Hey UG,

I'm at the point where I'm tired of doing the Pedal Dance, and I want to get one big foot controller. with Presets programmed in.

A few questions.

1) What all would I need? I'm assuming I'd need some sort of rackmounted multi-effects unit...
2) I want something that can switch channels on an amp. I'm saving up for a Mesa Mark V at the moment, so assume that I'll be using this rig with that amp. I'm pretty sure that the Mark V can work with this kind of set up.
3) Are there rackmounted wah pedals? I'd like to be able to get all my effects from the rack so that I don't need a power supply down on the pedal board.

Thanks in advance...I have no clue about building a rack, or what kind of rack enclosure to get.

-Sean
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by Jhachey22
1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDZpZmqddo&feature=related
2) see ^
3)Dunop makes a Rackmounted Wah, but it's just as easy to have a regular one sitting beside the controller

Alright, cool. I'd probably just use the tuner and wah that I already have then.

Is there a way to be able to take my current FX Stomp Boxes (Such as Delay, Reverb, Chorus, and OD) and make them work with the Foot Controller presets?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Okay, I've done a little more research.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Footswitch: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GControlPro/

Power Conditioner: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M8x2/

Audio Switcher: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Voodoo-Lab-GCX-Guitar-Audio-Switcher?sku=183401 (I saw that this would help to integrate pedals like the Tubescreamer into the Footswitch Controller).

Multi FX: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GMajor2

Would all of these things work together? Also, how does the channel switching work with the Mark V? It doesn't look like it has a Midi jack.
Quote by rmr024

IMO just get a T.C. Electronic G-System with the Mark V.

Connect the G-system with the 4 cable method, and you can use 4 relay's from the Mark V to change channels with the G-system on the Mark V. You can add a WAH to this setup pretty easily. You can also rack-mount the "brain" of the G-system and only run 1 cable from the rack to the floor board.

Very expensive, but IMO its super convenient. I'm saving for this eventually with my MarkIV/ENGL.

Its very easy to run 2 amps with this setup as well.

EDIT:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-GSystem-Integrated-Guitar-Effects-and-Controller?sku=153004

You consolidate your foot controller / loops / FX into 1 unit.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by mespinos
IMO just get a T.C. Electronic G-System with the Mark V.

Connect the G-system with the 4 cable method, and you can use 4 relay's from the Mark V to change channels with the G-system on the Mark V. You can add a WAH to this setup pretty easily. You can also rack-mount the "brain" of the G-system and only run 1 cable from the rack to the floor board.

Very expensive, but IMO its super convenient. I'm saving for this eventually with my MarkIV/ENGL.

Its very easy to run 2 amps with this setup as well.

EDIT:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-GSystem-Integrated-Guitar-Effects-and-Controller?sku=153004

You consolidate your foot controller / loops / FX into 1 unit.

It looks like I'm paying more just for the simplicity.

If I buy all the stuff in my last post, not only would it give me more effects and options, it would also cost less.
Quote by rmr024

^
That's true, I like the idea of 1 simple thing.

Also, I think the G-system's FX are on par with the G-Force ($1400 as well), it just has less flexibility. I'm not sure where the GMaj 2 stands there, but I'm pretty sure that the G-Force is better.
/rig
So how does Midi channel switching work with the mark V, and would the Ground Control Pro work with it?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
So how does Midi channel switching work with the mark V, and would the Ground Control Pro work with it?

It differs with any midi system, they all have different methods for switching with different amplifiers. Any good system you buy will have a cable that will allow you to switch the channels on your mark V.

But here is another alternative that is far more versatile than most allowing you to do literally anything and it is not outrageously priced for what you get. If you couple it with this guy here your possibilities are endless. It is for sure the easiest/most reliable midi system i have seen. If you have a spare 30 minutes or so check out how easy this thing is on dave weiner's youtube channel. After you watch him set up his rack units you will be blown away and gassing for sure... I know i have

EDIT: ill just leave this here http://www.youtube.com/user/rjmmusic#p/u/22/NKK_2ZG1DdQ but seriously if you watch this whole series of videos even if your not looking to buy an rjm it will give you a good general idea of how all midi systems work.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by schtick_bomb at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by schtick_bomb
It differs with any midi system, they all have different methods for switching with different amplifiers. Any good system you buy will have a cable that will allow you to switch the channels on your mark V.

But here is another alternative that is far more versatile than most allowing you to do literally anything and it is not outrageously priced for what you get. If you couple it with this guy here your possibilities are endless. It is for sure the easiest/most reliable midi system i have seen. If you have a spare 30 minutes or so check out how easy this thing is on dave weiner's youtube channel. After you watch him set up his rack units you will be blown away and gassing for sure... I know i have

EDIT: ill just leave this here http://www.youtube.com/user/rjmmusic#p/u/22/NKK_2ZG1DdQ but seriously if you watch this whole series of videos even if your not looking to buy an rjm it will give you a good general idea of how all midi systems work.

Awesome, watching it now!
Quote by rmr024

For a wah, check out the Dunlop 2SR. You only need to power the rack unit, unless you want the LED on the expression pedal to light up, if not its just one cable to the pedal.
IIRC the G-System has the best quality effects of the TC line, the G-Force is behind that and the G-Majors are their lowest end guitar FX units (although they're still great units)
If I were you I'd probably go for the G-Force and control everything with a single MIDI controller like the Ground Control Pro.
Quote by littlephil
For a wah, check out the Dunlop 2SR. You only need to power the rack unit, unless you want the LED on the expression pedal to light up, if not its just one cable to the pedal.
IIRC the G-System has the best quality effects of the TC line, the G-Force is behind that and the G-Majors are their lowest end guitar FX units (although they're still great units)
If I were you I'd probably go for the G-Force and control everything with a single MIDI controller like the Ground Control Pro.

Alright, that might be the direction I go.

My only question is, how does the Mark V work with the Ground Control Pro? There's no Midi jack on the Mark V.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Alright, that might be the direction I go.

My only question is, how does the Mark V work with the Ground Control Pro? There's no Midi jack on the Mark V.

There will be an adapter that will work for it. Im not familiar with the input for the foot controller o the mark v, but if its anything like the rectos then it will be a series of mono jacks that will activate different channels and such. But basically if a footswitch can control channel switching on an amp then a midi system can, its all about using the right cable and just programming it correctly.

But watch this video and skip ahead to 2:30 and youll see how this works, any midi system should function this way. http://www.youtube.com/user/rjmmusic#p/u/14/VDi7JhSxVfQ
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

If the ground control has relay switches, you can switch channels / features with that. Thats the cheapest way to go. You use TRS jacks from the ground control to the mark V's individual footswitch 1/4 jacks.

Or you could get the amp gizmo. More expensive, less cables, more features.

IMO for most stuff the relay switches will work fine. The G - system has 2 stereo relay jacks, so you can control 4 switching functions with it. Not sure about the ground control.
/rig
^Hit it right on the head. The individual external footswitches for each channel are designed to be used for midi on the Mark V. On the Mark IVA it used to be called Midi external switching. MEsa Boogie a long time ago used to make something called ,iirc , Midi MAtrix. And it was well midi channel switching. it was relatively cheap too. Just hit up old google and the boogie boards about it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 25, 2010,