Page 1 of 2
I'd love to hear what some of you guys have to say about this. Basically you write where you think the musical world is heading. You can be short-term (next big bands, etc.) or long-term (new genres that'll come up, genres that will become popular / unpopular, etc.); you can be serious, or not. But I think it'd be interesting to talk about.

So, share your thoughts.
Parts of the "-core" scene will become more accessible and take over in the rock department. Post-grunge will drop off of top 40 radio and slowly die. Rap/R&B will probably stay the same, maybe less popularity for rap.
Muse continue their current trend in genre-shifting - their 6th studio album, released in 2012, is 70 minutes of Matt Bellamy gangsta rapping...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
for some reason, people find all that "core" shit really cool, even cooler if it's a rap remix. so, i'm guessing it's gonna be that for a while.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
in about 20 years we'll see everything go back to more simpler terms. music will evolve too far. i already dont like the mass amounts of genres. rock, modern rock, classic rock, soft rock, prog rock, post rock, hard rock, electro rock.
and then replace rock with metal, alternative etc.
if you ask me its stupid these days because everyone sees things differently.
so yeah thats why i think it'll go to far, and then it'll be cool again just to be one simple genre.
rock. metal. popular. electro. rap.
doneee

also what guitarhero said except i think rap will stay the same, it'll just take more influences from everything else. and i think the whole "-core" scene is already very accessible.
There'll be just as much shit as there has been for the past 50 years or whatever, and everyone will complain about how much better music was back in their day. While, as always, there will be a load of more underground bands putting out awesome music.

So basically it's going to be the exact same, except for different genres. Probably more electronic stuff, seeing as it's cool to like dubstep these days.
in the far future music will become more atonal and dissonant seeing as it will become harder and harder for music to sound interesting as more and more things in music are being done.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
I think everything will continue to go downhill for a while, people will continue to listen to terrible pop music, metal-core bands will sound even more the same, metal bands will either become more pop-y or move into the disgusting range of metal sub-genres. Basically everything will continue to suck, but then I think in the next 10-20 years some really good bands will come out, and remind everyone what real music sounds like.
I see vinyl getting bigger. It's already making a comeback. Tough to say right now though, whether it's just a hit-and-miss trend or if it really is back.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Highway60Bob
in the far future music will become more atonal and dissonant seeing as it will become harder and harder for music to sound interesting as more and more things in music are being done.

Do you think music using alternative scale temperaments will become popular in the near future? There's only so much you can do with the chromatic scale alone. There are already too many coincidentally similar melodies. Why not use different notes? (provided they can find a way to make them sound less dissonant)
Loads of new genres will come up which are just really a slight twist on the genre's we already have. Music will get even more artificial.
My band is going to be huge and we will redefine all music genres we shall be bigger than the Beatles. I hope.

I dont think anyone can really predict what is going to happen in music.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Quote by sashki
Do you think music using alternative scale temperaments will become popular in the near future? There's only so much you can do with the chromatic scale alone. There are already too many coincidentally similar melodies. Why not use different notes? (provided they can find a way to make them sound less dissonant)

oh yes definitely, i mean it will have to happen to keep music alive and interesting, it's only a matter of time till when it does. it all depends on how long the masses decide to continue to deal with the same shit
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
I dont see what Genre hasnt been invented,there are so many sub-genres it's insane,I think rock and metal will lose his popularity but regain it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I believe people will start becoming more technical with thier music. You can tell that pop music is starting to run out of melodic ideas to put of a standard bubblegum chord progression. Like someone said, more A-tonal.

As the older generation die off, so will the older music. I wouldn't be suprised if metal really kicks off again like in the 80s.

So it's gone, 60s pop folk rock.
70s Distortion and rock
80s more distortion and metal, extra gain developed more technical players
90s artists went away from the technical, playing lots of ostinatos all teh time
00s ......... Pop music has gone electronic?
10s i really want technical skill back.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by sashki
(provided they can find a way to make them sound less dissonant)

Like the Indians have hundreds of years ago? ZING!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I think funk is going to make a comeback. But it will be taken over by hipsters, who will eventually dump it and find a new style to cling to, and then funk will be where it is now.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Music will remain the shit it is.
Old days will never be back :/
i think techno and some core generas will become very popular while hip jop r&b and rap become will slowly decline and indie grunge and hardcore will all die
@HeWent2Jared_
I really dont like this view that music nowadays is shit and its only going to get worse. There are a lot of exciting and creative bands around, spend a bit of time digging around for them and you can find absolute gold. Creative people will always find new ways to make interesting sounds and great songs.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

I will still be stuck in the 80's
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by julzius
I believe people will start becoming more technical with thier music. You can tell that pop music is starting to run out of melodic ideas to put of a standard bubblegum chord progression. Like someone said, more A-tonal.

As the older generation die off, so will the older music. I wouldn't be suprised if metal really kicks off again like in the 80s.

So it's gone, 60s pop folk rock.
70s Distortion and rock
80s more distortion and metal, extra gain developed more technical players
90s artists went away from the technical, playing lots of ostinatos all teh time
00s ......... Pop music has gone electronic?
10s i really want technical skill back.

I think this post illustrates an important point: all changes in music (or in anything, for that matter) are reactions AGAINST a current mindset. Basically, that people become bored with the current mainstream view and slowly more and more people start gravitating towards a new (or perhaps just a rehash of an older) mindset, until what was once the "new, fresh mindset" becomes the main idea of the society.

Its the same way in music, imo. For example, the Hippy mindset (which was incredibly counter-cultural)of the 60s brought about many of the innovations in rock music that ultimately led to 70s rock, metal, and probably electronic music as well.

With that in mind, I think it is reasonable to assume that EVENTUALLY there will be a mainstream shift away from electronic music (and that means ALL sorts of electronic music, from music entirely produced electronically to possibly music simply electronically AMPLIFIED).

Therefore, I think it is reasonable to first assume that we will gradually shift more and more towards electronic, distorted, and heavy music (I mean, look at the freakin' Robot Guitar, for christ sake), which in its implication I think will represent a shift towards "perfection" in tuning (again, robot guitar), technical skill, and composition (especially electronic music, which can be reproduced EXACTLY and without flaw in live performance).

After this goes on for a while, I think there will be a reaction against "electronic, perfect" music, and maybe we will see a rise in gritty-dirty folk music; the use of acoustic instruments; and simplicity in music.

Theres my two cents.
Quote by nmitchell076
big post

I hope so, because I hate the electronic crap.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
The internet will explode with independent artists and music will get weirder. Other than that, no one can possibly know and that's part of why music is so beautiful.
...In my opinion.
Quote by TMF128
I hope so, because I hate the electronic crap.

And another point I think is worth noting is that I have seen a rise in attendance at Folk Festivals (especially one in my town, which 5 years ago was reasonably attended, and which now is so packed with people you can barely move when you get there).

Could be just coincidence, and admittedly, its only one festival (I have no idea about other folk festivals), but who knows, it could grow into something.
I think it's important to point out that an era is defined as much by its counterculture as it is by its culture. The 60's are a prime example of this, the 70's to an extent as well. The 80's saw the rise of synth music, but at the same time some of the rawest DIY stuff ever. The 90's were a reaction and an evolution from the 80's. But anyway, my point is that from the electronica of today will bring a counterculture of supreme raw-ness that will defines the era as much as the electronic music itself.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
i think that some new style of metal without screaming will come, and in rock bands will come who take influence from pop singers and they'll suck, but then some new kind of rock will kill it and, yea definately alternate scales and modes will be used. o and for punk bands will take influence from the original punk bands and kick out gay pop punk, alt rock will have another big band like nirvana and they'll start a movement as influential as grunge was.
I can see the major labels becoming less important over the next 20 yrs or so.
I also agree with whoever said about a sub-genre of metal with no screaming. I would also like to see more experimentally minded musicians. I can see guys like Matt Bellamy pushing what the guitar can do even further.
I would also like to see some more jazz metal coming out.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Typical post in this thread: LOL METAL WILL REIGN BECAUSE US ELITISTS SAY SO

What is actually more likely to happen: Pretty much the same trends for at least the next 10-15 years, increases in synthesizer usage and improvements in synthesizer technology may result in greater usage outside of pop, electronic, and hip-hop.

I think that before we start getting more on the atonal side, we're going to look at what different instruments we can use in new contexts, because here in the western world, we're still hell-bent on our diatonic scales, and consonant harmonies, and it's almost impossible for atonal music done in those diatonic scales, let alone microtonal music, to sound "accessible" here. So first, we're going to be looking at using instruments in new ways, like more prepared string instruments, less emphasis on guitars, newer and more "musical" synthesizer technologies, and in 50 years or so, we might be getting to a point where guitar music is seen the same way then as big band music is seen now, as nostalgic rather than current.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
One thing I forgot to mention that I'm noticing, (and it seems like a few others here have), acoustic/folk/roots music is starting to show up more and more lately.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Post-grunge will probably die out in a few years.

Hip-hop/Rap will blend even more with electronic music.

Music will get much more dissonant.

Microtonal pop
It's kind of already headed there and is settling in. There's a huge influx of artists and styles, a lack of demand, and an incredible amount of independent opportunity. Basicly, it's gone from big name artists making big money at big shows and having big CD sales, to a ton of smaller artists making very little money at a ton of smaller shows with practically non-existent CD sales.

The good news is it's easier than ever to get into the industry, and the bad news is that once you're in it there isn't much that changes for you. So if you're a true worker who knows how to seize an opportunity and put in the elbow grease, you'll have success. If you're just another garage band trying to "make it," you're in for a big letdown. But ofcourse just like everything else, meeting the right people and making a good impression on them is instrumental to success.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jul 24, 2010,
Everything in this thread will be proved wrong.

The genius behind it all is the things you dont even consider make the biggest impact - that's the beauty of it.

Personally golden era is emerging
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Every "Sub-adjective adjective adjectivecore" metal band will become even more of an unknown, unloved underground act, eventually(And after too long) fading into obscurity. Pop-country will die out as well, pop will become more manufactured, though slowly, more and more pop artists, such as Lady Gaga, Orianthi, and Nick Jonas(Who's actually already done so; The album that he released a while ago is far from the Disney crap he did with the Jonas Brothers. It's Stevie Wondery.), once the pop market secures them a fanbase, start giving their label the middle finger until they're dropped, at which point they do stuff themselves using the internet.

Speaking of the internet, the consumer market will be split in two between those who still like CD's and other physical means of the music, and those who just download it. More and more artists will follow Radiohead's path of releasing music at the price of "However much you want".

Justin Bieber, finally hitting puberty, lost his entire fanbase and is now that guy working at 7-11 who makes Macaulay Culkin's fall from grace look dignified. Muse has become the new Queen, with Matt incorporating a synth into his stage outfits, leading to an awesome-yet-deeply-disturbing stage presence, and has hired someone awesome-yet-unknown to replace him on guitar. Froosh is now basically Eric Clapton of his generation, and Radiohead is still saying that the industry is dying in a week.

Also, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra will steal David Lee Roth's "World's biggest lightshow" record, putting on a show in New York Harbor that scorches the Statue Of Liberty unintentionally with pyrotechnics and can be seen from space.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 24, 2010,
I'm guessing that bands will start releasing music for free now, and a lot more bands will begin taking the indie route, either by managing themselves, or going on smaller, independent labels, or by simply forming groups of bands watching out for each other; you can already see this happening. The only artists on major labels will be those that are very mainstream; pop, rap, sell-out rock bands, and bands along those terms.
Most popular rock artists (that haven't already been around since at least the 90's) will adapt some sort of "ambient" quality (think Coldplay or U2).
Hip-hop will remain popular.
"Pop" will go in the direction of Lady Gaga an start taking more influence from goth and new wave. (Such as Soft Cell or The Human League).
i guess that trance will get more mainstream
its not ungerground anymore
until i have an idea NO SIG!
Gear:
Schecter c-1 Hellraiser
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Fender frontman 25r
Korg AX10G
Digitech Grunge
some old zoom muli effect

yes im a lefty
Page 1 of 2