So, i have the Zvex Box of Rock, which does a good job of copying the Marshall sound but is a little too fat and not hot enough for my taste. While looking around i happened to stumble upon Tech 21's "Leeds" Dist pedal, which imo is a great sounding pedal with some awesome hotness and not as fat sounding, i'm sure to get this pedal but im not sure on what to do with the BoR? Also, im on the fence about which amp to get between an Orange Rocker30 head with a ppc 112 cab. or a Fender 65' Twin Reverb. Orange's distortion is second to none, but you cant beat that clean fender sound, I play with a Danelectro original 59' reissue. I love the vintage, british type sound, i also play indie and psychedelic so feel free to give some feedback and some tone tips to help me achieve this sound(:
Last edited by motherlicker at Jul 24, 2010,
If you go with the Fender, you're pretty much going to need an overdrive or distortion pedal, probably 2-3. Fender's overdrive is crunchy, but FAR from awesome. Think like ZZ Top. It will get gainier, but then it just sounds like muddy ZZ Top. So I'd recommend an overdrive/boost, in addition to a full-on distortion pedal. On the other hand, Fender and Vox are well-known for being among the best clean amps in the world, so they'd be great for Indie with some chorus, phaser, vibrato, whatever. And the Fender reverb can't be beat.

On the other hand, Orange is like a Class A Marshall. Higher gain, big thick sound, and very warm tones, but not overly clean. It's clean enough that it sounds good, but not clean enough that you'd ever use it to record if you had a Fender or a Vox handy. Also, Orange is pretty much the go-to for early psychedelic and metal - nothing does Sabbath, Steppenwolf, or Strawberry Alarm Clock better or with less knob-twiddling. Also, you'd still want a boost/overdrive, but you probably wouldn't need a distortion pedal.

Something else to look into would be the Orange pedal from www.olcircuits.com . Officially Liscenced Circuits builds a number of distortion pedals based off of various amps' preamp sections. Basically they copy the preamp circuit, and everywhere there's a tube they put in an FET. The lack of tubes means that it won't sound right unless you're playing it with a tube amp (preferably one with a similar speaker combination), but if you plug it into the right amp it sounds astonishing like the real thing.

I used to own a Boogie, and it was WAAAAAAY too loud for my apartment. It was even too loud for most every gig I ever played. After selling it and buying a Tiny Terror and a 2x12 cab (with a 1x8 for apartment use!) I missed the stupid high gain sound sometimes. I talked to Mike at OLC, and he suggested a pedal based on the Soldano SLO-100, which is VERY similar to my Mesa. He even lowered the gain on the pedal for me, so that I could use it when my TT was already overdriven and not get mush. Using the 1x8 cab, it's not my Mesa. But with the 2x12 cab, the thing sounds so much like my Mesa it's incredible.

He's even got a HiWatt model, which is what Pete Townsend and a bunch of other guys used. The HiWatt is basically like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain. If I were you, I'd look at the OLC page, and listen to the pedals. I believe the clips are all made with a Peavey 1x12 amp, so it's a very fair, honest comparison. It sounds like you're not going to be using silly high gain much, so if I were you I'd get the Fender amp, and the Orange or HiWatt pedal from Mike. They're about $160 built, but I swear they're worth every penny.

I don't normally rant and rave about companies like this, but it's very rare to find one in this day and age that pays so much attention to your needs that they'll alter the product to fit with little or no cost increase. He'll even give it a custom paintjob or alter LED colours for a very reasonable price. Good luck getting Fender or Orange to make an amp with a higher or lower gain preamp section without paying three times the price. Most of those guys will even tell you you're voiding your warrantee if you use different tubes or speakers.
^^That site is really interesting. I might have to try on of those in the future.

Quote by motherlicker
So, i have the Zvex Box of Rock, which does a good job of copying the Marshall sound but is a little too fat and not hot enough for my taste. While looking around i happened to stumble upon Tech 21's "Leeds" Dist pedal, which imo is a great sounding pedal with some awesome hotness and not as fat sounding, i'm sure to get this pedal but im not sure on what to do with the BoR? Also, im on the fence about which amp to get between an Orange Rocker30 head with a ppc 112 cab. or a Fender 65' Twin Reverb. Orange's distortion is second to none, but you cant beat that clean fender sound, I play with a Danelectro original 59' reissue. I love the vintage, british type sound, i also play indie and psychedelic so feel free to give some feedback and some tone tips to help me achieve this sound(:
If you're going to get the Leeds pedal, which sounds like it has plenty of gain on tap for your needs, I'd sell the BOR and buy the Twin Reverb. If you're looking for more gain, then the Orange and a boost pedal would probably work, but the Leeds sounds nice to my ears, so that with the Twin Reverb as a clean platform would be my choice.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.