Just wondering, if you've played one of those set neck thru guitars, most likely you might have all of the back finished. I have a schecter hellraiser c-7, and was just wondering if it would be a good idea to sand off the gloss on the neck. Any advice or tips? Thanks
I would just like to have the neck feel satinized
Last edited by Jedi Pirate at Jul 24, 2010,
You dont need to sand off the paint, just get some 0000 grade steel wool and rub down the areas you want to feel satin.

(and if it is still too glossy go down to 000 grade).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ what he said. I did the same to one of my guitars, except I used like 4000 grit sand paper. it's still pretty smooth, just doesn't have that sticky feel anymore.
Quote by Absent Mind
You dont need to sand off the paint, just get some 0000 grade steel wool and rub down the areas you want to feel satin.

(and if it is still too glossy go down to 000 grade).

Isn't it weird, that when you take off the gloss, you are effectively scratching the surface MORE, increasing the surface area, yet it feels smoother?

If you want the neck to be smooth as silk AND shiny as hell, then you need to wet sand the neck with a foam backing pad until it is all level, then buff it up.

It will be like glass to look at, but still totally smooth and not sticky.

Or have it satin, which is good too.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
as posted, just rub it with some 0000 grade steel wool, feels amazing afterward
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Alright, thanks for the feedback guys. Another question, it won't mess up the wood or anything? like drying it out or something?
Nah, the steel wool doesnt actually take the paint off, just gives it a satin finish. Even if you did take it totally off, it wouldn't really affect the wood.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
The steel wool will just take the gloss off the finish. You could maybe get through to the wood, but with 0000 wool it would take a LONG time! You wont damage anything.