I'm thinking about getting a Kahler installed on my LP, along with an FR nut. I do have some questions though.
  • Would it be worth the expense of installation and parts?
  • How labor-intensive are Kahlers in regular maintenance?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What kind of LP were you thinking of putting it in?

And it will probably be more cost worthy to buy a new guitar that already has one in it. The cost of buying the trem system, and having the spot routed, and installation, is gonna cost you atleast $600. That's what they had quoted me when I wanted to put a FR in my B.C. Rich.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
it worth it if you think its worth it. if you really want it on your lp yes but it would be easier to buy a guitar with one already installed unless you do it yourslef
ive never had one so wouldnt know personally but ive heard that they are much easier than floyds to maintain
Last edited by supersac at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by Koshman32
What kind of LP were you thinking of putting it in?

And it will probably be more cost worthy to buy a new guitar that already has one in it. The cost of buying the trem system, and having the spot routed, and installation, is gonna cost you atleast $600. That's what they had quoted me when I wanted to put a FR in my B.C. Rich.

Epi standard. It probably would cost less to install a Kahler; there's far less routing to do. I can install and set it up myself, it's just the routing I can't do. I don't have a router, which makes it difficult.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well if you really want one on a les paul, you can get a good kahler for about the same price as an original floyd rose, about 200$. I dont know how much it would be to install it, personally I would have an experienced tech do it unless it is a beater guitar and you are sure of what you are doing. I dont know how much that would cost but I cant see it being more than 200 dollars at the most for labor, probably less if you are dealing with a good luthier who is experienced at putting in necks and frets, though this would be wholly differenct and involve drilling.

Just curious, what style of music do you play? I have never heard of a kahler in a les paul though I dont see why you couldn't, have seen les paul's with floyd roses. You could bet a used bc rich warbeast or even an esp jh-600 at a discount on musicisns friend new for about 750 if you like strat bodies and emg's.

Here's the site I got my floyd rose from.
http://www.beyondeleven.com/Kahler-Tremolo-s/83.htm
Kahlers are easier to install in an LP, compared to an FR. I play stuff that sometimes involves a trem, mostly in the metal area.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Been wanting a kahler myself. Was thinking about getting one when I watched that demometal guy's online videos where he just trashed them, ended up getting an esp 400mhnt instead as well as a schecter baritone. Own 6 guitars but have never played one with a kahler, though slayer is definitely one of my top bands, I have read up on them and the jh-600 sounds like it would be my ideal guitar, would probably end up putting some kind of booster in it eventually.

Anyway, Kahlers are supposed to have a more uniform feel unlike a floyd which is light at the beginning but the tension increases the farther you use it. I like the fact that you can lock the hybrid ones also. I have heard they require a little more maintenance than a floyd, you have to lube them by the strings occasionaly. Had a friend who played one a few times, very good guitarist. Said the rumour about them going out of tune was largely due to cheap ones being used, like cheap floyds. Said one thing you could do to make sure it never goes out of tune was when you are using it to end pulling up on it? I believe. Anyway, I am now determined to get a jh-600 or maybe bc rich wartribe if it is cheap, dont care for anything but a strat body. Is there a particular model of kahler you like, what is your experience with kalhler's? Do you find them superior to floyds in any way?
No experience with Kahlers, but they are FAR less routing than an FR for a Les Paul.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden