im after an amp that can play good cleans and nice thick rock.

spending about US$1000. prefer new.

amp will be miked up, but prefer a line out option. so wattage isn't a major as it will be controlled through sound desk.

not too fussed about valve vs normal. but amp will be transported alot in back of van so will this cause damage to valves if i get valve.

amp sounds i like a vox AC15, Bogner alchamest, mesa recterfiers etc

chur
Sounds like he'd like an orange?

COMBO OR HEAD?

EDIT:

So an Orange Rocker 30

UG REVIEWS OF IT

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb

UG REVIEWS OF IT

Marshall 2266C Vintage Modern

UG REVIEWS OF IT

Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Jul 24, 2010,
a combo would be better, but if i do find a good head i have a nice 2x12 mesa cab for a good price off a mate.

that orange looks really good, ive never seen many of those around my town.
Orange is good for cleans and 'that rock tone' but not much else. So be careful if you think that you could get into metal.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
how bout the mesa express combos i played through one i loved it
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Definitely Express, or if you can't find one, an F-series.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
na im not into much metal, heaviets ill play is metallica and tool, and a touch of disturbed.
Check out:
Marshall Studio 15
Soldano Astroverb
Mesa F-50/Express
Orange Rocker/Rockverb
Marshall JCM800
Metro JTM45
Fender Deluxe Reverb

really the list is endless, got any tone influences?
stryker's "endless list" is pretty much the ideal amps to look at.

You can't expect an amp priced at $1000 to be a 'do it all.' the only amp I've ever heard that could truly 'do it all,' is the suhr PT100, which is also more then $3000 if I'm correct.
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.
I'd go for a Mesa or Vox. Personally, I'd go for the AC15, but I think a Mesa might suit you better. As Stryker said, we need to know the sound you're going for. I also heard that Orange amps can have a bland clean channel, although their distortion is aweeeesome!!! Marshalls would also be good if you use distortion most of the time. On the other end, most Fenders do cleans best but you can always get pedals.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
^Fender amps do clean best? hell no, there is no best when it comes to cleans. most fender cleans are out right boring if you ask me
/flameshield

You can find a Vox AC30 CC for under 1000, and it's got a very nice top boost sound. but like i said, we need to know your tone influences, what kinds of cleans do you like and all the works.
What I meant to say is most people seem to say Fender cleans are better than Fender Distortions. Might depend on the amp as I've been looking at Blues Jrs recently...

My instincts tell me you're more of a Marshall guy?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
i'm more of a "this is my sound" guy, i like Plexi cleans, i like the deluxe reverb's natural overdrive, and i also happen to love the SLO crunch. i'm not really an amp guy, i'm more of a "i want this sound but i don't care what i get it with"

= british, middy cleans (think plexi superbass)
vintage crunch ( deluxe reverb crunch)
more modern and heavier crunch (slo100)

that's the stuff
Last edited by stykerwolf at Jul 24, 2010,
You should try a bugera 1960 amp, which according to your description is perfect if you like a marshall plexi sound.

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Sh3gjwaIg

As for the thread starter check out the bugera V series, or the super versatile 333xl.

I am a happy user of a 333xl.. It does metal ,and cleans really well, but it certainly does not have a plexi type of tone which is why im recomending the 1960 instead.
Last edited by nyandres at Jul 24, 2010,
Bugeras have an notorious reputation for sounding amazing but being horribly unreliable. Like, farting out after 6-8 months.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Try the Carvin V3; either the 2x12 combo or the head and 4x12 cabinet. It is a very versatile and great-sounding amplifier.

If you get the combo, get it with the Celestion Vintage 30s.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
my cleans will be dribbled with a touch of reverb and delay, so i can spice up a boring clean if need be. maybe something like pink floyds cleans.

as for leads and distorted sounds, i like mark tremonti's sound alot. but i know his tones are hard to get on a budget. but nice thick and no so distorted that it covers up hammer notes during chords. if that makes any sence.

i did like the look of the Mesa 5:50 amp. but prices are out my way down here.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Bugeras have an notorious reputation for sounding amazing but being horribly unreliable. Like, farting out after 6-8 months.

Ive had mines for over a year, although the 333XL is not a new model, so I probably got one of the newer ones when they fixed their manufacturing issues. All the new 333xls are very reliable for example
Last edited by nyandres at Jul 24, 2010,
what about blackstar ht 40 club?

also how are valve amps for transporting? will the valves get damaged while driving over pot holes etc?
i'm thinking used line 6 vetta here. i know you said you prefer new but it should do everything you want, well under budget.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by HKSR33
what about blackstar ht 40 club?

also how are valve amps for transporting? will the valves get damaged while driving over pot holes etc?

The Blackstar amps are great choices. I'd get the 2x12 version rather than the 1x12:

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-60h.html

If you are worried about the tubes, you can always take them out and pack them safely, but this is not necessary. As long as you aren't going four-wheeling with your amp in the back of a truck, you should be fine.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
any reason why the 2x12 than the 1x12.

i know it has more power, and a few more features, but i plug into our PA system so my amp dont need to carry to fill the venues we play at. ive been making do with a 15watt practice amp for a while as i just need to carry on stage volume. reason why i ask is if your recommending just for more balls and volume, as the ht60 2x12 is going out the budget a bit.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm thinking used line 6 vetta here. i know you said you prefer new but it should do everything you want, well under budget.

This is exactly what I was gonna say (thanks for ruining it for me, jerk ).

If you really need all the sounds you mentioned and want a line-out, a Vetta would be about perfect.
Mesa Express all the way. I like the EL84 personally.

Edit: Don't fool with the 1x10" because that speaker is hopeless. Get the 12" Vintage 30 one. It's great!
Last edited by lilchrist at Aug 9, 2010,