I'd like to vent, so here is my story:

I've been shopping for a white American Standard Strat for a few weeks and finally found a 60th anniversary (Olympic white) at a guitar center in Virginia; awesome find. I called and they were willing to ship it to me (Chicago). A week later it arrived so I went to check it out. Turns out, it was NOT the guitar advertised. It wasn't even a 60th anniversary! It was a vintage white standard, with an 05 S/N. Missing diamond engraved back plate, pearloid markers, original case...etc. There was a cheap "60" diamond emblem stuck on the back of the headstock that still had the plastic on it which tells me it was just put on to make it look like an anniversary.

Either guitar center was trying to pull a fast one, or they don't know what they are selling. I dk about you guys, but I've had nothing but problems with GC and doubt I'll ever shop there again.
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
Kill them
Current Gear...

Fender Mexican Stratocaster

Les Paul Copy w/ Seymour Duncan 59 an JB in bridge and neck respectively (She's a beauty!)

Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Jim dunlop crybaby

Electroharmonix Double Muff
You'll find a lot of GC hate here, right next to the MG and the Spider hate.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Don't they have a 30 or 45 day satisfaction guarantee? Not trying to take up for them, just saying if its not the guitar you wanted then send it back.
...And in other news: The sky is blue.

GC is known to employ incompetent sales people, which is why I never go there.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
...And in other news: The sky is blue.

GC is known to employ incompetent sales people, which is why I never go there.

This.

If you're going to get something, get it locally
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I actually like Guitar Center for how much stuff they have. You just have to do the research yourself before going in so that you know what you want, and you're not going to get anything but what you want.

If you rely on a salesman, you're going solely off whatever his opinion is on equipment, and frankly, that might be a horrible one.
you live in Chicago, i'm there are plenty of great local stores to scour, I can't imagine why you'd resort to a guitar center in virginia.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
This happened to a friend of mine. He ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II a year ago. They sent him a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which I believe is a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
Quote by Highway60Bob
you live in Chicago, i'm there are plenty of great local stores to scour, I can't imagine why you'd resort to a guitar center in virginia.

This... Aren't you like, in one of the major historical centers of the jazz movement? You know, where people played guitars...?
Quote by Stripitred
This happened to a friend of mine. He ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II a year ago. They sent him a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which I believe is a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Couple hundred dollars cheaper, and with fewer of the perks... No satin neck, no nanomag pickup... Actually, its like a completely different instrument.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I actually like Guitar Center for how much stuff they have. You just have to do the research yourself before going in so that you know what you want, and you're not going to get anything but what you want.

If you rely on a salesman, you're going solely off whatever his opinion is on equipment, and frankly, that might be a horrible one.

This.
I know you're probably not dumb TS, but if I were you I would've at least asked for pictures of the guitar you were buying, or asked them about the SN and stuff. That way you could've researched it before you bought it.
love is love // return to dust
I work for gc.com and I can agree the stores will do stupid crap to people to make a sale.
this complaint is actually legit. some of the complaints are completely messed up because the cust is too stupid on how to buy stuff
I let you get away so cleanly.
I didn't actually buy the guitar, just had them ship it here to check it out and I did check out photos on their website before asking them to send it. The guitar in the pics was not the one they sent.

And yes there is a plethora of guitar shops in Chi town, but I am looking for a specific used strat and happened to find this one. I usually buy my guitars from a local shop from my hometown in MI.

I did my homework I knew what to look for, and its ridiculous how they tried to fake me out. I feel bad for the customers who get pimped by GC.
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
Last edited by swervin at Jul 24, 2010,
Go to the guitarcenter at Harlem & Diversey. I've been going there for years, and I haven't been screwed once.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
They never know what they're talking about. They had a PRS SE 22 on the shelf with the tag for a SE 24 on it. I pointed it out to a sales guy and he told me "uhh what are you talking about man, it says PRS right on the headstock!"

That guy couldn't even fucking count.

22≠24
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
That reminds me of the time when I saw a JCM 900 listed for $400 at a nearby Guitar Center, and when I got there they didn't even have it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
If you actually go to a guitar center and know what your getting, they have damn good deals. But Im pretty sure that the employees dont know the difference between an acoustic and an electric. I went today and my cousin bought a Line 6 UX 1 and the guy didnt know the names and said that it was the cheaper one cuz he was gonna buy the 100 dollar one but just got this one.

Basically Guitar Center Prices=Awesome Guitar Center Employees and help=Horrible suck
Quote by Velcro Man
If you actually go to a guitar center and know what your getting, they have damn good deals. But Im pretty sure that the employees dont know the difference between an acoustic and an electric. I went today and my cousin bought a Line 6 UX 1 and the guy didnt know the names and said that it was the cheaper one cuz he was gonna buy the 100 dollar one but just got this one.

Basically Guitar Center Prices=Awesome Guitar Center Employees and help=Horrible suck

I heartily agree with this.
In most cases, the bigger the company, the cheaper the work forces and the prices.
Cheap prices = good
Cheap work forces = VERY bad.

If you want to buy a guitar without much knowledge of guitars, check the local, smaller stores. You won't regret it.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.