I would appreciate some feedback on adjusting the action on my Seagull S6 Coastline Folk Guitar.

What do you do if you sand the bottom of the saddle down ( my action at 12th fret is 5/32" )
and it is going to make the strings very close to the bridge.The hight of the string from the 12th fret is a whopping 5/32"!

My neck is straight on my Seagull S6 Folk (that is bran new) No adjustment is needed to truss rod, fretting the E
string at 1st fret and fretting same string at 14th fret at same time there is an acceptable
clearance of .008-.010 relief at 6-7th fret)..
I lay the straight edge down the frets to the bridge and the bridge is about 1/8" higher.
It is hard to believe that a bran new guitar would need a neck reset.. There are no gaps
under fretboard or where neck is glued to guitar body. A neck reset is not a feasable solution as
I payed $300.00 for the guitar..
The Nut has been filed or maybe because of the light strings they are below the surface of the nut, the low E and A string are the only strings that are not below
the top of the slots in the nut.( I have read atleast half the dia.of the string should be above nut slot.) I assume this is why the action is acceptable in the 1st position.
The saddle that is in the guitar now is only sticking up 1/8" on Low E side and 3/32
on high E..

So really I don't have much room to sand off the bottom of saddle before the strings hit the bridge itself.

So the cheap fix is to sand down the bottom of the new saddle I bought (just incase I mess
up I can just put old one back in) and see how close the strings are to the bridge ? If the
strings hit bridge while bending a string or just vibrating I have to sand the top of the
bridge down for clearance?
The bridge itself is 21/64ths thick and the saddle sticks inside
it quite a ways but how much can I get away with when sanding the bridge itself before it
weakens and possibly cracks.Or makes the saddle lean and messes with intonation?

I would like to get the action down to atleast .110" on low E at the 12th fret, The difference is about .046. That would mean taking .092 off saddle. If I do that I think I have .020 clearance between saddle and bridge (if that much). The top of the guitar has a little bit of a dip or hump in it. I am trying to think of a solution to fix it so this guitar can be a pleasure to play.. 1st position is fine.When I get past 5th fret it is not so fun to play..I look at many of the reviews for the S6 Folk and this has not been an issue
Any advice other than a neck reset is appreciated.Seagulls have a limited Lifetime warrenty..This didnt happen from neglect or by something I did by accident..But who knows how long that would take to claim..I enjoy the sound of the guitar and just would like it fixed so I can learn more easily.
Thanks,
Craig
Last edited by CRAIGARRR at Jul 27, 2010,
It's fairly common for even quality guitars to be shipped with a rather high action; the thought being that picky guitarists will have their own notion of what's good, so they can have the instrument set up to their liking.
It's relatively easy to take an action "down", no so to raise it up again.

Here's the link from Frets.com as to the standard adjustments to be used when setting up a guitar, and how to do it:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician
Check the "instrument setup" section.

I would not recommend just pulling your instrument apart and getting out the sandpaper and files. Best would be to take the guitar to any decent shop... A basic action job is not particularly expensive.
If you are intent on doing the work yourself, read the articles carefully and make sure you have the proper tools and materials. Proceed slowly. It's easy to ruin a saddle or nut.
i suggest you have a qualified luthier or tech check it out. having a professional opinion would be helpful. then you can go from there.

btw, if you bought it recently, why not return it or let the seller pay a luthier to fix it? if you bought it from a decent seller, they should do something to make sure you're happy. if you bought it from an asshat, paypal will make sure something is done to make you happy unless you bought from someone who completely disappeared.
Just a little off topic TS, how does it sound? Wanna try this model but the local store does not have it so I'm not able to do so
There's a review, but not much about the guitar's performance per se
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrTZgBb3f4
Quote by obeythepenguin
If you want the Martin, accept no substitute -- save up and get the Martin.

Yes
Quote by NonSleeper
Just a little off topic TS, how does it sound? Wanna try this model but the local store does not have it so I'm not able to do so
There's a review, but not much about the guitar's performance per se
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrTZgBb3f4

This guitar sounds incredible!! Might be because the action is so high? But the sound just resonates inside the body.. Sometimes letting a string sound out if you listen long enough ( usually when I am trying to figure out where to put my fingers for the next chord, newbie player here..) it almost sounds like it plays another string set off from the vibration.. It is an awesome sounding guitar .. It BOOMS!!! And that is why I waited and was trying to learn more on my Ovation so I could make this guitar sound as good as it could sound, and not just how bad I played.. lol if you know what I mean. Buy it.. You will love it!! BTW that is one of the reviews that got me to finally decide to get the guitar!
UPDATE:
I found out the reason the action is so high is because the body of the guitar is bowed behind the bridge and that has raised the bridge itself. What steps can be taken to cure this? All I want is action to be normal at .100" . If I mess with saddle I still have same problems as I stated before. If I have a luthier mess with a neck reset if/when belly drops then I run into just the opposite situation. How to lower the body so the bridge lowers so the action becomes normal again. It is just sitting in it's case in a properly humidified room (no higher than 55% humidity) , but the belly is still bulging. Will it ever lower on it's own? And if it does will I have to put up with a .156" action every summer?
Very frustrated.. Might just go up on Ebay at a loss to someone who likes action at .156".. I am a beginner and fingers hurt playing on a bunch of loaded springs!
Why would u put it on eBay if it's a brand new guitar? If it's messed up bring it back to where you bought it.
what you need to show here is where the neck joins the body, but it does sound like it needs a neck reset. if it's brand new, and you haven't had high tension strings on it, why not just exchange it? either that or you have VERY high humidity and a hygrometer that doesn't work. and i've seen more hygrometers that are off than not.
UPDATE:
Well I took the Seagull to Guitar Center for some professional advice.. There are actual techs there that you can talk to.. The Tech said he was sure after he straightened the neck more he could shave the saddle down and it would be a nice action.. It took him an hour and only cost me 32 dollars plus I put some nice D'Addario EXP16 Light 12-53 strings on.( a bit expensive but I guess they last a while, they feel a bit wierd, kinda like touching a glass from the dishwasher with a damp hand.. almost squeeky if you know what I mean) The sound on the Seagull now is incredible! So damn bright and not buzzy from having to clamp down on the strings like a vise, no need any more.I will be able to start learning Barre Chords now on it for sure! Action is down to .110" and what a pleasure to play the pentatonic scales in 5th position. Is an entirely different guitar now! The saddle is bearly sticking up from the bridge but the strings wont hit bridge, no matter how hard I play, so that works for me! I still have the other saddle I bought and if it starts buzzing as the summer ends , I can just replace the saddles for different seasons.or adjust truss rod a tweak.
I guess all new guitars need a good tweak during that first initial set -up.. It is the most that it will move out side from a controled humidified factory setting. Just one more thing I have learned!
I should have just went in for a set up in first place , just to see what could have been done. Oh well , I learned tons with all the research I did and with all your help.
As frustrated as it was.
If I learned the same thing, I would do it all over again this way! Next time I will be so much more knowledgeable.. I guess thats the way it was suppose to work out!
'Scuze me, I gotta go JAM out now !!
Craig
Last edited by CRAIGARRR at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by CRAIGARRR
UPDATE:
Well I took the Seagull to Guitar Center for some professional advice.. There are actual techs there that you can talk to.. The Tech said he was sure after he straightened the neck more he could shave the saddle down and it would be a nice action.. It took him an hour and only cost me 32 dollars plus I put some nice D'Addario EXP16 Light 12-53 strings on.( a bit expensive but I guess they last a while, they feel a bit wierd, kinda like touching a glass from the dishwasher with a damp hand.. almost squeeky if you know what I mean) The sound on the Seagull now is incredible! So damn bright and not buzzy from having to clamp down on the strings like a vise, no need any more.I will be able to start learning Barre Chords now on it for sure! Action is down to .110" and what a pleasure to play the pentatonic scales in 5th position. Is an entirely different guitar now! The saddle is bearly sticking up from the bridge but the strings wont hit bridge, no matter how hard I play, so that works for me! I still have the other saddle I bought and if it starts buzzing as the summer ends , I can just replace the saddles for different seasons.or adjust truss rod a tweak.
I guess all new guitars need a good tweak during that first initial set -up.. It is the most that it will move out side from a controled humidified factory setting. Just one more thing I have learned!
I should have just went in for a set up in first place , just to see what could have been done. Oh well , I learned tons with all the research I did and with all your help.
As frustrated as it was.
If I learned the same thing, I would do it all over again this way! Next time I will be so much more knowledgeable.. I guess thats the way it was suppose to work out!
'Scuze me, I gotta go JAM out now !!
Craig

You've got my congratulations!
And jealousy
Quote by obeythepenguin
If you want the Martin, accept no substitute -- save up and get the Martin.

Yes