So I was looking around and the general trend seems to be that if you were to buy a head and cab together it will cost more than the equivalent combo. An example of this would be the Tweaker, where the head+cab is $650 and the combo is $580. What is the reason for this exactly, and is there some benefit to having a head and cab over a combo that I'm not aware of? Is sound quality usually noticeably different between the two types? Thanks for the help.
The cab could have better, more expensive speakers in that the combo.
Technically there is more wood haha.

But it's mainly just a way of companies getting more money off of you.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
A head and cab takes more time to make (2 separate items instead of one.) and they would use more materials building them.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Yeah, extra wood and labour

In the long run (by the time you get a second amp) head/cabs are cheaper than combos, and less space consuming.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Yeah, extra wood and labour

In the long run (by the time you get a second amp) head/cabs are cheaper than combos, and less space consuming.

+1, they also add modularity to your rig. More room to spread out and try new stuff. I've decided I'm done buying combos now, it's just too restricting.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
^ Agreed, its much easier having the flexibility of your own combo and choosing which head you want. These days, a lot of heads have variable impedance so its not a problem mixing and matching like that.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Okay thanks guys. I appreciate the help. So I guess I'll just bite the bullet now and get the head and cab to save in the long run.
Quote by Tigerfang
Okay thanks guys. I appreciate the help. So I guess I'll just bite the bullet now and get the head and cab to save in the long run.

Thing is, you'll find the speakers in the cab could be inferior quality as that's definitely a cheap cab. It's only really worth it with good quality stuff.
this is a valid question.

i just don't understand why a head by itself sometimes cost more than like a 2x12 combo version of the same amp. I mean I feel like the cost of speakers and more wood and tolex and everything in a combo would make it more expensive..... (not including the cab)
that's only used prices though. I dont think i've ever seen a head cost more then a combo new.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by dandadog
Thing is, you'll find the speakers in the cab could be inferior quality as that's definitely a cheap cab. It's only really worth it with good quality stuff.

Wait so the cab may have worse speakers than the combo? Or are you just saying its not a top quality cab compared to others?
Quote by handbanana
this is a valid question.

i just don't understand why a head by itself sometimes cost more than like a 2x12 combo version of the same amp. I mean I feel like the cost of speakers and more wood and tolex and everything in a combo would make it more expensive..... (not including the cab)

Are you sure you aren't looking at, say, a 50 watt combo and a 100 watt head version? I've never seen what you're saying happen ever.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Well I mean for example, I'm pretty sure the 120 watt 6505 212 combo costs the same price as a 6505 head new. Don't they both go for $1200 new? Don't understand how they even out to the same price
Quote by handbanana
Well I mean for example, I'm pretty sure the 120 watt 6505 212 combo costs the same price as a 6505 head new. Don't they both go for $1200 new? Don't understand how they even out to the same price

ah, yes the 6505+ head and the 6505 combo are the same price. The normal 6505 head is $1000.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
the regular 6505 is only 999. the combo is 1200 the 6505+ is 1200 for the head.

op, the tweaker cab and combo both use the same speaker. but ideally if you were going to buy a head and speaker separately you'd save up a bit more and spring for a cab that would last you a while.
I thought that the head + cab cost more because cabs generally have 2 more speakers than combos.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I thought that the head + cab cost more because cabs generally have 2 more speakers than combos.

um... no
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by AcousticMirror
the head and cab uses more wood.

And also more wiring (in a combo there is one wire from speaker to chassis, in a cab/head setup there is a wire going to the input jack on the cab and a wire going to the output jack on the amp). This also means more man hours to make.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
And also more wiring (in a combo there is one wire from speaker to chassis, in a cab/head setup there is a wire going to the input jack on the cab and a wire going to the output jack on the amp). This also means more man hours to make.

I mean ya but with machine construction there's no real reason to charge that much more. the difference with jet cities is like 50 bucks.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
um... no

Can you explain why not?

I mean, it seems logical to me that an amp + 2 speakers would cost less than an amp + 4 speakers in a separate cab.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Can you explain why not?

I mean, it seems logical to me that an amp + 2 speakers would cost less than an amp + 4 speakers in a separate cab.

Not everyone has a halfstack. They DO make cabs with 1 or 2 speakers.
Head and cab using more wood, more labor, more time to make, and costs more to ship to wherever it's going.

It's worth a head + cab, though, because if you want a new amp, you just swap heads. Which is why you get a combo with an extension out, which gives you an excuse to get the best of both worlds
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by SwampAshSpecial

The extra length of the 2 wires from speaker to amp would cost like 0.5p.

Most combos ive played have the ability to disconect the speaker, meaning its only an extra jack, which is like £1.

I could wire that up in like 5 mins.

Cab construction tends to be better than combo form, and more wood goes into it. The price difference isnt really justified though, it just looks cooler, shit that looks cooler tends to cost more.
Quote by phoenix_crush
Not everyone has a halfstack. They DO make cabs with 1 or 2 speakers.

You don't have to facepalm me. I'm very aware of the fact. I just thought that was what was being discussed. Generally, as in most of the time, a cab refers to a 4X12 half stack. No, not all cabs are, but most are, and that's what I thought we were talking about, that's all.

Sorry. I'm not familiar with Tweakers.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You don't have to facepalm me. I'm very aware of the fact. I just thought that was what was being discussed. Generally, as in most of the time, a cab refers to a 4X12 half stack. No, not all cabs are, but most are, and that's what I thought we were talking about, that's all.

Sorry. I'm not familiar with Tweakers.

What are you talking about? People don't usually mean a 4x12 when they say cab. And in no way are most cabs 4x12. You're making facts up.
Quote by AcousticMirror
the regular 6505 is only 999. the combo is 1200 the 6505+ is 1200 for the head.

op, the tweaker cab and combo both use the same speaker. but ideally if you were going to buy a head and speaker separately you'd save up a bit more and spring for a cab that would last you a while.

Thanks for the help, but what kind of speaker would you recommend in place of the matching one?
I dunno. For a small lightweight amp like that I'd actually grab the combo. It will retain it's value better. Otherwise you'd be left with a 112 cab if u sold the head. It's not that worth. Now the gc sells orange I'd say the ppc212ob cab is one of the best they carry but that will almost double ur budget.
Hmmmm yeah I don't think I could swing that cab unless I found a deal on a used one, so yeah I'll definitely consider the combo, provided my local gc has one in stock. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by phoenix_crush
What are you talking about? People don't usually mean a 4x12 when they say cab. And in no way are most cabs 4x12. You're making facts up.

Are these not cabs then? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Amp-Cabinets-Guitar-Amplifiers1,Page-1.gc?ipp=15

Do I have my terminology wrong? Because most of those are 4x12's, and I was under the impression that a cab was an enclosure that any number of speakers go into that does not include an amp, but has an input wired to the speaker(s) for an amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Are these not cabs then? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Amp-Cabinets-Guitar-Amplifiers1,Page-1.gc?ipp=15

Do I have my terminology wrong? Because most of those are 4x12's, and I was under the impression that a cab was an enclosure that any number of speakers go into that does not include an amp, but has an input wired to the speaker(s) for an amp.

You still shouldn't generalize though.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson