Needing help guys - I've been sanding, solid body for sure (Checked cavity)... But I wanted to get through the darker patches(some paint residue or something...) as I am keen for the wooden finish. But there are now patches that are exposed, seems like softer/lighter wood or something... Please see pics, don't really know whats up as this is my first mod...

Cavity showing Solid Guit:

Before sanding dark patch:

After sanding dark patch:

A few other similar patches on the body:
"Try to realize it's all within yourself, no one else can make you change. And to see you're really only very small, and life goes on within you and without you..."
It looks to me (in my moderate level of experience) like you sanded through some kind of varnish that was on the entire guitar. Maybe you could sand it all off, or varnish the whole thing?
i'd just keep sanding for a bit to see if it's a varnish (if it all goes light) if it's not varnish then a solid colour paint will be your only option i suppose unless you want it to look kinda ghetto
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
You should just have to keep sanding. It all looks like the same wood. The grain is continuous as far as I can tell, meaning that it's just something on the outside. The insides of the screw holes also look lighter, so it should be lighter all over underneath that darker stain. You may have to sand a while, but it should be fine.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Nah, that's just the grain of Agathis. It's nasty looking stuff.

EDIT: Oh. Well, coulda been finish or something under the seal coat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 25, 2010,