As of right now my band and I haven't been able to hunt down a karaoke-esque mic thing for practicing, so I figured maybe we could hook a mic into my guitar amp (I'm drumming so it's not being used), and amplify our singer's voice that way. However, I'm concerned that this might damage my speaker.

I've heard that iPods are a bad idea (especially on new speakers, which mine is) since they're generally outside the speaker's frequency range. This is the only amp I have that's really worth anything and I don't want to risk screwing it up. Anyone know for sure?
I'm going to have to buy some sort of small PA.

MONEY MONEY MONEY, that I don't have.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
It's not a great idea, but I can't count on my fingers and toes how many times I've seen people run vocals through a shitty 15w frontman when practicing. If it's a decent amp that you don't want stuff busted on, then don't. If it's an amp you don't care about, by all means.
Save up for a powered speaker meant for PA usage. Most of them have an EQ as well as the mic input so you wouldn't need a mixer right away, and you can chain multiples of them together later as you build onto it.

Remember, the voice is an INSTRUMENT. Try to spend the same amount on the voice as you would any other instrument. i.e., if you spend $350 on a Squier Strat and $300 on a Frontman 212R (or something like that setup) try to spend a good $700 or so on getting a good vocal setup. Vocals should take high priority if they are present.

Tell us how much would you be willing to spend on some PA gear, and maybe we can help you out...
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I mean it's a modeling amp or a solid state amp then whatever, you might hurt the speaker but you're safe if you keep the volume low. a tube amp would be a bad idea.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by derekgray
Save up for a powered speaker meant for PA usage. Most of them have an EQ as well as the mic input so you wouldn't need a mixer right away, and you can chain multiples of them together later as you build onto it.

Remember, the voice is an INSTRUMENT. Try to spend the same amount on the voice as you would any other instrument. i.e., if you spend $350 on a Squier Strat and $300 on a Frontman 212R (or something like that setup) try to spend a good $700 or so on getting a good vocal setup. Vocals should take high priority if they are present.

Tell us how much would you be willing to spend on some PA gear, and maybe we can help you out...

At the moment, not much. We haven't even gotten to the practicing stage yet and are really just looking for a way to hear our singer over the other instruments so we can tell if we suck or not. Down the road we'd probably be willing to spend some money, but it's a little impractical right now.
Quote by strat-rocker-06
At the moment, not much. We haven't even gotten to the practicing stage yet and are really just looking for a way to hear our singer over the other instruments so we can tell if we suck or not. Down the road we'd probably be willing to spend some money, but it's a little impractical right now.

Well I hate to say it but if you want to hear the singer over the other instruments, and actually make out the vocals rather than just hearing added noise to the mix, you guys will need to drop a few hundred at least.

You could try something like this on a pole for $200:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-F1220A-12-125W-Powered-Monitor?sku=582089

But it will probably only get you to the point of 'hearing' the vocals, and not 'hearing your singer', if you know what I'm saying.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Maybe you should sell the unused amp...
If the guitar amp is a tube and does work, you might get tube breakup on the vocals. I quite like the idea, but you might not...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It works, but it will feedback very easily and will sound like crap.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by derekgray
Well I hate to say it but if you want to hear the singer over the other instruments, and actually make out the vocals rather than just hearing added noise to the mix, you guys will need to drop a few hundred at least.

You could try something like this on a pole for $200:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-F1220A-12-125W-Powered-Monitor?sku=582089

But it will probably only get you to the point of 'hearing' the vocals, and not 'hearing your singer', if you know what I'm saying.

That could work, and we could probably get something better if we went used. Two of us have jobs so we might be able to throw together enough cash, if this whole thing works at all. Maybe we'll play unplugged and I'll just drum really quietly to see if we have any "chemistry" (or something) going on before we go and spend a couple hundred bucks. None of us have ever really been in a band before so we're kind of making it up as we go.

Quote by Emperor's Child
Maybe you should sell the unused amp...
If the guitar amp is a tube and does work, you might get tube breakup on the vocals. I quite like the idea, but you might not...

It's a SS amp and I play guitar pretty frequently, just not in the band. The breakup thing does sound like it'd be cool though.

If anyone else has any genius ideas, feel free to put in your two cents.
You could play with just guitars and no drums, on really low volume with his voice. If you just need to see if his voice will work or not, you don't need every single instrument behind him, imo. In your head, you can imagine what it would sound like with drums.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You could play with just guitars and no drums, on really low volume with his voice. If you just need to see if his voice will work or not, you don't need every single instrument behind him, imo. In your head, you can imagine what it would sound like with drums.

That's true; that honestly hadn't occurred to me.

Also, not that it's relevant to this, but our singer is a girl, just to keep the pronouns straight (I'm a bit of a grammar freak )