Lately I've noticed that I seem to be moving my thumb around a lot, changing the pick angle, while I alternate pick. It seems like during my downstrokes, the side of the pick that's closer to the neck of the guitar is at more of a downward angle, but on the upstrokes the pick seems to be at a more neutral angle. Could this be bad for my technique/speed?

I can try to provide pics/videos to show what I mean if it'd help.
i know what you mean and i do the same im pretty sure its normal you should get used to this since you need to pick like this for sweep picking (if you play metal you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO LEARN SWEEPING!!!)
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by guitarscreams
if you play metal you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO LEARN SWEEPING!!!

Or not...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, plenty of people do fine without sweeping. It's a less useful technique than alternate picking at the very least.
just practice relaxing your hand and having the power come from your wrist.
I have the same problem, currently.
Thumb movement to change the picking angle is fine and good so long as the actual picking motion comes from your wrist. PG talks about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khs0Wl7Hvas

However, if you do change your picking angle it should be for a difference in tone or maybe a slight comfort thing. Control over your dynamics is important.
Quote by guitarscreams
i know what you mean and i do the same im pretty sure its normal you should get used to this since you need to pick like this for sweep picking (if you play metal you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO LEARN SWEEPING!!!)

I alternate pick with a slight angle in my pick. When I sweep pick, I always keep the pick parallel with the strings.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Thumb movement to change the picking angle is fine and good so long as the actual picking motion comes from your wrist. PG talks about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khs0Wl7Hvas

However, if you do change your picking angle it should be for a difference in tone or maybe a slight comfort thing. Control over your dynamics is important.

Okay, looking at the video it seems like the way I hold my pick is pretty similar to Paul's. I think I hold my other 3 fingers a bit less loosely and my index finger might be a bit different, but then again I'm looking at my own hand from a different angle. Also looks like he doesn't move his fingers around or adjust the pick while he's playing either, and if it can work for him, why can't it work for me? I'm gonna start practicing and specifically making sure that I don't adjust the pick angle or use any finger movement in my alt-picking. So hey, thanks for showing me that!
It's a good idea to make sure your fingers don't subconsciously move to help produce the alternate picking motion, but I'd say there's nothing wrong with changing your picking angle depending on what string you're on and what sound you're trying to produce. If you'll notice, in the video, Paul's thumb starts off bent when picking on the bass strings and ends up being more straight when he reached the high strings, due to the already natural angle that your wrist ends up being in down there. I sort of do the same thing sometimes if I want that crispy angled sound on the bass strings.