on his Jags with tune-o-matics.

Which is a bad idea really seeing as a Tune has a 12" radius and mustangs are 7.25". Talk about uncomfy.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with mustang trems so long as you're using heavier strings.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
The only reason that I would never buy a Mustang, is because of the scale length, I can't even play Gibson guitars. Aside from that, I think Mustangs are awsome, I think they look cool, I think they sound good, all the ones that I have played were really well made too.

I was going to buy a modded one once, it was a stange yellow colour, ended up buying another Tele in the end, though. Which I now don't want.

I think it's lame when people buy all the same gear as their idol, and expect to sound just like them. But I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a certain type of guitar because your favorite guitar player plays one.

Also yeah, I was going to say, new Mustangs arn't even that expensive in the UK.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Skagasm

Sure, bands like the Ventures played them and I think even Brian Wilson used a few Jazzmasters, but once Dick Dale came along and made awesome surf music with a Strat, a guitar which wasn't mean for a certain niche, people didn't really care that much about getting a guitar meant for a specific genre, which is why by the time the 70s came along Jazzmaster and Jaguar sales were terrible and they were eventually discontinued in the mid 70s.

The Jazzmaster was meant to be a Jazz guitar and the Jaguar was meant to be a surf guitar, and hollow bodies dominated the jazz world, and any guitar would do for surf so long as it was bright and you had reverb.

Quote by JohnIsMyName

Basically this; they didn't really find much popularity in the markets they were intended for, even though Fender tried their hardest to make them more popular.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Jul 25, 2010,
i still think jazzmasters are one of the best guitars ever created for jazz, alt, surf, psychedelic
roland AC90

Page 1 of 2