Poll: Should flag desecration be illegal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should flag desecration be illegal?
Yes, it should be illegal.
6 7%
No, it should not be illegal.
70 85%
I don't know.
6 7%
Voters: 82.
France seems to think so. What about you?

France protects flag after bottom-wiping photograph

France has introduced a rule to protect its national flag from insult after a photo of a man wiping his bottom with the tricolour caused outrage.

Under the rule, anyone caught trying to "destroy, damage or use the flag in a degrading manner" could face a fine of 1,500 euros (£1,250; $1,900).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10744040

Personally I think it's ridiculous. Why can you criticize the goverment verbally and in written form, but not do anyhing to the flag? The fine isn't justifiable either. Is this another attempt from france to regain a strong national image? What do you think?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No, if I want to express my discontent through desecrating the flag, then I should have the right to do it.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
No, it's a piece of cloth with centuries old colour on it with no real relevance. People need to grow the hell up.
If I want to burn a piece of coloured cloth I've bought then I should be allowed to.
Quote by Kensai
Is this another attempt from france to regain a strong national image?

They had a strong national image?

I guess it's all about that nationality pride thing I don't know why it's unnacceptable to do it with a flag though and not with words or cheese though.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Yes it should, things have value besides their material value. It has a meaning, a countries flag it's a representation of the country itself, their government and it's people. It's very disrespectful towards the people around you. Since you live in a society you should respect your piers. Flag, religion, believes, national anthem, political view, etc.
Quote by tasanhalas
Yes it should, things have value besides their material value. It has a meaning, a countries flag it's a representation of the country itself, their government and it's people. It's very disrespectful towards the people around you. Since you live in a society you should respect your piers. Flag, religion, believes, national anthem, political view, etc.

To some people it does, to some it doesn't. France has people in the government for whom apparently it does mean something, hence the ban.
Quote by padgea7x

I guess it's all about that nationality pride thing I don't know why it's unnacceptable to do it with a flag though and not with words or cheese though.

Well like... 100 years ago.

Quote by tasanhalas

You could say the same thing about criticizing the goverment since they're elected by the people. Desecrating a flag doesn't have to be about disrespecting the people living in it.
Quote by padgea7x

Napoleon....?

And as David Mitchell put it, if you are burning a flag you bought, you're burning your own flag, not 'my' flag!

I don't really get patriotism but meh.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
Napoleon....?

Yeah he was a strong national image, but people still took the piss outta the guy
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x
Yeah he was a strong national image, but people still took the piss outta the guy

I'm not that great at history, but wasn't Napoleon exiled or whatever you might call it to the island by France itself?
It should be very legal. People should be able to make very brash physical statements against the government, to make it afraid of being a fagdouche. Some American president or someone said that every twenty years there should be a violent uprising amongst the people against the government in order to assure it's purity and non-fagdouchery. Or something along those lines. I know a violent uprising wouldnt work these days, but we should at least be allowed to do something.
...In my opinion.
Quote by stratkat
Burning a flag isn't much of a statement, it's just cliche, predictable, and reminds me of tree huggers.

This pretty much sums up it up.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Quote by stratkat
Burning a flag isn't much of a statement, it's just cliche, predictable, and reminds me of tree huggers.

Quote by TMVATDI
last time i checked, this was america * walks away *

What is this I don't even...

Anyway, citizens should have the right to protest, and if they wish to involve the flag, then that's their business.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
^^ I once planned to do a similar thing in which I would burn a cross live. I hadn't heard of a certain group of people who did that at the time

EDIT: by planned I mean fantasized about doing in my head - I haven't done a gig yet

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by TMVATDI

I'd normally assume this quite a good sarcastic joke, but given what you've said in the Mighty Boosh thread I don't think you even know what irony is.

People from lots of different countries use this website, I'm currently in Australia, the site is based in Russia, international news is still relevant anyway, you are an utter idiot.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by TMVATDI

Please keep walking.

On topic, I don't think there should be any punishment for desecrating a flag. One of the things about being "free" is that if we want to wipe our bottoms on an old piece of fabric that we own, we should have the right to do so.

On the other hand, if this guy doesn't like his country, then why is he still there?
Quote by padgea7x

EDIT: congrats on the c0ck-and-balls shaped poll
Quote by Minkaro
On the other hand, if this guy doesn't like his country, then why is he still there?

It's really not that easy just moving to another country, not only do you have to leave so much behind or at a distance (friends, job, family) you have to find new things of it in another place. It's just easier staying put and protesting.
Of course it should be legal.

""Hey buddy, my dad died for that flag"

"Really?...I bought mine...They sell 'em in K-Mart..."

"yeah..He died in Korea for that flag"

"Wow, what a coincidence. Mine was made in Korea... the world is THAT big man..."

No-one, and I repeat NO-ONE has ever died for a flag. A flag is a piece of cloth, they might have died for freedom, which, by the way, is the freedom to....Burn the.. ****ing flag you see??..Burning the flag doesn't make freedom go away, it's kinda like Free-dom ok?..ok."
- Bill Hicks.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by tasanhalas

Like freedom?
The freedom you should have to burn the flag?

EDIT: Well the guy above me quoted Bill Hicks which basically is where I got my point from, so yeah.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
No, it obviously shouldn't be illegal. Thought crimes FTL.

Quote by Minkaro

I'd rather change my country than leave it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Liberty, equality, fraternity.

My arse...
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
No. Never.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
A flag is only a symbol, it's personal opinion whether a flag is of great importance or not so one person would see the desecration as offensive and another wouldn't see the problem. (I voted no)
it should be legal. it's stupid and juvenile. but doesn't change the fact it should be legal.
#DTWD
hell no. You can treat you're own property how you wish. If you burn somebody else's flag, then sure, that's rightly illegal, but it shouldn't be more illegal than if you burn their towels or something else of similar value.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.